• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Kyle's 3D Art

Welcome! :D

I figured I might as well make a thread since I do quite a bit of 3D Modeling, some of it can be found on my deviant arts page, but most of it you won't find.

The reason being is because a large portion of my work is unfinished. Either I lost the motivation (which happens quite often thanks to an ungreatful friend of mine, who enjoys taunting about him being better... (strangles friend) :evil: ) or I can't figure out how to improve the model.

I have here listed a few of the completed models, and some that are completed. Now, if at some point in the future can these models be used on this site? Well, that's completely up to the GMs and admin, they are not very textured and most have matte-black hull styles.

The reason being is that small details I still have issues with; it's not easy putting in every nook and cranny on a ship - and to compound the issue is the performance hit that sometimes comes with those minor details with the program I use.

Ahh! But enough ranting! (Gomenasai! >.<)

NOTE: I am still very much an amateur as this stuff, I do 3D modeling as a hobby and only when I have the free-time:

SSF-Trident

Dual 20 MM Vulcan Gun

Artemis Beam Platform, with assaulting weapons.

If some of you have read my characters bio, you probably read noticed that I mentioned a ship in that bio.

Well, I decided to take a crack at making that ship, and here are the results after a whole days work:

awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_SmallerRen2.png
Bigger image:http://www.starfleetplatoon.com/~suisfonia/Tempfiles/Mining/MiningShip.png

awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_SmallerRen.png
Bigger Image:http://www.starfleetplatoon.com/~suisfonia/Tempfiles/Mining/ActiveMining.png

To Do List:

Add Asteroids
Create a better mining beam
Add more details to backend, and pods.
Add engine trails and flare
Design the Internal layout

Major update to the model:

Cargo Bay Doors:

awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_Improvements_202_Cargobaydoorssmall.png
Larger Image

New Mining laser:
awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_Improvements_202_Topsmmining.png
Larger Image

Without the mining laser:
awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_Improvements_202_Topsmunmin.png
Larger Image

Undercarriage Lighting:
awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_Improvements_202_Undercarriagesmall.png
Larger Image

Undercarriage with Mining beam active:
awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_Improvements_202_Undercarriagesmmining.png
Larger Image

Still to do:

Add Asteriods
Add Engine flares/trails
Add Forward flood lights
Add Hanger landing lights
Add Interior
Add Damage/Destroyed Model (<---This will NOT be easy...)

So, what do you all think so far? :)

Well...one thing that strikes me is that it looks a little goofy with all those multi-colored lights on it (kind of like a Christmas tree's lights), and the somewhat gratuitous giant warning symbols. Even the stars are as colorful as M & Ms.

Maybe try making a more "serious" version and then compare the two as see which you like better?

Yea, I was told that the multiple lights was a bit over the top, I'm considering reducing most of the lights down to just those in the back and on the top and perhaps two toward the front.

As for the signs, I originally made them that big because I wasn't sure about the 'height' of the bay. But I'll see about reducing the side a bit and perhaps make it less 'goofy'

The thing is, I don't know where to actually 'put' those signs. They are on the sides merely as a hazard warning to passing ships to keep their distance.

awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_Improvem8ea3d6a662d74ac873f17d9799d5fe56.png

awww.starfleetplatoon.com__suisfonia_Tempfiles_Mining_Improvements_202_Smallcargodoorrender.png

Lemme kow how these two look, I can make the panels smaller if I should or even remove the second one all together.

I didn't notice it before, but it certainly does look like a shaft and balls. ~,~

Alright, I'll try to make this as clear as possible:

Your ship is shaped like a penis.

Gah....

Now that I look at it more closely yer kind of right, ughs.... however, given some thought over it and some opinions from others who have seen this ship, I'm sticking to my guns and not changing the design as of yet. Some of the reason's is because I've already done quite a bit of the interior and have matched it to the hull design already.

That and I've also already designed the hanger bay that it occupies along with a part of the station.

If I had noticed this a lot earlier in the design phase (like say, last Wednesday when I actually completed the model and started working on the scenary) then I'd be more than happy to change it but right now the project is in its next phase. Perhaps after I'm done building the station, setting up the asteroid field and the interiors of the station 'then' I may go back to the ship and redesign some of it. However, for now it'll remain the way it is.

At this point and time then I will not assiociate this ship with my character's biography.

Yeah. Lots of spaceships are phallic-shaped. I mean, look at the front of the X-Wing, or the Zentraedi Flagship, etc. I wouldn't stress about it.

Ya know, when yo usaid that I had to go off and look and .... damn it.. now I see what ya mean...

I'm being way to critical here... sorry about that :oops:

Well now I certainly haven't been updating much here now have I?

Either way; I posted up quite a few new shots on my DA page, but I'll post up links here :)

Hanger Bay Shot 1

Hanger Bay Shot 2

Hanger Bay Shot 3

Adjacent Storage bay

And this is a wireframe shot of what the internal structure looks like, though I have yet to update the image as I have since added and removed a few things:

Wireframe

For the most part, the storage bay is completed

Been awhile since I've updated this thread :)

Well, for the past few weeks I've been working off and on, turning the 2D image of the Chiharu and Nozomi into a 3D Model. In terms of the Chiharu, Wes liked what he saw.

The Chiharu is, for the most part, done. There are some refinements I'll make over time.

Please keep in mind, these were rendered in 1920x1080, so some of you might end up having a scrolling bar when you view them. I rendered in this resolution because I found in doing so, the details tend to show up better - not to mention small graphical mistakes (such as the one you 'might' notice on the Chiharu front view, which I plan on fixing later on)

Chiharu:

Chiharu Top Side View

Chiharu Front View

For $tar

Nozomi:

(A work in progress, suggested by Wes)

Current WIP

Blender 3D, currently the release version. Looking forward to the new version since it's supposed to incorporate a fully redesigned render engine.

Part of a ship I am designing, the Yamashuto Class Colony Ship:

Yamashuto Landed

The ship does in fact have a hull texture, but due to the camera's distance, you can't see any of the details :(

Colony Support Bridge

Just a peek at the Yamashuto's Colony Bridige, basically a bridge area of the ship that searches for a place on the planet to set down the initial colony. There are four additional holopads that show other parts of the system, such as other planets, the sun, or perhaps nearby asteriods to mine and ships.

Special thanks to Khas for planet texture :D

RPG-D RPGfix
Back