• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Hello everyone.

Soki Ryugamine

Inactive Member
I'm really, really bad at posting these introduction posts; but I'll give it my best go. Hello, I've been rping for the latter half of a decade now, I've also dabbled somewhat in collaboration writing with some friends of mine, but I've never really had a steady place to call home. I was looking through stuff I had done a while ago On Roleplay Gateway when I saw this place; I figured I'd check it out, and frankly I'm thrilled to be a part of this site; this world. I've spent the better half of two days so far trying to grow acclimated to everything there is on the wiki.

I have to be honest, I still feel overwhelmed with the knowledge, I'm cramming into my head, but; I'm looking forward to learning; as well as improving my writing skills. Well, to be honest I really don't know what else to say; lol I really meant it when I said I was bad at intros. I do have a character; my main character. I've used him for; well most of my rp'ing days; there's even a world me and a group of friends made (purely fantasy) Where he's thrived at, but I'd love to establish a version; here in this world my family, myself included being hardcore sci-fi fans. Though which faction; he'd fit best in I'm not sure. I've always played a more melee/stealth based character, and with the recommendation of placing him in either Star Army of Yamatai, or the Democratic Imperium of Neplelisa, but really; still trying to learn more about both factions, and where he'd be a better fit is difficult lol, but as such I really hope to fit in around here, and add to the already rich lore.

Hey Soki, nice to meet you. I know it can be hard to try to absorb everything here at first, so don't. If you try to take in everything at once you'll just break down. Treat it more like a MMO wiki. First you get a genral idea of what the place is about, then look at the stuff that applies to you as you are, and curiously dabble in the other places. It's easier to absorb that way.

As for characters, I know the value of consistent main characters, I have some myself. SARP though is pretty hard to fit character's into unless they're already built for sci-fi. If your guy is though, then the best way to figure out where he belongs is, thinking not about his job, but more his personality. What does he think is 'good government' and a 'good military' and how does he like society to behave. Those seem to be the big differences between the two major factions.

Thank you, and yeah true I shouldn't try and cram; but I'm a sucker for reading everything I can, specially when I like what I'm reading; and thanks for the tip. I didn't fully consider thinking about personality as a whole, in retrospect I should have; but didn't. That does seemingly make it a lot easier.

Now to just wrap my head around actually making the character, so much data and so very many ideas on how to build my character up. Once again though, thank you for the warm welcome, as well as the advice.

No problem, and if you picked your faction, find the plots that are possible ones for your character, and ask the GMs for them how much opportunity you'd have for stealth. Since you said that was one of your guy's things. GMs are fine with you asking questions.

Sounds great to me. I'm glad to have you aboard and I hope you like what you see and stick around. As you come up with questions, feel free to post them here and either me and/or other helpful posters will answer them ASAP.

Greetings and welcome!

To get you started, have a look at the New Player's Guide to get a brief overview of the major factions and how the site works. The SARPiverse is enormous, so spend some time browsing the wiki (which can be reached via a link in the bar on the top of this page). There is a lot of information on there, so don't feel like you have to know it all, and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to! I don't think anyone here is an expert on everything, but between all of the active players, somebody is bound to have the answers you're looking for.

There is also a list of active plots that you can choose from to cut your teeth on. In order to get better acquainted with the setting, I would strongly reccommend that you look into joining one of the long-running, established plots. Unfortunately, it seems that Nepleslian plots are lacking currently, and the ones that are running are moving at a relatively slow pace, so while you do have that option if Nepleslia is more attractive to you, Yamataian plots are far more numerous.

There are also a number of independent plots running if you prefer to play a civilian, mercenary, corporate employee, or freelancer-type character that is not part of any major faction military.

Alternatively, you can go to the Open Roleplaying forum and get right to RPing, since getting prior approval for your character is not required there. It is, however, considered good ettiquette to talk to the original poster of a thread before jumping in. That is, of course, unless you prefer to start your own and try to attract other players to RP with you there.

Whatever your tastes, the best thing you can do right now is take your time absorbing as much information as you can until you're comfortable enough with a specific area of the universe you're most interested in to get started there, and never stop referring to the wiki. I should point out that there is currently a big push to get some less detailed areas of the universe better fleshed out, so if you see anything that looks out of date or isn't clear to you, speak up! We can get it fixed easily, given that the right people get involved, or at least help you better understand it.

Don't be shy with your questions, and happy RPing!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back