• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Closed Improved Beginner's Guide

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.

Ethereal

Banned Member
I feel like there's some historic and current sentiment that SARP being as big and beautiful as it is, it can be a lot to adapt to for someone looking to move here from a Discord RP or low-RP background.

Once you start looking at something like Yamatai's page, the branching nature of wikis means you could end up looking at wiki page after wiki page. Eventually they might give up because things seem too in-depth or nuanced to start, or something like that.

I think we've had beginner's guides in the past, but giving it another going over with brief explanations and clear "if you've read this far you can get started RPing" so people don't go down a wiki rabbit hole and put themselves off might be a good idea.

Especially if we put links to the beginner's guide (and hopefully a forum thread to go along with a wiki guide) in big clear text somewhere like the forum and wiki front pages. The first thing visitors should see is that sort of synopsis, enough for them to have their interest piqued and feel confident enough to approach a GM about making a character.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
We just rewrote the New Players Guide recently based on another suggestion so I'd like to see some specific goals for what this update would consist of. I'm for making the site easy to join (particularly keeping the time from registering to RPing as low as possible). I also invite you to write or help me write that synopsis if you're willing.

Perhaps this could be achieved a little more simply, by putting a "Get Started" Link in the top bar of the forum (Where the What's New, Media, Members, Wiki, and Discord Links are) that links to the New Player's Guide.

I won't lie to you guys, I've gone in at least 6 or 7 circles of wiki pages trying to make Lane's character app.

Maybe I'm just dumb lol

Haha, I know what you mean. Every time I've made a new character I'm like, gosh there's a lot more information than I thought of. How I would start would be figure out what you want to do with your character and build from there. Since this is your first time, it's completely ok to make a character and play with them for a bit while you get an idea of how things work, then when you get a little bit of experience under your belt, you can make another character more tailored to what you want. If you haven't already log on to the discord. You can get lots of good advice and ask questions.

Oh, my bad @Cowboy, I wasn't clear.
I mean I'm still struggling with how to make a wiki page for Lane's app.

The create a character guide is missing detailed steps on how to create a wiki article. So that should be added (I just volunteered myself lol). In the meantime, this is a good start in creating the wiki markup: Character Template Form on Star Army Space Roleplay

1. Once you have that (and save it into text file just in case your browser crashes), enter the following: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:character:(your character name with an underscore for any spaces like mikael_harris).

2. Go to the right and click on "create this page". Paste the markup you created before into the prompt box.

3. Go down to the bottom and click save. You now have a wiki article.

I do think an updated youtube character creation process would be good!

I do think an updated youtube character creation process would be good!
This is an excellent idea! I just created a new Youtube channel for Star Army and I desperately need to make some videos to put on it.

I'm closing this suggestion due to lack of votes. I think this probably happened because the suggestion didn't contain enough specific actionable plans for how to improve the new players' guide and/or character creation process.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back