• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Improvements Board Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their velocity won't change when the star leaves so putting them back in orbit is easy.

DocTomoe said:
Wes said:
Maybe we should have some sort of OOC agreement worked out before any star system is destroyed or majorly altered.

Would be nice.

There was, in both cases instigated by me.

Why not leave off the subject of the Mishhu ship's weapon? It's not like arguing over it will have any impact on my use of it anyhow, so you may as well spare yourself that waste of time.

I will, as this thread seems to have served its initial purpose and that I'm pretty much done with that particular can of worms.

Uso Tasuki said:
Their velocity won't change when the star leaves so putting them back in orbit is easy.

While their speed may not change, their velocity will. Velocity is speed in a particular direction, and is a vector quality, as opposed to the scalar quality of speed. The planet will shoot off in an almost straight line once the star is gone.

Uso Tasuki said:
I would also like to point out that there is no reason why you couldn't move the sun and then go back for the other planets.

There is the issue of the rapid cooling of the planet once the sun is gone. You may have 6-10 minutes at best for the light from the star to continue after its gone for a planet that can sustain most forms of life (8 minutes at 1 AU) because of the speed of light. The heating energy may or may not take a bit longer to dissipate, but a planet can't sustain life very long without a star.

Velocity is a speed in a particular direction. With the sun gone there is no acceleration imparted to the planet by gravity (provided no other major bodies are nearby). As such the planet will continue in a straight line without changing its speed or direction (aka velocity). If you know where the planet is, the speed at which it is orbiting, and when you removed the sun then you can easily find out where the planet is when you come back.

Planets also seem to fair well enough at night. The natural insulation of an atmosphere would be enough to keep the planet warm enough to sustain life for days. If you wait long enough there might be some damage from the cold snap after a day or two but the planet will survive. There would be no reason why everyone would instantly die the moment sunlight stopped reaching the planet.

And if the planet has no atmosphere, who cares how long it takes to get it back in orbit? There would be no reason to rush.

At night, the planter itself is still being warmed, merely from the opposite side. The atmosphere and planet is still heated (just less efficiently at night and indirectly). It may survive briefly, but I don't know if it would be for days. We still cool considerably at night in spite of the indirect heating.

Also, changing from orbit to straight line is indeed a change in velocity. Your initial post seemed to indicate that you thought otherwise. Your more recent post in this regard is reasonably logical.

Since this topic seems exhausted and has gone off-topic, I'm locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back