• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

international Space

Charmaylarg Dufrain

🎖️ Game Master
A countries international waters span a distance of 24 miles. Past which you are no longer subject to the laws of that country but instead of the home port or country of which you fly their flag...

What im wondering is if SARP has something similar? Like is there a distance between faction borders where neither side imposes their will, customs, taxes, etc on passing ships? Where independents dwell and shady deals are made?

Or is it full on border friction; you build your fence 3 more meters and you're in my land and I will sue you?

I only ask this because im curious and cant actually look it up cause of dumb internet not working reasons...

It's a good question. I just thought I'd pop by and ring off a quick mention that in terms of international waters, there will always be an imposition of law. At least from my understanding (having written a lot of law stuff on the site lol).

If you're a vessel registered in or serving a nation (flag state), they impose their laws on that vessel in international waters, technically no matter the distance to said state. If you were to do a shady deal, it would be your flag state's prerogative to notice that next inspection you took or next time you returned to port or their space, at which point necessary action would be taken. They could even potentially be patrolling said international waters.

Say a Yamataian corporation flies out to international waters and buys a bunch of slaves. It would be Yamatai's prerogative (as the vessel is registered there) to apprehend the vessel and sentence its occupants under Yamataian law, even if it's still in international waters.

It's also noteworthy that vessels in international waters not registered to a flag state are considered pirates for all intents and purposes as they are technically trying to operate outside the law. I'm fairly sure they can then be apprehended by anyone, which would cover those independents trying this that you mentioned.

There are also crimes that fall under something called universal jurisdiction such as genocide, at which point it doesn't matter what flag you fly anyone can act to bring you to justice.

EDIT:
This being said, @Wes likely has a variant on this if it's even the case we have such waters. Especially regarding independent vessels (we likely don't want nomads to be considered pirates. Vessels without an origin aren't really a thing IRL so we can't draw from that here). However, he has mentioned plans to register all companies to nations so maybe he has other ideas for independents.

Last edited:
My question has pretty much been answered and can scale up. But what I forgot to really put into detail in my first post is I meant in on a space setting, Like between factions space. Eth's answer works for that too~

I think Ethereal's post is pretty accurate for SARP.

Basically anything on the Kikyo Sector map that's not shaded in a national color is "open waters" and doesn't belong to any particular faction.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back