• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

KS = Bellflower Note?

Nashoba

SARPaholic & Admin
Convention Veteran
Retired Staff
Okay, while doing some fleshing out of some of the Yamatai government pages as part of cleaning up the root directory I had to move the KS page.

The Yamataian unit of currency. It means “bellflower note.”

Does anyone know what the words are that KS is supposed to reflect. I would like to put it on the page.

Ok, Well Satsu definite means note, currency.

But Kikyô doesn't seem to be bellflower.

But I'm not a Japanese major.

Seems round about, from urbandictionary I found that Kikyo means balloonflower, or the Chinese Bellflower

Wow. The joys of the internet.

Just as a reference for future searching, Fred is totally right about "ou" and "ô" being interchangeable but you can also use "oo" or "ō." If the site you're searching is well designed any will work, but sometimes the spellings can be too literal in adherence to a particular romanization so giving the others a try can be worth a shot.

I would recommend using Emperor Ketsurui Uesu (50 KS) and Empress Ketsurui Ayame (100 KS) as replacements for Katsuko and Himiko.

It's my opinion that Katsuko was not long enough in power to really have coin/bills made in her image.

As for Himiko, I'd just think that Ayame and Uesu bills would've already be common circulating around the Empress before she would've come to power.

If Wes agrees with that, he already saw the current list.

And with the current 'stigma' associated with Uesu, I figured that the government would have wanted to pull any bills with his likeness out of circulation. Which is why I did not include him in the current list.

Whereas in that case, that excuse could've been used to replace the Uesu bill with an Himiko one. Which would make sense.

In which case I'd amend my above post to suggest the 50 KS bill being Himiko (replacing Uesu's) and the 100 KS being for Ayame.

I like the currency (though Hanako needs money printed of her face sometime), but how does one make a silver coin which is roughly the value of a penny? Even when made of copper-coated zinc, it takes the US Government two cents to make every cent and some other governments are dropping their lowest value denominations. The Japanese have long made the yen (comparable value coin) out of an aluminum blank with a hole in it.

At least in American currency, 90% silver coinage stopped after 1964 except for offerings mainly for coin collectors. Half dollars had 40% silver after that, but only up through about 1970. The Bicentennial Quarter in 1976 had a variant that was 40% silver, but I don't know how common it was. Dollar-level denominations varied between 0%, 40%, and mostly silver, though the latter-most is for collectors.

I don't think that high-content silver coinage for public distribution with values below a dollar/1 KS has been practical for a long time outside of commemorative or collectible coinage.

If you want silver coinage though, Japan does have 100 and even 500 yen coins...so you could have 1KS and 5KS silver coins to emulate that.

This ALL assumes that silver is still a somewhat valuable commodity in the Empire though, and I admittedly don't know much about other nations' coinage.

Yamatai can synthesize bulk molecules, including Silver, from aether forges. Additionally it has access to advanced mining tech and can find metallic asteroids fairly readily. These factors help keep Yamataian metal prices much lower than IRL.

Okay, now that resolves all of my concerns. Now I'm wondering what's on the coins.

It also introduces the possibility of the Yakuza analogue on Yamatai forging coinage of other nations for a fraction of face value~

Oh certainly!

There wasn't anyone or really any way to monitor coinage back in the day. Uso would synth fake coins all the time to pay for stuff and keep all her Zesu KS. This came up again recently when she got to show off some Zesu coin knives / Bullets / Chainmail

SARP level tech does make it trivial to produce physical items, and elements aren't really rare anymore. The only time you have to worry about material cost is if you're doing something on a massively industrial scale.

This also means copying coins is trivial for anyone with a scanner and 3D printer. Counter fitting is so common it's probably not even seen as a crime to scan and print something you want a duplicate of. If you want secure money, your only hope is to go Crypto.

This means physical money needs to have some kinda proof of ownership electronics built into it.

You know, talking about the metal coins, isn't silver heavy? I mean, Neko might have super strength, but imagine a Yamataian trying to bring a sack of them in to change them out for bills. Wouldn't it make more sense just to have a lightweight coin plated in silver?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back