• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Abandoned Submission [IIS] Build Your Own Ship

Ethereal

Banned Member
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wip:corp:iis:build_your_own_ship
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
Submission Type: Service
Template Used: N/A

Faction: IIS
FM Approved Yet? Yes, Me
Faction requires art? No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes, Eye-III
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
Credit to @Arbitrated for the idea, @club24 and @HarperMadi for their support/discussion.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Heck!

I noticed that a couple of the links were busted, linking to the wrong section of a page - I hopped in and game 'em a tune-up for ya!

(I'm not going to do the official review for this since it was partially my idea, so I might or probably am biased)

The Gauss Impelled Positron Cannon is actually an Origin product. I wasn't around whenever USO gained the ability to produce it but whoever is in charge of IIS can certainly talk to me about getting rights to use it.

@Kai I believe it was with Cadet, the USO purchased a license to produce the GIPC for factional use, not available for commercial sale. There is an OI dealership on Howard Station too that FMS purchases the cannon from for installation on their personal Broadsword Cruisers.

I did the legwork back in the day to get the USO the rights to produce GIPCs and I’m fairly sure that there was nothing in there about USO based companies in that transmission thread.

Edit: I just noticed that Rizzo said what I meant to say before I got a chance to post.

Last edited:
This is rather curious given that as part of the deal to help design the SS1, IIS was given manufacturing rights to SS1s. This obviously includes all the components, unless you want to sell a Ford without wheels? (I can see Kai's point given I don't know how much he was involved in the SS1 project, which included those Origin weapons in question)

When you obtain a license that grants reproduction rights a subcontractor can do the work on behalf of the license holder. As I recall, not all broadsword Cruisers were exclusively created by the USO. FMS as I recall constructed some of the ships, that's the reason they can produce the broadsword cruiser for themselves, they had already done it before.

If IIS holds reproduction rights to FSC technology that was granted by any other entity it would not be invalid. Deals like that need to be made with the owners of the patent. Naturally, they could just steal that technology but that never looks good on a big Corporation.

EDIT: please note that I am not trying to be condemnatory, it just seems like a small problem we can fix with some IC adjustments

Last edited:
I don't get the analogue with the Broadsword since I wasn't involved ><

I believe FSC was a part of the SS1 project and agreed to the combined work that was the SS1 - including the tech sharing therein. It was multilateral - it even uses IIS electronics and damage control systems in the same way it uses FSC systems.

That would unfortunately mean no SS1s could ever be produced from now given IIS doesn't trade with USO since the collapse if your take is correct, given 188 based bodies would no longer hold a deal for that tech and I specified at the time repair of those parts would be done through IIS?

Apologies if I'm getting this wrong but I assumed that getting plans to a ship meant getting plans to the full ship, given that was the agreed upon collaboration for all parties, as a way of paying off OOC work on the article. We shoulda written this all down haha..

My understanding was that FSC only produced those specific parts for the ship, which are still available for sale. Granted, our companies are not exactly the best of friends but we do have a lot of RP opportunities opening up soon now that FSC is going to have a significant increase in their need for supplies and reinforcement. The difference here is that the scene will no longer be limited to a small, closed economy so collapse will no longer be a concern in their relationship. I've actually written and submitted a news post that's pending approval in which Mr. Donovan explain how the collapse occurred due to a failure in their banking systems protocol in which it failed to Halt an overdraft situation, which is mostly true. The opportunity for a larger share of Technology sharing is possible in the near future if you would be interested.

We can discuss closer ties in the IIS planning thread at length. Once that news thread is public it's likely their unease with USO will lift.

I'm just wondering how how the IIS parts have been procured for the >25 SS1s made since they were forced to cease business with USO for fear of dissidents killing their personnel after the crash.

Obviously making counterfeit parts to replace them would soil relations between Yamatai and USO for not respecting copyrights. I suppose if people from USO got the parts off-world from IIS and brought them back for assembly that would work.

The Frontier Logistics Service has been selling Parts outside of the Uso since the company started. I don't believe these weapons were very expensive so they could easily have just been purchasing them and FSC is in no Financial State to turn away business.

Alrighty, I'm not going to run down the rabbit hole of whether IIS parts are available in various places. Would rather not risk decanonising a bunch of SS1s people are using, which is contrary to the OOC purpose of IIS - to provide RP to people.

We'll just say for the purposes of this scheme (which is not for large scale, instead for individual PCs) they are being bought as and when needed from FSC. If Origin would like, the same can be done for them.

That was the intention with the following part of the submission - "External companies may opt-in to the programme as well for their parts to be produced with royalties or have their parts shipped in to be used. A small subscription fee will be required for the latter." Any company within reason that wants to have their parts used for this service can ask for them to be used as such. We'll file FSC under that.

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ No- Do not use acronyms but full words ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ X ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ X ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ X ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ No] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ X ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ N/A ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ X ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ No ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ No @Wes ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:
You link to MAW "cannons" when the MAW is an infantry weapon. Rotary pulse laser battery links to the weapon systems of the SS1 but not the actual weapon's page. Gauss cannons have their own page, too. As does Starfighters. Sutafaia Fusion Shells are labeled as not out of prototype phase and only made in a lab. Basic Shields link to a propulsion sub-section of the Mercian. Pico-jelly links to a compartment layout rather than its page. The enlarged power armor shield module is not feasible and, also, was linked improperly. Here is its page. IDK why Junker Hive or Pod links to Mercian's compartment layout instead of Junkers. Durandium hull can link durandium instead of a ship's internals, as it does now. Augmented software package links to an unapproved article. Why do electronic containers link to compartment layout? The Geist links to a ship's compartments. Every single communications link is to the same section of the same ship, that needs to be rectified, save for one which links to compartment layous—needs to be fixed, as well. Subspace radar links to a section of a ship that has sensors and radar containers within it. Might be best to link to those two things separately in the appropriate sections, this also covers the hull optical sensor down further. The other two links in radar sensors just link to the same section of the same ship...

I cannot keep singling out individual links as there are so many of these and I'm only 2/3 through it and every other one seems to need to be fixed. I have no doubt the ones I have not addressed need addressing.

You need prices, that's why the second to last box didn't get checked.

You need your corporation's FM, Wes, to approve.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back