• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

[Kyoto] Echo

Kim

スター軍の司書
Kyoto, Planet Yamatai, Tombs of Fallen Soldiers. YE 39

The summer heat in Kyoto was staggering, or at least it would have if Michiko had not been deep beneath the Chiharu’s Temple placing flowers in front of the cool, black polished marble tombs. Each tomb had a name engraved on the stone with a small service portrait of each of the fallen Star Army members. The priestess was not clothed in her regular attire but a halter sundress covered in rich blue bellflowers. Her long dark brown hair was draped over her right shoulder but not tied back out of the way. She gently traced the name of a young Nekovalkyrja that gave her life in defense planet Yamatai during the Battle of Yamatai in YE 33.

The soldier had lived only a few years in service to her country and few people came to visit her here. Michiko thought it was lonely to dwell within these beautiful walls without a thought. Tombs were meant to be tributes to one’s accomplishments in life but death is lonely. In life this soldier might have had people that loved her but now, she was lovingly forgotten.

The Ketsurui knelt to the large basket that rested by her slippered feet and retrieved a red rose. She kissed the rose before she placed it carefully into the small vase that rested on the front of the tomb. “I see you.” She repeated the ritual at each of the memorials in the halls before she ended in front of the raised platform that Chiharu’s tomb rested.

Bright sky blue eyes stared at the elaborate portrait of Ketsurui Chiharu. She was not a mere etching like the other portraits, she was lovingly depicted in full color, smiling despite what horrors those crimson eyes had seen. Michiko had spent many nights gazing into the face of the woman she was supposed to be. Her true mother in a sense but not. She had to live with the knowledge that her birth had been a disappointment to her adopted mother, Yui, who really wanted her friend and lover back.

Yui had become a good mother to her over the years but she was a busy woman, running the military and protecting Yamatai. Michiko could not help but feel like a failure. She had begged to be allowed to join the Star Army but never actually left the planet and had retreated to the temple for lack of a better idea of what to do with herself.

She desperately wanted to be someone else. She did not want to be this disappointment to her mother and an awkward message on an answering machine to someone else. As a Ketsurui princess not actively engaged in anything but dwelling on her own failings, Michiko had the benefit of infinite free time. She felt like a little bird trapped in a gilded cage. The door was open but she was terrified to fly. Would she only disappoint her family further by failing at this next attempt at usefulness? Would she just become another name to be recorded on cold stone?

She wondered what exactly she had been doing all these years. Michiko had gone back to school and thrown herself into her studies to become a doctor. She struggled with her synesthesia until she was finally able to treat patients without injuring herself. It took her longer than a normal Yamataian doctor to get qualified because of her unique condition but she had been proud when she accomplished it. But she had not told her mother or sisters that she graduated. She had not wanted to be a burden on them by getting their hopes up for her future to only fail again.

The young Ketsurui hadn’t talked to her mother about her plans to leave Yamatai nor had she actually left any real message to Zemerias. Michiko had been hiding from her mother for weeks because she was scared to announce her plans to only crumble at the last minute. Every time she started to call Zemerias she hung up before the call connected. The Red Tsubaki was going to take her far from home and she was terrified of what her parents would say. But she knew that she had to say something. Michiko felt a chill on her neck as tears rolled down her cheeks. She sniffed and tried to wipe them away but was unsuccessful as she silently cried. Am I just meant to be your reflection with no life of my own?

Three days earlier, Elysia Novus

The phone rang from its spot on a rich mahogany desk in an ornate office. The desk was extremely neat and had 3 holographic photographs in golden frames, the picture in the center of the desk was the largest holding the picture of a pretty Patrician youth with ivory colored skin, flowing light blonde hair, piercing steel blue eyes and full snowy white wings. The young Elysian was blossoming into a fine young woman but her face betrayed the face that she was still a child of 11. Beside it on the left was a smaller photograph of a handsome broad shouldered and pale Patrician hugging a Nekovalkyrja with long brown hair and sky blue eyes that seemed to glow. The picture to the right was another nekovalkryja in an old Star Army of Geshrintall uniform with crimson eyes and shoulder length brown hair. The frame of this photograph was cracked.

