• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Horizon] Falcon tunnel drive

club24

Everything Is Magical
Submission Type: propulsion, sort of?
Template Used: none

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? yes but also tagging @Jack Pine since this involves S6
Faction requires art? no

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? no
Contains New art? no
Previously Submitted? no

Notes:
just want to tag both @Wes and @Nashoba too have a look at this one since, wormholes. I was getting a few ideas for this from the one the hidden sun clan use but i opted to use a different method that didn't involve dark matter and spooky materials like that as it doesnt make sense for Horizon to have that kind of massive access yet or tech level. I also nerfed the ability of this one compared to the Hidden clans one to emphasise the gap in tech levels.

that being said if this doesnt look acceptable to be used let me know, it was an idea i wanted to pursue but if this kind of method is not good enough to actually make it work i will wait until later when I have built up the corp more and they can build something similar to what the hidden clan have.

Last edited by a moderator:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
What is the travel speed?

I am terrible with speed when it doesn't involve wormholes let alone when it does, i guess going by the relative theories of wormholes or whatever they call them since it's effectively a shortcut in space the speed would be similar to standard ftl but the travel time is much lower aince they are a direct connection that warps the plane or something? Probably too sciencey considering its never been done irl so.

I'm more or less open to ideas Wes, i could list it as being similar to cdd speeds but i had always thought of wormholes as being, not quite instant but significantly faster than say, a star wars hypderjump sequnce which can last for hours at a time.

@Wes I know we aren't allowed to point at old stuff and say "but they did it" however I didn't find any speed listed on the Hidden Sun Clan article and since I was more or less basing mine off the stats of that one I haven't really been able to come up with anything, again i was more assuming it would be near instant given the nature of wormholes that is theorised today and in many sci fi sources.

Otherwise could it be acceptable to list a length of time per lightyear that a ship would be within the wormhole rather than a speed?

I'd like to pause that timer for a moment, while im likely not gonna do much today frost kindly showed me this link https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=guide:ftl:wormhole_properties which i was unaware had speeds on it, somehow overlooked that one my bad.

Anyway since I'm assuming this wormhole drive would probably be a gate style the speed would be 10ly/s, which i will be putting on the sheet soon, sorry for all the extra fuss ^^

ok, took a while for my slump to pass but i have edited this now, in the info/stats table i have clarified it is a gate style wormhole and added the speed section of 10ly/s

Well, no one has raised any objections so APPROVED

We've fucked up, to put it bluntly.

While yes wormhole travel is 10ly/s, Starship Speed Standards dictate the fastest your drive can go is 0.75 ly/m. Even the Plumeria has a speed of only 1ly/m.

Okay. Approval revoked for now. Returning the submission thread to the submissions forum...

I'm not sure at this point, but we should probably not approve something that makes it faster than all the fastest ships in the setting.

ok, ignore my other post if anyone saw it I have an idea, and even if this idea is denied It would be appreciated if someone could work with me on this so I don't have to leave the idea in the dust.

Im not pointing to this article to call out mine not being approved, but rather because i realise now that I was using a different wormhole style to theirs, while i had chosen gate this uses wild which is considerably slower and I believe fits into the starship limits? but i havent done math its 2am,

anyway, would it be better if i rejigged mine to also be wild wormholes not gates which someone might want to fix cause its faster than yamatai right now by an entire unit of time over speed not to mention is unusable in the setting unless it was ONLY meant to be used by fixed gates between two spots on the map like a fast lane in a highway. I have nothing against that and think its awesome, but it doesnt explicity say that on the page is all ^^

ok everyone, i went back and edited the stats table a little bit, i changed the wormhole type to wild and adjusted the speed back to 0.2ly/m as this is listed on the wormhole page and translates to 5 minutes per ly if i did my math right

i also added a charge time per LY which essentially means longer charge to jump further

@META_mahn does that look ok to you or would you rather it be modified further?

Bleep Bloop, I'm a template.

[ x ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ x ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ x ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ x ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ x ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ x ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ x ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ x ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:

1. I think you should break the about section of the page up into an 'about' and a 4='s header for history.
2. Under statistics and info SARP prefers you use the * **title:** info format so that this information is in bullet points rather than a table. I can do the change if you want me to show you what I mean by that.
3. Some slight spelling changes were made. I also don't think we have a convention on how to spell starship. Is it star-ship? star ship? starship? I can't really fault you for that as its something I'd probably need to bring up with Wes. Similarly you're using the British spelling for color and caliber which we don't have a rule against but is probably something we should bring up for the style guide.
4. We have a rule about no new FTL systems and I think we're trying to phase out wormholes but that changes so often that I'm not sure we can really count it as a rule. You're using 0.2 ly/min for speed now though and this matches up with 'hyperdrive'. Wes also gave the approval once already for more wormholes so ultimately I don't think this is a problem (but is still something to note)

Really I just would like to see those minor edits. Wes already approved this once and the only reason it was rejected was for the speed limitations. Now that those speeds are in line with what we already have it should be good to go once the style edits are made.

this isn't a new form of FTL as far as I was concerned, and I had asked Wes about this concept prior to submission, I'll be able to go through and make the edits soonish, should be done for you by tomorrow morning, thanks for stepping up to do an actual review on it too even though I asked if I could get the checklist done ages ago >.>

and as Ame said before, I'd also like it if Wes could give it a final glance just to be sure, while yes it was just the speed issues I'd like to know if he has anything else to bring up for it

RPG-D RPGfix
Back