• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Suggestion Guide to Creating a Corporation

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Going through the questions forum one of the recurring questions I saw asked was how to create a corporation:
I propose the creation of a guide on making a great corporation for Star Army including dos and don'ts like:
  • Work within a faction
  • Make something, don't make everything
  • Finding a niche: Make things people (and SARP) actually need
  • Setting reasonable prices
  • Maintaining stuff over time
  • Any advice you guys want to offer in this thread

• Don't create something big, but begin small.
    • The common problem that happens is that people want to make big companies that provide everything (stated above). Additionally, they create big companies that are widely spread. This makes it difficult to explain where their profit comes from or how it comes to that stage. Start small and work yourself upwards by connecting yourself with other companies and other factions.
  • Don't create something out of fin air, have a solid basis.
    • Creating corporations is one thing, but to actually put them into action is another. Think about how you want to form your corporation and play it out in RP. Contact other companies about potential ideas or interest in products. The path to success is there for the grabbing, the best way is to RP it out!
  • Don't take over the market
    • While it is tempted to take over the market when you are a strong corporation, it is actually advised not to proceed with this path. It leads to market monopoly which makes it difficult for other starting companies to take a position and it can be very irritating when there is a huge player on the market trying to dominate it.
  • Not everything is perfect.
    • To be perfect is to have flaws, make it so that your company has some corporate flaws, dirty rumors that are developed over time, or restrictions in certain areas. For example, a company based in Nepleslia shall not do the immediate business with Yamatai, but won't publically admit to it. This gives a nice dynamic in creating a unique standpoint for your company and for other players.
  • Can I eat this gun?
    • The common thing that is seen in SARP is that every company is mostly focused on weapons and ammo. Try to create a company that is not focused on that market and goes with something that is unique and as stated wanted.

Last edited:
I forgot something that I even have to do myself.
  • So what do you have to offer?
    • Basically, a shortlist of RP opportunities. Why? Because it is important for people to contact you with a good reason, if I am looking for a service that your company provides I like to see that and I will contact you because of it. Now you don't have to put a whole list of 20 reasons why I should RP with your company, but a top 5 would give a good insight.

• The common thing that is seen in SARP is that every company is mostly focused on weapons and ammo. Try to create a company that is not focused on that market and goes with something that is unique and as stated wanted.
This is actually something I've thought about a bit, as Osman Heavy Industries originally started as a company providing construction services, not a company building war machinery. One barrier, I think, for a lot of ideas (though weapons are by no means excluded from this) is that they run into the problem of "Who will use it?"

With things like guns and military hardware, though many such items go largely unused, there's at least an easily identifiable potential buyer (The parent faction's military). I think one thing we could be doing as to help promote a better diversity of products and services is to use and purchase each others's services and products more frequently, and to work together OOC to try to make sure that stuff doesn't just sit unused.

This is actually something I've thought about a bit, as Osman Heavy Industries originally started as a company providing construction services, not a company building war machinery. One barrier, I think, for a lot of ideas (though weapons are by no means excluded from this) is that they run into the problem of "Who will use it?"

With things like guns and military hardware, though many such items go largely unused, there's at least an easily identifiable potential buyer (The parent faction's military). I think one thing we could be doing as to help promote a better diversity of products and services is to use and purchase each others's services and products more frequently, and to work together OOC to try to make sure that stuff doesn't just sit unused.
I definitely agree with that, what I did for example with Sunavi is to provide a service that is needed and actually missing in SARP in a way. Transport is something everyone needs, so I reached out not to other corporations, but to factions and asked if they could use it. That actually got my business rolling with funding that helped greatly.

The thing that I noticed while building NPC corporations is to look at the faction setting, stage of development, and the impact of what the Kuvexians war had done to an economical status. For example, in the case of NDC, they can use refinery companies and construction companies. So going back to what Osman Heavy Industries is, would be easy found in NDC seeing they have new colonies and building their future.

I also agree that working together is the key to it all, I am reaching out slowly to companies that have a visa versa feeling. So if I (most likely) need a construction company I rather contact your company than reinvent the wheel. But those sweet deals can be RPed out and the vibe for business RP is set that brings you to unique settings from NDC to Yamatai space back to Nepleslia.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back