• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

How are Premier elections held?

Soban

Convention Veteran
Right now the premier election is a hot topic in the Yamatai Political RP scene. Andrew and I have characters who are running for it. But, there isn't much about the Premier elections right now in the wiki or lore. All we know is that

'The Imperial Senate has the sole power to elect and direct the Imperial Premier of Yamatai.' and 'The Imperial Premier is an elected position with a five year term, with elections occurring on years ending in 0 or 5.'

When I brought this up in the discord, we all seemed to agree that the Senate has the power to determine how elections are held. We also felt that we didn't want the senate alone doing it. My suggestion was that it was a Yamatai wide election using range voting. However, there are a lot of other great ideas for how we could do something cool and futuristic with it. So we should gather up some ideas and come to a consensus on how it is done.

@Andrew because it involves him.

Use the senators as a sort of electoral college where they poll their system and (ususally) vote what the people want?

Normally I would lean toward advocating some sort of direct democracy for this sort of thing. However the constitution already says it's down to the Senate via indirect democracy, so what Wes says is probably the easiest way to do it and is supported by the text.

Also, can Premiers put forward Proposals, or is that a right that is down to Senators alone? It doesn't make sense IMO to be able to propose a change and then adjudicate on how Senators are able to discuss it. I forget if IRL speakers of houses/senates and things are able to do that sort of thing but I think it's only in case of requiring a tiebreaker.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back