• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Closed Hemosynth Shouldn't Be A Cure-All

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Here's a suggestion I got from @Deleted User - He pointed out that in reality, nanomachines would probably cause a lot of problems in other species that they're not designed for. They'd likely trigger immune systems and cause clotting and other bad stuff. This would probably happen for humans too but in SARP it's long been established hemosynth plays nice with humans. IC it was probably designed that way because Nekovalkyrja were designed to work with humans. Anyway, I thought this was a great observation and it fits into the recent discussion about Yamatai/Nekovalkyrja being seen as overpowered. By adding it to the lore that standard HS only works on Nekos, Minkans, and humans, we can help clarify these limitations.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
That sounds like a good RP hook, especially for getting members of those species involved in RP, so that's probably how it should be.

From an IC perspective its weird about being a cure all considering how diverse some of the DNA is in this setting but not really that aggregious considering Yamatai's capabilities.

From an OOC standpoint it hinders a lot of players wanting to create medtech for yamatai. Tho also not really much of a problem imo due to how few people ever want to make something medical related or something that isnt ten flavors of new gun that already exist but not for their faction or it didnt come with RGB lighting.

Would be it be alright if I just put that Hemosynth works best on Nekovalkyrja and Minkan, and works decently on "most species with iron-based blood," and should not be used on species with other blood types like copper? Because this is how I understand it to work as its creator.

That fixes it mostly in my head as it would work best on minkin and neko because it is designed for them. For other species it kinda knows what to do but it isnt streamlined for them.

Given what Yuuki said here, that could certainly be used for RP purposes - i.e. it causes the nasty things Wes described in the OP - until SARA develops a "software patch" for the femtomachines without having to sacrifice hemosynth's pre-existing healing capabilities.
I've had several human characters in the past for which hemosynth would be horrifically lethal. Thorn Ironhart's cybernetics, for example. I've had a problem with the cure-allness of hemosynth since my beginning on the site.

I think the solution here is not to put the onus of specifying whether or not Hemosynth works on any given species really comes down to the creator of that species. For example, it's much more fair to say that "Hemosynth doesn't work for Senti or Rathenkans" than it is to say "Unless you're X Y or Z species Hemosynth doesn't work for you"

Would be it be alright if I just put that Hemosynth works best on Nekovalkyrja and Minkan, and works decently on "most species with iron-based blood," and should not be used on species with other blood types like copper? Because this is how I understand it to work as its creator.
I think putting humans and maybe “human-derived species” in the same category as Nekos and Minkans makes sense. While more advanced bodies are readily available, it’s clear from the Yamatai player character demographics that there is quite a sizable portion of the population that have elected to remain in human or Geshrin bodies rather than transferring to Neko or Minkan bodies, for one reason or another. There’s probably a lot of humans on hand that Yamatai could have studied towards the end of improving Hemosynth compatibility.

I've had several human characters in the past for which hemosynth would be horrifically lethal. Thorn Ironhart's cybernetics, for example. I've had a problem with the cure-allness of hemosynth since my beginning on the site.
I feel that femtomachines would've been, uh, "patched" at some point to ignore cybernetic implants - as I want to say that individuals with cybernetic implants have served onboard Yamataian plotships in the past - but that's admittedly just my opinion, and I don't have any examples on hand to back up my claim with.

It's ok to not want hemosynth to be a cure all. Like I said, I thought it was only for Minkan, Nekos, etc. It's ok to say "it doesn't work on my species ever at all." It's fine even "this is lethal" It's great too.

But, and the big but is, the STEM educator in me kinda needs to point out it's better to find a different justification for it, or just handwave it and say "no" without details, because it's veering close to the same logic antivaxxers use to cry about mercury in Thiomersal. It doesn't matter what substance goes into you if the "ends" are covered in something you don't react to. If there's a molecular "cap" on the end of a substance, no matter how inimical that substance is to the host biology, that doesn't fit into the receptors of the immune system or the enzymes, or whatever in the cell metabolism, then that substance is chemically and biologcially inert. That's just how it works.

Last edited:
I feel that femtomachines would've been, uh, "patched" at some point to ignore cybernetic implants - as I want to say that individuals with cybernetic implants have served onboard Yamataian plotships in the past - but that's admittedly just my opinion, and I don't have any examples on hand to back up my claim with.
It wasn't the interaction with the femtomachines that would have been the issue, but the body rejecting the potentially life preserving cybernetics.

It's ok to not want hemosynth to be a cure all. Like I said, I thought it was only for Minkan, Nekos, etc. It's ok to say "it doesn't work on my species ever at all." It's great to.

