• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Just curious, what inspired Yamatai's power armor?

Yoshiro Tanaka

I had played a Sci-Fi game called Section 8 in the past and since I have been at Star Army and being infantry with the Yamatai faction and it made me wonder, was the infantry armor that the Yamataian military have inspired at least in part by the game or is it just my wild but awesome imagination?

Chelti armor and vehicles technically use Burn-In's, although typically from giant infantry and tank firing cannons either in orbit or in ground-based installations. But that's a battle in the NTSE for another day...

I did like the drop mechanics because you really had to watch where you were going. Drop in an enemy zone where they had AAA and you were dead before you hit the ground. But the game play where you could call in defenses and vehicles on the fly was my top reason for playing it. call in a resupply pod at the right time or call in heavy armor and you got the game on lockdown.(As long as the enemy doesn't kill your stuff with rockets and fire. LOL)

A long time ago in a Sarp far, far away Yamatai exclusively used nh-series bodies as soldiers with no power armor.

The NDI's appearance on Ralfaris during the 4th Elysian war was the first time power armor appeared in the setting. It completely outclassed ground combatants at the time at the race to develop new armors continued ever since. The original golem power armor article is still on the wiki I think, and is literally the grand daddy of SARP power armor.

The golem was Derran Tyler's creation. I don't know for certain what its influences are but if I had to guess I'd say the starship troopers book or old man's war. Derran had his own RP setting which was a bit more hard sci-fi at the time, and was very influential on what SARP would become.

Edit: it was the phalanx not the golem
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=nerima:phalanx_m1_power_armor

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back