• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Inventory and Finances Questions

SaltedFish

Inactive Member
Okay, so I'm struggling to figure out my inventory and finances, and had a few questions that no one seems to be able to answer:

First off, and this is my main gripe, why is it that, as a member of a multi-planet military with advanced weapons and starships, I am only given a bunch of clothes, some random rifle(I *still* don't know what I'm issued) and a pistol? Surely the Nepleslian army can afford to equip it's troops with better weapons. Think of the US military. US soldiers are not required to buy their weapons for chrissakes. Nor their armor, grenades, ammo, etc. I understand the need for role playing, and buying things and such, but this is kinda ridiculous.

Secondly, don't I get paid for the year I spent in training?

Now, I'm asking these questions based on our own military. Recruits get paid the instant they join, and keep getting paid until they leave or die. They get whatever weapons they want, with a few exceptions(rank does play a part in this bit, I imagine) so why doesn't the Star Army?

One last thing, And keep in mind I'm bringing this up because I want to enhance the SARP, not destroy it or put it down, but I've noticed that certain pages are very difficult to find. Perhaps a massive reorganization is in order? I don't even know where to find the list of organizations to buy things from, aside from the link on my post in the inventory forum.

thanks for your time.

Secondly, don't I get paid for the year I spent in training?
Not unless you RPed it, otherwise people would metagame by creating characters that have been in for a long time. Even if we allowed that, you'd then have to worry about knowing what your character had spent that pay on, etc. To keep things fair and simple, all characters start with 3000 KS (or the equivalent in Nepeslia).

US soldiers are not required to buy their weapons for chrissakes. Nor their armor, grenades, ammo, etc.
Soldiers in the Star Army are definately not required to buy their weapons either!

Now, I'm asking these questions based on our own military. Recruits get paid the instant they join, and keep getting paid until they leave or die. They get whatever weapons they want, with a few exceptions(rank does play a part in this bit, I imagine) so why doesn't the Star Army?
The lowest rank in the Star Army of Yamatai is actually an unpaid rank (and if using the prestige system, any rank can be unpaid). Also, in real life, soldiers don't get the weapons they want; we get what the unit issues us.

I've noticed that certain pages are very difficult to find. Perhaps a massive reorganization is in order? I don't even know where to find the list of organizations to buy things from, aside from the link on my post in the inventory forum.
Funny, I was just complemented by another player on how well-organized the site was. The "Organizations List" link on the sidebar goes to the list of organizations...seems pretty obvious to me! If there's more stuff you think needs to be easier to find, please feel free to give specific examples.

Wes said:
Funny, I was just complemented by another player on how well-organized the site was. The "Organizations List" link on the sidebar goes to the list of organizations...seems pretty obvious to me! If there's more stuff you think needs to be easier to find, please feel free to give specific examples.

Wes I've already posted a direct link to the organizations page in his first topic about this in the finance and inventory page.... so I think he's just over viewing something some place.

Wes said:
Not unless you RPed it, otherwise people would metagame by creating characters that have been in for a long time. Even if we allowed that, you'd then have to worry about knowing what your character had spent that pay on, etc. To keep things fair and simple, all characters start with 3000 KS (or the equivalent in Nepeslia).

Yeah, didn't consider that.

Wes said:
Soldiers in the Star Army are definately not required to buy their weapons either!

Which brings me to my main point: What EXACTLY am I given, down to the number of socks, upon the completion of my training and the beginning of my active duty? I'm asking for a list like:

(Clothes)
(Weapons)
(Misc)

Yes, you have something similar, but it consists of about 20 items, 19 of which are just clothes. Not terribly helpful.

Wes said:
The lowest rank in the Star Army of Yamatai is actually an unpaid rank (and if using the prestige system, any rank can be unpaid). Also, in real life, soldiers don't get the weapons they want; we get what the unit issues us.

As for weapons, as near as I can tell, I am issued a pistol.

I've noticed that certain pages are very difficult to find. Perhaps a massive reorganization is in order? I don't even know where to find the list of organizations to buy things from, aside from the link on my post in the inventory forum.

Well, I didn't make myself clear here. I meant a massive reorganization. As in, take every. Single. Last. Item. And compile it into a list. This includes clothing, weapons, starships, grenades, mecha, everything. And all of it in a neat, standard form, instead of being spread out over numerous pages.

Kayto Styles said:
Wes I've already posted a direct link to the organizations page in his first topic about this in the finance and inventory page.... so I think he's just over viewing something some place.

Do you think I'm stupid? I already told you that I looked at your damn links. The fact that I'm still asking questions means they didn't help. But oh well. I'm tired of asking questions. I'll just go forth and make up stuff. Look for my new post in the Inventory forum.

You're sounding sort of confrontational. Calm down. Go ahead and post on the inventory forum (you probably already have by now) and if there's a problem, you'll be notified.

As in, take every. Single. Last. Item. And compile it into a list. This includes clothing, weapons, starships, grenades, mecha, everything. And all of it in a neat, standard form, instead of being spread out over numerous pages.

Why? You plan on buying some starships or mechs sometime soon?

The standard issue items, found under the uniforms section, IS exactly what your character would be issued. Any additionaly items would be provided as needed and usually come out of a starship's inventory, not your character's (such as power armor).

Jadg Wolf said:
You're sounding sort of confrontational. Calm down. Go ahead and post on the inventory forum (you probably already have by now) and if there's a problem, you'll be notified.

As in, take every. Single. Last. Item. And compile it into a list. This includes clothing, weapons, starships, grenades, mecha, everything. And all of it in a neat, standard form, instead of being spread out over numerous pages.

Why? You plan on buying some starships or mechs sometime soon?

You're right. that's my exasperation talking there. What I mean by a compilation is just an easy to use refenece guide for EVERYTHING. Need info about a mecha go to this listing. Need to know what sizes the standard-issue socks come in? Go to that same listing. Etc. Just a standardized encyclopedia that can be easily referenced to new people(like me)

Wes said:
The standard issue items, found under the uniforms section, IS exactly what your character would be issued. Any additionaly items would be provided as needed and usually come out of a starship's inventory, not your character's (such as power armor).

This is exactly what I wanted to know from square one. Do I need to buy my shit, or is it given to me? Now I know. Problem solved. See my new post in the inventory forum.

In my experience, nobody reads big long lists of stuff - they just get bored after a couple pages and, if they're looking for something, use their browser's find function - the analog to the forum's search.

I agree that things are kind of hard to find compared to, say, World of Warcraft which has a billion fan sites in every format, but...well, this is largely community-oriented, so if you feel like making a big list of every item would help, by all means go ahead ^.^' If you did, I'm sure people would dig up old articles that they've stumbled upon to suggest them for addition.

It still pretty much works the same way except now soldiers in the Star Army get custom-fitted power armor issued to them.

Also, considering this guy's attitude, it shows an amazing display of patience on our part. Perhaps too much.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back