But, and the big but is, the STEM educator in me kinda needs to point out it's better to find a different justification for it, or just handwave it and say "no" without details, because it's veering close to the same logic antivaxxers use to cry about mercury in Thiomersal. It doesn't matter what substance goes into you if the "ends" are covered in something you don't react to. If there's a molecular "cap" on the end of a substance, no matter how inimical of a thing to the host biology, that doesn't fit into the receptors of the immune system or the enzymes, or whatever in the cell metabolism, then that substance is chemically and biologcially inert. That's just how it works.
Which is 90% of the reason I'm open to research on specialty designed nano/femtomachines for Senti biology. Those nanos will not be effective on any other species simply due to the vastly different biochemistry.

The Type 33A Nekovalkyrja was specifically designed to be friendly to cybernetics so perhaps around that time things could have started to get better? We could include that in the article update as well.

Also I need to point out if you have to put too exotic or cumbersome of a cap on the end, your femtomachine might not work anymore.

Also yeahh. The Wolverine Principle. Healys no moddys.

I want to present a pair of theoretical RP scenarios where being 'hemosynth-resistant' or 'hemosynth-compatible' work towards furthering a story, based on the circumstances and the desires of the author(s) involved.

Scenario 1: I have an Elysian character who is wounded during a fast-moving combat JP and I need to get her back into the action (the combat) as quickly as possible so that I don't miss anything important. In this case, my character being hemosynth-compatible helps to further her story, allowing the medic to heal her quickly so she can jump back in.

Scenario 2: Let's say another writer wants to do a JP someone playing a medic character. In this case, the writer is playing an Elysian patient who is hemosynth-resistant, which is an intentional decision made by the writers involved so as to provide a conflict for the JP's story to resolve.

In short, a hard and fast rule on Elysian hemosynth compatibility will likely make one of these stories much more difficult to execute. Leaving the decision of hemosynth compatibility up to the players involved makes both of these stories possible, without hurting one or the other.

Or you just not give the dirty birbs any and leave them to their fate

Also I need to point out if you have to put too exotic or cumbersome of a cap on the end, your femtomachine might not work anymore.

Also yeahh. The Wolverine Principle. Healys no moddys.

I want to present a pair of theoretical RP scenarios where being 'hemosynth-resistant' or 'hemosynth-compatible' work towards furthering a story, based on the circumstances and the desires of the author(s) involved.

Scenario 1: I have an Elysian character who is wounded during a fast-moving combat JP and I need to get her back into the action (the combat) as quickly as possible so that I don't miss anything important. In this case, my character being hemosynth-compatible helps to further her story, allowing the medic to heal her quickly so she can jump back in.

Scenario 2: Let's say another writer wants to do a JP someone playing a medic character. In this case, the writer is playing an Elysian patient who is hemosynth-resistant, which is an intentional decision made by the writers involved so as to provide a conflict for the JP's story to resolve.

In short, a hard and fast rule on Elysian hemosynth compatibility will likely make one of these stories much more difficult to execute. Leaving the decision of hemosynth compatibility up to the players involved makes both of these stories possible, without hurting one or the other.

The other ten percent of the reason right there. The medical knowledge necessary to work around nanomachine limitations present in hemosynth opens up a level of xenobiology and xenomedical expertise that simply isn't viable with the cure-all concept.

Ahhhhhhhh, okay. My apologies for presuming otherwise. >_<
In the case of Thorn, she had a rebreather installed in her chest that a hemosynth injection would have severely hobbled or destroyed, possibly causing massive organ damage as it was rejected. Even assuming it didn't, the disabling of the growth inhibitor keeping her small would have caused her body to begin to grow and cause more organ damage as things moved around. A single dose of hemosynth would have been lethal to her within a few years.

However, the NDC has been working on repairing her body and installing more advanced biocompatible cybernetics that will grow with her and replace the damaged components. As of now, she has grown up significantly due to these surgeries, but hemosynth is still dangerous for her.

The other ten percent of the reason right there. The medical knowledge necessary to work around nanomachine limitations present in hemosynth opens up a level of xenobiology and xenomedical expertise that simply isn't viable with the cure-all concept.
I feel that, one one end playing a Doctor, I'd love to be involved in this. On the other end, my knowledge IRL doesn't go beyond basic first aid

It's ok to not want hemosynth to be a cure all. Like I said, I thought it was only for Minkan, Nekos, etc. It's ok to say "it doesn't work on my species ever at all." It's fine even "this is lethal" It's great too.

But, and the big but is, the STEM educator in me kinda needs to point out it's better to find a different justification for it, or just handwave it and say "no" without details, because it's veering close to the same logic antivaxxers use to cry about mercury in Thiomersal. It doesn't matter what substance goes into you if the "ends" are covered in something you don't react to. If there's a molecular "cap" on the end of a substance, no matter how inimical that substance is to the host biology, that doesn't fit into the receptors of the immune system or the enzymes, or whatever in the cell metabolism, then that substance is chemically and biologcially inert. That's just how it works.
Nanomachines are like proteins.. immune system attack proteins. Autoimmune reaction.

Tada?

Yes, but I was talking about why immune systems attack things. If there's no "shape" that can trigger an interaction with the molecules responsible then there's no response.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back