• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

(Insert Ecentric Title Name Here) NEW GUY

Frankly

Frank the Tank Engine
What do you call yourself?
Frank is fine if you feel like being informal, that's not a real name but I took it from an old character played a long time ago on City of Heroes.

How'd you find Star Army?
My good real life buddy Revais told me about it!

What interested you in joining?
I haven't touched anything forum based in years, but my old muse is burning out and live action is feeling more and more shallow every day. I can only live with *nods* for so long before I feel like I'm dying inside. This is something I can do from just about anywhere and not feel like I'm missing out terribly because I have a job either.

Ever done this text-based roleplaying thing before?
Plenty, I've been on a couple of forum based communities, played on Neverwinter Nights role playing servers as well as joined the role playing communities on a few MMO's prior to that. I've also been a DM for a Star Wars based Neverwinter Nights server before, but that was in it's twilight months and doesn't particularly count.

Any previous experiences you want to share?
I don't have anything I feel would particularly appeal to you fine folks, but I'll share one of my more fun characters with you, from Neverwinter Nights. Ordvuul, from an amazing server called Escape From Underdark.

Ordvuul is a dwarf, and a barbarian with an archtype called Cursed, which replaces your barbarians rage powers with slight physical bonuses as well as a chance of transformation upon incapacitation. The Cursed turns into a hulking monster that becomes incredibly difficult to stop. This curse is how I ended up having him name himself Ordvuul the Immortal, and he ended up having a near suicidal confidence in himself; to him he could not die, and many people thought it was true with the sort of things he regularly went up against and survived. Ordvuul was a character who was young, impulsive, and wrought with the misery that an ancestral curse brings him. He's a monster and he knows it, and he goes unloved by those he cares about; even going so far as to avoid members of his kind with the knowledge that if he had children he would spread his curse.

Ordvuul would often plunge himself into fights with no regard for his safety, since he had a limited ability to regenerate and moderate physical resistance, often shouting "YEH KINNUT KILL ME, AH'M <explicative> IMMORTAL!" as he hurls himself at opponents with no care for weather or not he lived or died. What made him really stick out for me as an experience was his curse and the stipulation I decided to add to my role play of it. Ordvuul could not break any given oath - no matter how vile it required him to be. This made things difficult when he ended up swearing an oath to a society dedicated to fighting abberant monsters in the Underdark, but instead took their war to the main city and ended up killing people for reasons that weren't easily justifiable. He had to protect these people who were committing murders in his eyes, and he had to help them kill people. The guilt was terrible, and he couldn't do anything about it. The time came, however, where he was finally expelled for some reason involving politics, and he went straight to court to testify against this Society for their crimes, offering himself up as well for full punishment so long as the other guilty parties were taken as well.

After that, however, Ordvuul ended up swearing his oath to the Auxiliary Military force of a Big Brother style tyrant Wizard's Tower. There he ended up doing things that were arguably far worse, but for the betterment of what was left of civilization. He killed people he truly loved, including a druid who was bent on spreading rot inside a massive machine that protected the inhabitants of the main city safe because the pollution it produced was destroying the natural world. He had to kill that druid, and what made things worse for him was that in the moments that they knew each other (Briefly), he felt so strongly for her as to call it true love of a sort. He loved this druid, who made life from a decaying world and rot spores that blossomed (blossom was her name) from the fungal remains of past lives.
There was an amazing emote written by this druid in her final moments of life, about beauty, and dreams, and lost hope that was so powerful that I almost didn't kill the character for out of character reasons.

[from her bleeding hand, a red flower sprouts out, with a sweet scent born from her desires and lost hope]

And even as he killed her, her final words were to tell him that he was good, and that she saw in him the power to bring about change. She didn't even get a chance to finish those words, because he drove a spear into her chest. It was a powerful scene that almost made me feel bad out of character for having to do such a hard scene. Ordvuul carried that weight with him for the rest of his career until his final death, where he failed to save a friend and ended up taunting his captors into murdering him after he gave up any will to live.​

Now for the questionnaire!

Do you prefer:
  • Playing male, female, or other-gendered characters?
    • I generally stick to male characters unless I have a very specific concept in mind that requires otherwise
  • Spontaneous or planned RP?
    • I don't know how to answer that, both have their place to be honest. As long as something happens and it isn't just static "slice of life" play, I'm into it.
  • Military or civilian characters?
    • I prefer to play characters with at least some sort of military background to them, be they government or private. If my characters aren't in active duty I'm often playing them as civilian contractors.
  • Humans, androids, anthros, or aliens?
    • Humans are easier, but I'll play just about anything
  • Being on a starship or being on a planet?
    • Both have a huge appeal of their own. I'll swing both ways, so just toss me wherever.
  • Roleplay via forum posts or in real-time?
    • I can do either, but forums are easier to keep up with when I'm working. Real time is plenty fun, and I've done those for a long time as well.
On a scale of 1 to 3, what's your preferred level of these in your RP:
  • Language: 3
  • Violence: 3
  • Sexuality: 3
What's something cool you'd love to RP?
Honestly as long as I don't get stuck in any slice of life based scenarios where a catgirl is making my character pasta and asking him what he's thinking, I'm down.

That said, I do have a particular fondness for PMC type things, and getting involved in the private intelligence community.

Last edited:
It's great to have you here. @Revais has been a charm and I think you will be too. I can already see you've got no shortage of creativity or writing skill!
Honestly as long as I don't get stuck in any slice of life based scenarios where a catgirl is making my character pasta and asking him what he's thinking, I'm down.
This made me laugh!

Well, while I know this is space scifi stuff, I know there is an entire racial type for catgirls, and they might like pasta. So you never quite know :p

RPG-D RPGfix
Back