• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

How do you create flawed characters?

Aria

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧
I'm curious what people do when they want to create a character that's interesting with weaknesses and not just an overpowered character. In a video game the common thing might be to spec to the most efficient character possible, but when telling a story, that's obviously boring.

After I played Mage for the first time, I've liked to reference their "Flaws" sections you can pick for your character - https://sites.google.com/site/realitydeviance/character-creation/merits-and-flaws . I like being able to look through a list of flaws and picking some for ideas. Found another list here - https://writerswrite.co.za/123-ideas-for-character-flaws/ .

Do other people do this or use other resources like this? That and when you create characters, do you start with a flaw and work outwards, or come up with a character you want then append flaws on them at the end?

What I like to do is make my characters canonically wrong about something. For example, I have a Cardassian character in A Star Trek RP that believes Dukat was a good guy unfairly miligned by history. On SARP, Sacre is wrong about Naga'Shun.

Honestly when i make characters i try to avoid making them the very best in whatever field they’re in, then just apply some real world flaws I usually pick up from myself or others i know.

Obligatory reading would be the types of magic players: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/timmy-johnny-and-spike-2013-12-03

Also you should read playing to win by Stronglow aka Srilin. The link here is for the types of players part: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/the-turtles

Your character is likely one of these types of people. What do they care about and how do they go about solving that need is core to what a character is. Their actions should flow logically from how they approach a problem.

For example:

Wazu may have to think about things for a bit, but he’ll always try and find the most efficient way to solve his problems, is a hard worker, and will always looking for a way to work harder and be smarter.

Uso is also basically perfect, but she only has a few years left in her life so there is no need to consider long term implications of her actions. She always does the first thing that comes to mind.

Then there are an assortment of NPCs who haven’t been around as long, or aren’t as smart. Rather than intentionally have them make the wrong choices, they try and make the best choice they can with how they view the world. Bast is a gamer, so she’ll relate everything to ‘how would I handle this if this were call of duty?’ Similarly her mom Mau is overprotective of her kids, so she will prioritize trying to keep them out of combat over her other duties.

—-

Better yet, make a bad character and don’t stop playing them. The longer your character is around the more they’ll grow. Not liking a character. And then throwing them away is the worst thing you can do. Try and find a way to make them more interesting to you as you go along.

Last edited:
I don't really "Engineer" my characters very much, outside of certain aspects such as their skill sets and appearances. When I make a character's personality, I tend to use whatever I put into their history to guide it - instead of forcing flaws or strengths in, I think about just, how they tend to do things. This actually has made my characterized self into a bit of a scaredy-cat (scaredy-birb?), with a preference to avoid any sort of "in your face" conflict. It's not that I made her weak in melee combat intentionally (though to be fair, she's about as strong as a 12 year old), it's more that she has avoided being up close and personal - which has made her somewhat timid and wimpy.

But yeah - I make flaws by simulating the character as a person, instead of as a... Character, I guess?

Very interesting responses, didn't realize I was thinking about it so differently. I've never been great at making characters that think differently than me, or characters that are particularly unique/interesting, so I was thinking of starting with a personality flaw such as arrogance or being compulsive, but sounds like I should really just write a character's backstory and think about how that history shaped them. The more I think about it, my method would probably just make an exaggerated caricature. I'd still have to focus on making this person different than other chars of mine, but focusing on history. Thanks for the feedback, it really helps!

Also with that Magic page, I feel I'm a Timmy haha. Flameblast Dragon~

It's a good thing to consider, I must admit. It's interesting to see the different viewpoints, but I think it all falls back on doing what you're most comfortable with ^^

Personally, I've been RPing in different mediums for 15 years, so character making has gotten more natural to me. They're more like people to me and I talk things out with them to design them bit by bit. But when trying to make a 'balanced' or 'flawed' character, a method I used to use before was that I would just decide on the group of things they're good at, and then the more 'focused' they were in those areas, the less proficient they were everything else. When you're talking personality, one good trick, if you want quirks in your personality is get a general idea at the start (enough that you can clearly describe the character to someone) but then let the details flesh out as you RP. That's how I got one DnD elf that ended up surprisingly motherly, cause she was socially engineering a baby dragon to associate her with money and safety so she could control it in the future <.< (But then she threatened a spy with a citrus fruit juicer, and it worked)

Saw this thread in the recent happenings of the forums and immediately rubbed my hands with how much of a field day I'd have trumpeting on about this.

