• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission HAP Suppressor

Rizzo

Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=stararmy:weapons:ke-m2-w4001_heavy_aether_pistol:hap_suppressor
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
After discovering the Heavy Aether Pistol I discovered that among its accessories was a sound and flash suppressor, listed separately. After a brief chat about it on discord @Ametheliana stated that since it was approved by both Wes and the NTSE it was legit. Naturally I was stoked to see the first suppressable aether weapon on the site but without much of an explanation on how one would suppress an aether weapon at all I got to thinking.

Well that was dangerous! @Immortal Cyan, if your out there, I have an idea on how one might do just such a thing!

My theory is that by partially phasing the bolt it would carry the properties of not existing but since it is not fully phased it should still remain subject to collision with solid matter. Naturally modern shields would catch phased weapons fire anyway so it won’t be able to bypass shields. It’s kinda not breaking from the site rules since it’s only partially phased but in saying that it’s also partially tech that’s forbidden. Since I’m just wanting to preserve the wiki page from any retcon, now or later, I figured this could be a cool way to explain the ‘how’ of the FIRST EVER SUPPRESSED AETHER WEAPON!

@Wes is this something you would permit?

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
@Wes! Thank you for approving the suppressor for Yamatai but I wanted to make sure that you were aware of a change I made after getting some feedback on Discord.

after thinking about how the technology would theoretically work I applied the article to all existing SAOY aether weapons.
I forgot to document this in the thread.

Is that still acceptable?

New WIP link:

New destination URL:

Last edited:
So what are the downsides to this? Why doesn't literally everyone and their mother use this? It's using phasing tech, which we've had access to presumably ever since we started poking at mishuu wreckage.

I don’t know. If I had to guess I would still come up short. This is by far the most hand-waviest thing I have ever come up with in my life! Maybe it could cut the range of whatever it is installed on in half?
That would rule it out of the most Large scale space encounters.

EDIT:
@SirSkully has proved his inner genius with a suggestion. Cut the ROF in half.
I’m thinking both range and ROF reductions would be a very good reason to not have your general forces suppressed and even push clandestine or a covert operators to carry only one suppressed weapon and a standard as a backup.

Last edited:
First make sure the chart is all properly aligned, also in the chart there is a s in the nomenclature, is that a typo or should everything else have that. The next things, are a bit bigger.
  • The article in the summary says it works on all beam weapons of SAOY, but later it says aether weapons, which is it?
  • This wouldn't make an aether blat 'undetectable by sensors' that's a little too strong and too vague for an actual blast of energy, some kinda sensors would detect it. I would say that this 'does not leave residuals for sensors to detect' meaning that it can be detected at the moment of fire, but not afterwards
  • under function and design, the wiki is supposed to be 'all knowing' so it's probably best to leave out the second paragraph. There's no problem with giving a simplified explanation as long as it conveys the idea.
  • Also under function you say "not stable enough to pass through solid objects" is this a mistake? cause increasing stability would decrease ability to pass through objects through phasing.

Thanks for your thorough inspection!
I’ve gone through your list and made some more changes.
  • My intention was to convey that this technology works on all aether type weaponry fielded by the SAOY. I’ll update any spots to specifically refer to aether.
  • That’s a good point, I’ve altered that statement to say, ‘leaves no lasting energy signature for sensors to detect.’ It’s true that anything scanning for this type of anomaly would definitely find it since the amount of energy is so great.
  • Brevity might be best in regards to function. I don’t know how phasing even works! The second paragraph is no more.
  • This part might come down to me not having a thorough understanding of the subject. I imagine that a fully phased beam that is capable of passing through nonphased matter would be ‘stable’, thus by being slightly ‘unstable’ it would fail to behave as a fully phased object. This might be the wrong understanding of how phasing works. If it is, please instruct me Senpai!

Well your understanding is mostly correct. (at least from what we can understand of phasing) just the terms are a little backwards. A 'fully phased' object would be considered 'unstable'. As 'stability' is english refers to things being in a 'natural' or perpetual' state. Since it doesn't phase 'naturally' that would be the 'unstable' state.

I went through and made some small grammar corrections, but there is one line about the debris being phased. Technically there is nothing broken about this, but I want to ask @Wes about if this is okay. Because it does make recovery of debris difficult. The problem isn't the item itself, but the possible abuse other items might be able to do in the future because of it.

I hadn’t even thought of that. I’m not sure how it could be abused but thanks for looking into that for me as well as the grammar fixes!

In short, the abuse is if someone makes a large scale phasing device and then rather than having a concentrated beam, they have a 'floodlight' of energy that isn't concentrated enough to damage things, but with the phasing it just starts sending things into a phased state that it bathes with light. Of course that's grossly exaggerated, and the most extreme case, but there are smaller cases too. So it's just to make sure Wes is aware of the potential exploit people might try and gets things in place to stop it

I'll leave it up to your discretion as a reviewer.

Perhaps as a safety I can remove that part. I just thought it would be a cool effect. If it’s a risk to the setting it’s not worth keeping. I just want Invisibeam!

EDIT: it’s done, I made the change.

Last edited:
Alright that works too. Thank you @Rizzo and I appreciate your concern for the setting as a whole.

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

We'll go ahead and APPROVE this then

RPG-D RPGfix
Back