After a long series of rings, a handsome-sounding male voice answered. "Hi! Zemerias Kiriel here... Sorry I can't come to the phone right now. If you'd like to leave a message, just let me know what's on your mind after you hear the chime!" A soft melodic noise followed, and then, uncomfortable silence.

Soft breathing could be heard on the line for a moment before a young woman’s voice could be heard sighing, “Goodbye.”

Kiriel Zemerias rested on the soft leather couch in his office, unsure of what to make of the recording. In the 14 years of receiving messages on his answering machine from Yamatai, not once had the young woman failed to say anything. He wasn’t sure what to make of it.

Zemerias and Yui had given co-parenting a chance but they were incompatible. Those attempts at a relationship between them were awkward, more so with a stranger residing inside the body of their mutual object of affection, Chiharu, watching it happen. He had been conflicted and over joyed when he returned to Elysia Novus to discover that Ariel was still alive. That Chiharu had not murdered his wife during the War like he was led to believe.

His second chance at having a family again filled his life and he was devoted to his wife and daughter. His happiness ended when his wife had left him years ago, when she had discovered his brief relationship with Kitsurugi Yui and that the origin of the messages on his machine were of Yui’s daughter, who was a carbon copy of Ketsurui Chiharu.

He had managed to live a good life with his wife and child before that moment and it depressed him greatly. His daughter with Ariel, born after their reunion, was his pride. He had done his best to be a good father to her despite the rift between them. The cost of his devotion to his biological daughter was the relationship he had once wanted with his adopted one.

He remembered going to the private Academy that Michiko had been attending with flowers before she attempted to join the Star Army. She was so beautiful and looked so much more like Chiharu despite her blue eyes. It amazed him that despite his distance and silence, Michiko still called.

He closed his steel grey eyes for a moment and tried to think of what he could do. Michiko was 14 now and by nekovalkryja standards, very much a grown woman. His own daughter was still a child. He was never planning to leave his own blood behind to play father to Michiko but he owed her something. Did she consider him a father still? He wondered why she still bothered. He was a good father to Anaphiel but a poor one to Michiko.

He had loved Chiharu in his way and he had loved Ariel. He loved both women still despite the death of one and the absolvent of the marriage by the other. But Michiko… what was she to him after all this time?

He opened his eyes and went to pack his bag, he needed to find Michiko and talk to her about why her message said, “Good-bye.”

Kyoto, Planet Yamatai, Temple of Chiharu, YE 39. Today.

Kiriel Zemerias stared at the bustle of the city of Kyoto. The heat of the rush of people coupled with the summer sun reminded him a great deal of how the city use to be. He glanced upwards past the skyscrapers and clouds, hoping to steal a glimpse of shadows of places he knew no longer existed. The days here felt so short and he wasn’t sure of the true urgency of Michiko’s message, so he headed away from the skyscrapers towards the pristine white stone of the Imperial district.

He had circled the blocks surrounding the Empress’ palace six times now. He wasn’t sure what to say or do, or really, where to find Michiko. The Palace was ever beautiful but he wasn’t ready to enter those doors quite yet. The signs for the Temple of Chiharu caught his attention. That’s different. Michiko did say she had become a priestess at the Temple. Maybe she’s there?

The Patrician was not sure what to expect as he passed under the large red tori gate that led into the court yard of the temple. He walked slowly towards the tall spiraling structure in the center of the grounds and was amazed by the size of the Citadel that was surrounded by all manner of blooming bellflowers, orchids and red roses.

He held his breath at the sight of the smiling Golden idol of the nekovalkyrja he had loved. His steps quickened as he felt drawn to the statue of Chiharu that overlooked the Garden of Internal Peace. When Zemer reached the statue, he finally took a long, desperate breath. I can feel it. This is Yui’s love and despair of losing you, Chiharu. She’s done so much to keep your memory alive. The Imperial clan renamed in your honor. I never got to see you smiling on your ship.

Unintentionally, he had placed his large pale hand over the delicate golden statue’s. The position of the sun was accommodating to not cast his imposing shadow over Chiharu. The smooth metal had captured the heat of the day and almost made him think that the statue might have been alive. He wondered how long he had properly grieved. He had never forgotten her but he had been unable to speak her name in his home on Elysia Novus. He had not been able to tell his daughter about the truth of the nekovalkyrja she learned about in history. The massacre of the Heavenly wars and the burning of Heaven. The memories were too painful for Ariel. The nightmares, the heat from the flames as their home burned… the blood. All of the blood.

