• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Closed Hemosynth Shouldn't Be A Cure-All

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Here's a suggestion I got from @Deleted User - He pointed out that in reality, nanomachines would probably cause a lot of problems in other species that they're not designed for. They'd likely trigger immune systems and cause clotting and other bad stuff. This would probably happen for humans too but in SARP it's long been established hemosynth plays nice with humans. IC it was probably designed that way because Nekovalkyrja were designed to work with humans. Anyway, I thought this was a great observation and it fits into the recent discussion about Yamatai/Nekovalkyrja being seen as overpowered. By adding it to the lore that standard HS only works on Nekos, Minkans, and humans, we can help clarify these limitations.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yes, but I was talking about why immune systems attack things. If there's no "shape" that can trigger an interaction with the molecules responsible then there's no response.
That's oversimplifying it but technically yes. Perhaps the compounds used only work on those specific species?

Ok, so I was able to find the Species Augmentation Charts which answers this exact question. If they are not listed, then I assume they are humans, average at everything. We also should make the page more friendly to read. We should also note that this is how the average member of the species reacts, and there may be individuals who are better or worse than average. I think we can expand the charts as needed if we want more details.

Overall, I'm ambivalent about hemosynth. I think if we just noted that it needs to be formulated for the specific species that it's being applied to, that's enough. The fact is that, yhea it is SARP's bacta+. It's a super powerful medical technology. If it's not a super powerful medical technology it's not doing it's job. I think Immortal Cyan did a good job of explaining some of the difficulties here with the two scenarios. I think we should have a baseline understanding of how well it's going to work on a species. By default it works as described on the species augmentation chart. However, individuals can be oddballs. This fits both of the scenarios.

That's oversimplifying it but technically yes. Perhaps the compounds used only work on those specific species?
That's what I was saying about the "safety cap" can possibly render the machine unable to perform its function because you can only change something that tiny so much.

Given what Yuuki said here, that could certainly be used for RP purposes - i.e. it causes the nasty things Wes described in the OP - until SARA develops a "software patch" for the femtomachines without having to sacrifice hemosynth's pre-existing healing capabilities.
Agreed, most of that can be solved with a simple software/carrier fluid substitute. The real challenge is getting around the immune system, which may require a chemical cap that would make the nanomachine infeasible. We're gonna work on it in character.

I'm late to the party here, but I agree with leaving the matter of hemosynth to species' creators, with some leeway that the player can negotiate with the creator in terms of fluke genetics etc. I'm all in favour of scaling back things that are "100% effective" where we can from the setting, as having those exist removes the element of challenge and creativity of trying to find workarounds to things rather than using one-boot-fits all. It makes one wonder what Star Army Medical training is other than "apply hemosynth directly to wound, wait".

I'm late to the party here, but I agree with leaving the matter of hemosynth to species' creators, with some leeway that the player can negotiate with the creator in terms of fluke genetics etc. I'm all in favour of scaling back things that are "100% effective" where we can from the setting, as having those exist removes the element of challenge and creativity of trying to find workarounds to things rather than using one-boot-fits all. It makes one wonder what Star Army Medical training is other than "apply hemosynth directly to wound, wait".

Especially problematic when the Star Army is dealing with a rapidly increasing number of species where that simply doesn't work. I mean, sure, there's gotta be some basic combat lifesaver training to wait for hemosynth, but it still feels weird that a Star Army IFAK would be just a transfusion kit and an NPA or a tourniquet. Especially in this day and age. And even since several years ago, not every species in the Star Army used hemosynth.

Separa, Kodians, Phods, none of these species have hemosynth or nanomachine based biology. If your medic's a Separa and you need hemosynth, a blood transfusion isn't going to save you unless they take your battle buddy outta the fight, too. And in a firefight, losing one guy is a bad day. Losing two may be catastrophic. And goddess help whoever fucks with Doc.

From an IC perspective its weird about being a cure all considering how diverse some of the DNA is in this setting but not really that aggregious considering Yamatai's capabilities.

From an OOC standpoint it hinders a lot of players wanting to create medtech for yamatai. Tho also not really much of a problem imo due to how few people ever want to make something medical related or something that isnt ten flavors of new gun that already exist but not for their faction or it didnt come with RGB lighting.

That fixes it mostly in my head as it would work best on minkin and neko because it is designed for them. For other species it kinda knows what to do but it isnt streamlined for them.
My best suggestion would be:

Minkans/Neko: works as intended
Iron-based blood: basically synthetic blood, no healing factors
Non-iron-based blood: toxic.

I will direct everyone to my recent introduction of pharmaceuticals to yam, through primera. This should hopefully alleviate the problems and concerns brought up here.

In all honesty, I don't think Hemosynth is a cure-all. Having written the modernized fleshed-out articles about hemosynthetics on the wiki, I have to counter this misconception.

We've already established in RP that Nekovalkyrja healing has limitations:
  • If damage is too great they require things like -
    • IV bags of non-differentiated hemosynth to aid with healing (moderate damage)
    • Hemosynthetic Reconstruction Tube to help with extreme/severe healing (heavy damage)
    • The Hemosynthetic option was added to the Star Army Radiation treatment pills.
  • Healing isn't instant, it takes time and when the time needed to heal, the damage level and need for tools like those listed above are weighed out. Death can occur.
This all comes down to player and GM responsibility, playing fair in the sandbox. I think though, with all the effort being put into the medical and science areas now this is a self-fixing issue. Every product, every tool we come out with that addresses Nekovalkyrja/Yamataian health is saying, they have yes amazing healing abilities but they sometimes need things to help that along.

Sorry if I'm digging up an old thread, but I felt like someone who put a lot of work into the newer hemosynthetics stuff that I should say something about here.

It looks like this suggestion isn't popular so I'm closing it. Thanks for your feedback everyone! It's always good for me to check if my ideas are great to everyone or just me, and in this case it looks like people weren't on board, and that's okay. I appreciate you guys voting and posting your thoughts. Active participation here on the forums is crucial for improving the RP.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back