• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Hello, Newbie here.

Wyld

Inactive Member
Okay, i have a (few) problems like, how do i veiw m own wiki page that has a link to my characters?

Other than the failure of reading the manual, thats about it.

i have a first chracter nearly ready to go, awaiting aproval(or rather, knowledge on how to send it so somone for aproval) And am currently, playing a compltete and utter greeny(but i still need to edit said page with a bti of history) to fit in with my lack of knowledge on the universe, becuase i refused to lurk before jumping right in.

Seriously if there is a button that can just take me to my wiki page i'd love it.

Hah, right. i figured that out after about an hour of staring at the screen on the various sections. it wasn't that fun.

I think there does need to be a more use freindly way to do it wothout searching for your own name, but that's just me.

Well what a lot of people do is they put most the stuff they make on their user page. So that they can just go to their user page, and then get to the majority of their work through that.

Hmmm... allright.

Well i have the character fully made as of now(mostly) i just need it aproved, and Yoshi is willing to take me aboard the soyakaze(most likely) i just need the character aproved and all that, so what exactly should i do with said character?

Hah, right. i figured that out after about an hour of staring at the screen on the various sections. it wasn't that fun.

I think there does need to be a more use freindly way to do it wothout searching for your own name, but that's just me.
A quick way is editing any page and then adding link to your character bio with the syntax [[Character:Character Name]] - then hit preview and follow the link your created in a new tab. You can cancel the edit if you don't want to leave it there.

On the wiki, we tell new people to to the above by editing the list of characters (here's the one for the Star Army of Yamatai) so they can see the format from all the other names already in there.

Thanks! that's a good idea. but i still do reccomend setting dedicated link to your home page for the sake of user friendliness.

The problem with such a link is:
  • Each character page is in a different location/URL
  • It's linking to a page that doesn't exist (yet)

Yeah i can see the issue with that. I'm sure there is a programming style fix to that like adding strings(sections of text) together and forming said link with some crazy computer voodoo, but it would probably be more trouble than it's worth any ways. Oh and I was meaning your own page, the user page, you could easily just have the character links slapped onto your own user page or wjatever projects you are working on at the time.

@Wyld

Once I got my user name and link to my page on the Member's listing in the wiki. It became simple in finding what I need. As all of my characters I rp here on the forums have been listed on my wiki page. Then with help I managed to add links to the character bio page.

1) So it become as simple as opening up the Wiki in a separate tab,
2) Click on Members
3) find my user name and click on it.
4) Then I look at my listing of characters and click on the character (hopefully the link works) I want to review.

Then on the character page, I've set up links to the plot that character belong to so I can have quick access for references. For help in that department, ask the GM/Faction Manager for help. (it helps to ask nicely ;) ) And for future reference you can always preview on how it is set up, for future characters.

I don't know if this helps or not.. but it is how I use my spot on the Wiki

I'm still brainstorming a way to do this. Maybe some sort of PHP page where it asks someone to enter their character name and it spits out a link to where the wiki page should be created.

Hmmm... Well, whatever you do, and however you do it, as long as nothing breaks, I'm sure no one will mind!

It's hard to simplify things without making things complicated. :p

RPG-D RPGfix
Back