• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Hands-On Journalism, Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Um, that was a highly unusual mode of transportation," said Tommy after his feet touched firm ground again. "But also highly efficient. So, um, thank you. Where am I?"

The Mindy said in a deep female voice, "NS-X1-251, YSS Onegai." Tommy might notice the rest of the Mindy armors in the back were not the same as this one. The one that had picked him up was a semi-glossy black, while the ones on the wall were the typical cadet blue favored by the Star Army and seen on its new logo. Something was strange about this Nekovalkyrja that had rescued him.

Tommy scratched his head as he looked at the black Mindy. "Did the Star Army send you to retrieve me? I think I was supposed to be on one of the 1st Expeditionary Fleet's ships. But I got here too late, I think."

"I was sent by SAINT," the armor answered. "I'll need to take your camera...As for the YSS Rave, she was destroyed on her last mission."

"Yikes. I'm glad I missed it then. Here," said Tommy as he reluctantly handed over his camera to the Mindy pilot. This wasn't the first time Tommy had to surrender his camera to someone in authority. He briefly considered getting a cybernetic arm like his cousin, so that he could discreetly download the images to it. "In that case, where are you taking me?" he asked.

"It's just another tragic loss caused by those disgusting Mishhuvurthyar. I wouldn't think about it too much, Mr. Chen. I'll be making sure you get to Yamatai. Now tell me, did you see the rebels attack the skyscraper that fell?" The black armor shifted its position, it's shadowy six-foot-eleven stature crossing its arms and looking down at him imposingly.

Tommy shrugged. "Sorry. I was looking in the other direction at the time. The last thing I saw before I took cover was a lot of debris headed for me." His stomach gurgled angrily. "Um, there is a cafeteria on this ship, right?" he asked with an embarrassed look.

"No, but there is a wardroom," the armor answered. "I must say I'm disappointed," she said, looking down at the camera for a moment. "Off with you, get your food," she snarled.

Tommy nodded and exited the Mindy bay before his rescuer's mood further deteriorated. Not finding the surroundings familiar at all, he took out his datapad and requested for directions to the wardroom from the ship's computer.

The ship put a big floating arrow in the air for Tommy to follow to the wardroom. It was basically a straight shot down the hall, not far away. A passing crew member laughed quietly at the hologram.

Staying cool and casual, Tommy politely smiled and nodded at the crewmember as they passed each other. Once he reached the hatch to the wardroom, he poked his head inside and looked around.

There was only a single occupant, a huge gray troll, steadily chowing down on pork-fried rice. He grunted; whether or not it was directed at Tommy, was unknown. The wardroom was nicely upholstered, made with leather seats and marble tabletops. The adjacent kitchen emanated the aroma of Chinese food.

"Hello there. I was told that I could grab a meal here while they ship my butt back to Yamatai... Um, hope I'm not disturbing you," Tommy said to the troll as he wondered toward the kitchen, drawn by the smell of food.

"Urg..." the troll gave him what was either a nod of approval or the evil eye. It was impossible to tell. The Elvin cook in the kitchen uncovered the various dishes, which consisted of everything one would find at a Chinese buffet. Sweet and sour chicken, beef and broccoli, and other tasty items sat waiting for hungry crew to take. The chef seems pleased to see another person to eat it.

"Oh. Um, hi," said Tommy to the cook as he gave an awkward smile, suddenly aware of his disheveled appearance. He grabbed an empty plate and utensils from the buffet-styled table and gathered food onto the plate, then quickly exited the kitchen so that the elf didn't have to look at his disgusting and torn-up shirt anymore. He took at seat in the wardroom at a respectful distance away from the troll and dug in. It had been a while since he ate.

The Elf, one of the "mud elf" varieties, made sure that Tommy didn't get his own food. Man, was that reporter guy dirty! In military dining facilities, the server hands one the food, one cannot just take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back