He remembered the moment he had returned home to find it still burning. Everything was ash and embers. The horror of the burned and blood stained crib was the worst. All of that horror and hatred had been redirected at the mention of a name, Ketsurui Chiharu. That monster had been responsible for the destruction of everything he had loved then.

All of that hate had been a lie. None of it was true.

Ariel was alive. The monster, the weapon who had been accused of it was a sentient being. She was more than what he had been told she was. She wasn’t a monster. Zemerias had only observed her in that tiny cell for a short time before he realized that. Chiharu was a person. She was a compassionate soldier marred by the war, just like he was. When he had realized his affection for Chiharu and then saw in her memories the atrocities committed against her by Jehenniel… and knew everything he had been told was a lie. The truth of the nekovalkyrja was the warmth of her skin, the pain reflected in the crimson of her eyes.

The past was overwhelming. He stared into the golden eyes of the statue and for a moment, saw familiar crimson ones staring back. He let go of the statue’s hand and stepped back, disbelieving.

The statue sat as it always had in the Captain’s chair of the replica of the GSS Yui. It was rendered in living and intimate detail of the real Ketsurui Chiharu but it did not move. The hair of the statue had been sculpted in a state of being swept back behind her ear with her right hand. Unblinking an unmoving.

Zemerias rubbed glistening tears from his eyes, the spring of his memories and his grief bubbled up and spilled down his cheeks. It had been 14 years since Chiharu died. 14 years since he had been tricked into thinking that the woman, Shoki, was Chiharu brought back to life. He had lost himself in a bottle and despair once but then he had a vision of Chiharu. She had encouraged him to move on in his dream and when he woke, there was someone else staring back at him from inside of Chiharu’s body, Michiko.

He sighed and recomposed himself. He felt foolish. He was standing there hoping that the statue was real but he knew from the Temple’s signs that Chiharu’s actual tomb was beneath the Citadel. But he needed to see the place she was buried.

The Tombs of the Fallen Soldiers.

The heat and humidity of the day had not reached the cool chambers of the Tombs beneath the Citadel. Zemerias had bought a bouquet of roses from one of the shrine’s flowers stalls to place at Chiharu’s tomb. He had not been getting the strange looks he had experienced the last time he was in Kyoto playing family with Yui.

He followed the signs until he found the raised platform that held Chiharu’s tomb and memorial. His pulse quickened when he saw that another was there paying respects to Chiharu. The woman was still. The cool air of the tomb had caused her skin to prickle with goose flesh.

The woman held a single red rose. She had not turned to look at the new visitor nor did she acknowledge his presence.

Zemerias stepped closer and recognized the soft curve of back and the glimpse of red feathers peeking from beneath the white fabric of a dress adorned with blue bellflowers. “Michiko.”

The Yamataian slowly turned to face the Elysian. Her bright blue eyes glowed in the dim light and traces of water sparkled on her cheeks. “Zemerias.”

She sniffled and stared at him. He was taller than she remembered and he looked cramped with his snowy white wings held so close to his body to keep from hitting the walls. Michiko didn’t know where to begin or what to say. She had wanted to see him so badly but all of her words had run dry.

“You look just like her.” He inwardly sighed at himself. Of course, she does! She was born that way. Why would I say that? “You’re beautiful…. I had to see you. I had to know why you said, ‘Good-bye.’.”

“I am leaving Yamatai… I…” Michiko searched the Elysian’s face for what she wanted to say. She saw the flush of his cheeks, the moisture and redness of the steel grey eyes, she knew without feeling it that he had also been crying. “I have to move on. I can’t stay here… I know you have a daughter, a wife, a real family and I am nothing like that to you. I understand that now. You’ve just been trying to spare my feelings.”

Zemer felt a tightness in his chest at the statement. “No, Michiko, it’s not…”

“Then why? Why have you never answered the phone? Why have you never actually talked to me? If I am your daughter, then why don’t you actually love me?” Her voice trembled as the words finally came free. Her hands had balled at her sides into fists.

