• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Handgun Usage

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Just out of curiosity, when's the last time your character(s) used a handgun? I'm not talking about power armor weapons here, I mean normal pistols or energy pistols. Is it still actually useful to have characters carrying sidearms?

Laiz pistols have been pretty important in Setareh Wing.

Rei used the butt of her service pistol to reconfigure a Nep's face in a JP not too long ago.

Yukari is using one right now. And uses hers often, as you're not always in PA.

Something you're considering, Wes?

ACTUAL NEPLESLIAN HANDGUN TECHNIQUE

"Handguns are not good for rapid incapacitation, but we will expect you to use them for rapid incapacitation." - Police Firearms Instructor Guy

Handguns are useless against most targets in SARP, largely because they are stuck in the Personal category of weapons, and most everyone has power armor. Of course on 188604 almost no-one has power armor so pistols are quite useful!

Last time a handgun was used was right after the salvage event, Jason brought some pistols to show to Uso, and started twirling one around on his finger. Uso taught him proper firearm saftey by taking apart the pistol and throwing the parts everywhere. The small Zen Arms Machine-pistols are also widely used by the 188604 crew.

Elsewhere, Hanako is constantly using her pistol as part of her uniform. Much like swords back in they day they are often more decorative than actual weaponry.

Aside from Shiho who is in power armor for most fights she's ever been in, every one of my other characters has used sidearms in every fight they've been in.

Because pistols look cool in my mind.

Navian used hers to shoot open a crate. She might have used it a bit more, since the Type 33 rifle runs out of ammunition quickly, but she ended up breaking out an artillery piece instead.

I'm not sure this is a good example, since it was a special case, with her being attacked in friendly space before she could be assigned powered armour.

In the real world soldiers don't walk around packing heat all the time. And even guards are assigned a specific, limited amount of ammunition. That said, it kind of makes sense for SAoY personnel to always have a pistol at their side considering how crazy, dangerous, and random their main opponent, the Mishhuvurthyar, tend to behave. Plus, like Zack said, it seems to be kind of like carrying a sword in their culture.

Saiga's always used a Type 28 SMG as his preferred sidearm because it's the same size as an NSP and can spew effectively unlimited death really quickly. I think it's nice to have NSPs as part of the uniform because letting bridge bunnies and other ship-based dudes repel boarders is always fun.

My mewser carries his Type 33 Dark NSP everywhere because he's currently living on 188604 and he never knows when some bandit or guy who dislikes him for being a space person could attack. He used it to threaten a dude recently and to defend himself when he got attacked by "Jetstream" Kiri an adorable Neko who had a sword that could intercept and negate his projectiles and destroy matter just by being near it.

Vekimen on duty aren't allowed to walk around without both a primary and a secondary. I had Edtoto go for her Secondary in Heartbreaker M3 but her arm got cut off before she could fire it. I guess it's all a matter of "Do you personally want your character to use a Pistol." Now that she has powerarmour, she is eons more likely to try and eat someone than she is to pull out a weapon. Look at dat meatgrinder O.O

Remember kids, it's faster to pull your sidearm than it is to reload... Of course if you even /need/ to reload that is.

I had Candon Suites packing a pair of model 38s when he boarded a space station. Used in tandem with his flying sword they were a pretty slick element for a cinema style double takedown. I'm planning a story arch around Candon that'll involve heavy use of pistols and suppressed ballistic weapons.

Tam is basically a walking gun-rack most of the time, and recently he's made use of both his revolver and a NSP to deal with Mishhu onboard the Junpu. Dies has had to make use of his Xraser pistol a few times to deal with things in other rps and even Sawyer has had to make use of handguns while not in his armor.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back