• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

L-mark-two

Rizzo

So my character has made a rip off of the L-mark-two 40 mm shell that is packing 20 pounds of antimatter. It is rated at ADR SDR 2 but others make comments about it ending the world or being a massive, untamed explosion and all that.

Here is the link. Can anyone tell me why this shell is so controversial? I'm starting to think that the amount of antimatter needs to be adjusted.
Like, it could still weigh 20 pounds but only holds a more appropriate amount of explosive in the description.

Last edited:
It's a Lorath article. Honestly I'd stay away from them. A gram of antimatter would make an explosion the size of the Hiroshima bomb.

But the thing is antimatter isn't something anybody should have in their back pack like NBD.

Because of the destructive nature of it. I'm curious to know how he managed to make that much anti matter---even a gram

20 pounds of antimatter contains 390.4 megatons of destructive force. This is more yield than the most powerful H-bomb exploded to date.

Found by Google. IDK, it's silly but I mean... TECHNICALLY they're pretty right. This would be a world-killer due to its antimatter payload, barring it hitting something that cancels antimatter... other antimatter?

Science is fugged.

Based on the description of the L-Mark-Two's effects and other non-catastrophic uses of antimatter munitions in the setting, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make a Tsar Bomba mushroom cloud but instead produce something more tame and appropriate to the weapon's intended purpose.

Remember, guys, this is sci-fi RP. It's not "I am secretly a theoretical physicist and you're wrong!" RP.

The simple fix is to make the amount of antimatter in the weapon more realisticlly proportional to the desired yield. We know a gram = heroshima, so use less than a gram

The simple fix is to make the amount of antimatter in the weapon more realisticlly proportional to the desired yield. We know a gram = heroshima, so use less than a gram
Based on the description of the L-Mark-Two's effects and other non-catastrophic uses of antimatter munitions in the setting, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make a Tsar Bomba mushroom cloud but instead produce something more tame and appropriate to the weapon's intended purpose.

Remember, guys, this is sci-fi RP. It's not "I am secretly a theoretical physicist and you're wrong!" RP.
I want to combine these two by saying that just because your weapon might have the destructive explosive power, it doesn't equate to that damage on target due to shielding and material properties. Tis why Anime NEVER specifies what's in their attacks. Big guns do big damage, rapid-fire does rapid destruction.

Yea it is sci fi, but we actually know how anti matter would work irl. Ignoring the actual science part would like hurt the rp not help it.

But that being said I'd take Lorath articles as propeganda. I'm sure with some know how you may be able to make a shaped directed explosive with your grenades?

Mostly I perk a brow at Lorath articles for the manner and purpose they were written which was to specifically smite or out do yamatai .

I'm going to retcon myself and claim the shell weighs 20 lbs and contains 0.2 grams of antimatter. @Gunsight1 perhaps you could edit your post to say 0.1 grams so all makes sense?

At this point Candon seems like a danger to the crew, honestly.

I don't think Star Army soldiers should be using personal weapons in military service.

The gamma radiation from antimatter explosions is a major hazard, too.

Supposedly their armor has protection from that... it does protect against radiation right? I mean, we are using aether weapons and Candon was close to Eucharis when the shock array fired. I have been assuming radiation is not an issue but I've been wrong before.

Intense radiation can damage most anything, and apparently antimatter does produce some rads

Your shields would take damage from the radiation. Just think of it as another type of weapon depleting your SP.

We have very radiation-resistant armor but it's not perfect. In any case, carrying around what is basically a foreign-made nuke is kind of questionable unless it's specifically intended as a "scorched Earth" weapon.

Based on the description, it seems to me like the L-Mark-Two functions much like a Lorath version of an anti-armor grenade or a tank shell. It is described as creating a "breach comparable to the diameter of the munition," which is 40mm. Most of the released energy is used to bore through whatever armor it's attached to, while the excess creates a comparatively minor surface explosion. Just going off of the wiki article, it is clearly not the crazy nuke people are making it out to be.

That said, it's a 40mm bullet/shell/ammunition type intended to be fired out of a cannon. Did Candon modify it in some way? That's my main point of confusion, since the thing obviously isn't a doomsday weapon (and it doesn't seem like Rizzo was assuming that it was).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back