His wings and shoulders drooped at Michiko’s words. “I love you, Michiko. I have been a terrible father to you. I could not talk to you. Your mothers had destroyed my family and burned the Heavens during the wars. The scars on my wife from that time were still far too raw. Ariel left me when she found out that Yui and I had been together. Ariel has never forgiven me for sleeping with the enemy. My wife had never met the real Yui or the real Chiharu and she only remembered the monsters that the Elysian Navy had told us we were fighting.”

“I want to believe that you mean that. I have wanted so many things from you all this time, but what I wanted most was to know that you were proud of me, as my father… I accept it now, you are not my father.” Michiko saw the heartbreak in the Elysian’s eyes but she had to continue. “I never had a father.”

“Michi… please don’t… I know you are angry, but you don’t mean that! Please don’t mean that.”

Two heartbeats and she’d be done. The Ketsurui princess had to finish or else she’d back pedal to where she had been. She walked to Zemerias and stood to her full height, nowhere tall enough to do anything except stare up at him.

He took a tentative, uneasy step back. He wondered if she meant to slap him or punch him. He saw that her entire body was full of tension. He was uncomfortable and felt intimidated by this smaller woman. Chiharu, are you really this angry at me?

“You are the man that will be forever out of my reach,” Her voice waivered and grew softer. “I can never be with you but I will always love you, Kiriel Zemerias.” Michiko raised herself up and planted a kiss on the Patrician’s lips.

Zemer felt his breath get knocked from him. His cheeks burned red and he pulled away from the Ketsurui and the flowers fell from his hand, “What?” He suddenly wished that she had just hit him.

She sighed and knelt down to retrieve the flowers. “You love Chiharu, Ariel and your daughter. There was never any room in your heart for me. I was never a daughter to you but an obligation. I love you but I am not anything beyond a daughter to you. I free you of your obligation to me.” Michiko felt the burden lift from her but she did not feel lighter. It hurt. She felt the panic rising in her chest, desperately screaming for her to stop. But she needed to move forward and let go of him.

“I am sorry… for… everything. I.. never meant to hurt you, Michiko. I only wanted you to be happy. You’ve matured into a fine woman that Chiharu would be proud to see. I am proud of everything you have done. Graduating from medical school is something to be proud of, creating a humanitarian group is something to be proud of. You don’t have to run away from home. I see you, Michiko.” Zemer leaned down and gently pressed his lips against hers- giving her a soft, loving kiss. “And I’m sorry that I cannot love you in that way. I’ve hurt you and no amount of apologizes will undo the harm that I’ve done.”

“Goodbye, Zemerias,” Michiko whispered as she pressed the bouquet of flowers back into his hand and walked past the Patrician towards the exit. Her heart was in her throat as she forced herself to leave. She couldn’t bear to look back.

Zemerias held the flowers, bewildered as he heard Michiko’s footsteps move further away and up the steps towards the courtyard of the Citadel and the garden. He hung his head in exasperation. He wanted to chase after her and tell her that everything would be okay. His empty fist clenched tightly.

The steps faded away to still silence. He finally looked towards the steps where Michiko had been and saw that she was gone. He looked down at the flowers in his hand and then at the raised platform of Chiharu’s tomb.

He sighed and placed the flowers into a vase in front of Chiharu’s portrait. “I am sorry that I never properly said goodbye to you; That this is the first time in 14 years that I have come to see you, Chiharu. I miss you. I wanted to be with you but that was never anything more than a fantasy. Please forgive me… I can’t hold on to this heartbreak any more. I have to get back to my daughter.” He traced the cool marble portrait with his hand and remembered everything about the weight of Chiharu’s body sleeping against his chest, the smell of her hair, the rise and fall of her chest, the way her eyes had flashed in anger and defiance at him. He remembered her grateful smile when he helped her escape the Light of Destiny.

He wiped the tears from his eyes and pressed his lips to Chiharu’s portrait before he turned away from the tomb. His footsteps echoed loudly as he finally left the tomb, satisfied that he had properly paid respects to the woman he loved.

He blinked as the last remnants of sunlight dazzled him as it reflected from the smiling golden statue of Chiharu above him. He stretched his wings and straightened as he looked up at the statue one last time. You belong out here in the daylight looking over beauty. Goodbye, Chiharu. He looked away from the statue and left the Temple. It was past time for him to go home.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back