• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Hello, droogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerwiseVillain

Inactive Member
TigerwiseVillain here. I'm not actually new, strictly speaking; I set up an account last year, if I recall correctly, but I never really posted or joined a plot, which I'm guessing is why the account got deleted.

I'm unlikely to get along with any of you, but I'll try my luck regardless. I'm a cantankerous mad bastard from Canuckistan, and I'm looking to improve my writing skills. The only anime I've enjoyed thus far have been Berserk, FLCL, and Serial Experiments Lain, while in science fiction I favour the extremes of soft and hard: Blindsight, Event Horizon(though that one was a bit soft for me), Doctor Who, Futurama, A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Transmetropolitan. Neuromancer's a bit of an outlier for me, but I liked it well enough. I like cyberpunk for the skeptical take on the claim that technology will solve our problems, but not for the genre conventions.

I've tried my hand at DMing in DnD, but I find I get too caught up in setting details that have nothing to do with the players. I tend to treat fantasy roughly the same way that hard SF writers treat science fiction, so the settings I come up with usually have weird alien psychology for the nonhuman races and really overelaborate metaphysics to justify the presence of magic and all the other fantasy elements. I should probably write a novel like that, but it's a terrible way to run a game.

Naturally, this leaves me in an awkward position here. I'd like to get started in a roleplay, but Yamatai's too soft for my tastes and, in my opinion, completely abominable. Neplesia's about Event Horizon hard, but it's too full of grizzled space marines for my liking and has precious few open plots. The only faction I really like are the Freespacers, and I doubt I could do them justice even if I could find a plot to join. On top of it all, my work schedule's completely unpredictable, so I'll probably want a slow plot. Where would you recommend I begin, if at all?

Oooh, Yamatai too soft but Neps are too grizzled? Tough situation, but try poking about in the IRC. People will tell you about the available plots that aren't kitty or spessmericuh related.

Welcome to the forums mate! Just don't try to apply superhard science to it and you'll be fine.

I'm sorry, but the meme you are trying to reference has not connected. Please explain, or for delivery options press pound now.

My word Mog, you need to watch more telly. Most of what the Phoenix is runs on the Mantra.

That aside, welcome, Tiger Smart Antagonist! ... wait no that's not right, erm, nevermind. Also, you like Berserk and many other things with which I share a common interest. Huzzah!

Also, there's an opening in the Lorath if you're interested. We're fairly slow moving, and we're just getting started >> viewforum.php?f=163

Luca said:
My word Mog, you need to watch more telly. Most of what the Phoenix is runs on the Mantra.

That aside, welcome, Tiger Smart Antagonist! ... wait no that's not right, erm, nevermind. Also, you like Berserk and many other things with which I share a common interest. Huzzah!

Also, there's an opening in the Lorath if you're interested. We're fairly slow moving, and we're just getting started >> viewforum.php?f=163

The Lorath, eh? A faction even more politically abhorrent than Yamatai.
You do realize, of course, that if I'm to play the part of a wacky space Nazi I'll probably milk it for all it's worth. Right? As in "I VILL BE ZE VUN ASKINK ZE QVESTIONS HERE!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back