Similarly to Syaoran, creating characters mostly comes naturally to me, but I have a level of mastery over it as well and can USUALLY tell when my mind is wondering one way or another. With that said, when I'm making a character I tend to base them off of a specific concept/personality and go from there. Due to this, a lot of the strengths and weaknesses of my characters tend to be based off of real personality strengths and flaws of real people, which I usually pull off due to one of three things:

1. Observing behavior in other people I know and picking apart their strengths and flaws in my mind.
2. Extensive research into how different kinds of people think and why.
3. Drawing comparisons between characters in other media and people I know in real life to get a better idea of how that kind of character is represented and how to use it for my own purposes.

From there, it's not difficult to exaggerate these strengths and flaws to make them more understandable to your average reader, while still keeping the character themselves pretty complex and interesting. I also tend to see strengths as flaws and flaws as strengths. Because OOC, thats how it works. Flaws will make a character more relatable while strengths will make them seem more alien.
I'll walk you through an example of using these strategies.

I'll start with a concept. Say, a compulsive liar with a lot of streetwise on them who gets a real kick out of besting people. Note how my first concept wasnt actually anything particularly good for the character. It was two flaws and one strength. Meaning, they're already more bad than they are good. That tends to be how a lot of my first drafts for characters go.

Now I need a reason why they'd lie all the time and why beating people at things would make them feel so good. If I can hit two birds with one stone, then that's great. So let's turn to real world examples and some other examples in fiction. First, let's start with fiction.

Meet Manley Tinderstauf, one of the antagonists of the game Pyre.
manley tinderstauf.jpg

He's a character who is excessively nice but has a much darker side. He's a compulsive liar and goes out of his way to be malicious wherever he can, for his own personal gain. Why?

Spoiler Warning: It could be speculated that it's because he came from a rich family that succeeds simply because they're really good at looking squeaky clean and sucking up to anyone who has more power than them. In short. He's a sycophant.

Now let's look at some real world examples of people who are similar (WITHOUT NAMING ANYONE). Many people who consistently lie and feel good when they win do so because theyre compensating for something... NO NOT THAT FFS. Compensating for something emotionally. They were often the middle child who received next to no attention and didn't exactly have great parents either, so they had to earn respect in the most brutish way possible. Due to how they were raised, they were essentially and unknowingly trained to be sneaky as hell. And because they lacked the attention they needed, they would get a huge kick out of winning at something and still do, even as adults.

So, how can we incorporate this into our character to make them interesting? Let's list off the things we know about them so far.
1. They lie a lot, and chances have it they're exceptionally good at it.
2. They lie because they feel like if they don't no one will like them and they are deathly scared of no one liking them.
3. They weren't the most successful in early life and so live for that rush of dopamine they get from winning, causing them to lie more.
4. They may be quick to kneel down to anybody who seems to at first be better than them at something... and equally as quick to knock them down as soon as they get the chance and rub it in their face.

This is great. We already have an amazing character with a compelling backstory and if that weren't enough they have amazing strengths and flaws. But there's one issue: How do we use them? Manley Tinderstauf is an antagonist in Pyre, and a lot of other characters similar to this are as well... So why not make them a good guy?

"What? But that's a recipe for a bad guy!" I hear you saying. Yes. But making them a good guy is an excellent opportunity for character development and will make the character more interesting and relatable. People will be more likely to get attached to this character and with more screen time, there will be more time to explore their personality and expand on their flaws. We could make it so that rather than just being a forever sycophant, this character slowly starts to realize that people like them more when they're not lying, which creates a very nice and rounded internal conflict.

That's how I make characters. Live up to expectations, then pull back at the last second and go the opposite direction, basically.

A legendary English teacher once asked me, “Why are you beating things out of poetry? You don’t beat things out of poetry, you let the poetry be what it is.”

I don’t treat my characters any differently. I give a character a vision, barely a dream of some sort, or the lack of one. This is absolutely key as a major object that defines a person is a goal — to the extent that a hypothetical question was once posed about this. The question went: “Say we divided you into everything that makes up you as a personality, and you only got to choose one thing about you to keep. Everything else is changed out. What should you keep to ensure you will be the same?” The correct answer, in fact, is what you live by. This is how vital a goal or whatever is to a personality.

I then randomly decide a few minor traits, maybe an appearance. Then I ask the still-mostly-shell a decent interview on who they are.

This is where the character begins to write him or herself. I’ve had characters start rattling off whys and what their family is all like and who they are and all these interesting things. But the most entertaining part is always when a character is suddenly at a loss of words from a question. They suddenly stop talking, due to some form of perhaps trauma or issue with them or simply the great “I don’t know.” Some of them break down. Some of them just stop wanting to talk, and some of them ask to leave. Some even just avoid the question altogether. And these moments when I write a character are just absolutely incredible, honestly; when they create their own flaws and little quirks and personal issues.

TLDR I don’t treat making a character as assembling some LEGO sculpture or whatever. I treat them as if they’re people. I grow them like plants or crystals in solution or whatever.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back