• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Last Days of the Kuvexian War

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
In the last community meeting, we spoke about how the GMs of Star Army got together and did a vote on ending the Kuvexian War metaplot, which has been going on for more than 5 years, starting with its origins in the YSS Eucharis plot. It was intended as SARP's sort of World War 2 in space, long and tough and not easily won by Yamatai, and using enemies that could be customized for each GM's preferred plot style/action level by way of introducing new subfactions of the Kuvexians like the Rixxikor and L'Kor. While I'd love to close it down with the Eucharis too, my plot died out around the time I had my first child (not a coincedence!) and the war grew way bigger than just my plot and just Yamatai. Originally we'd set a tentative goal of ending the war vaguely around fall of next year but after the Third Battle of Nataria's wonderful Open RP event and the huge IC battle it marked, afterwards the Kuvexians have kind of run out of steam.

In the meeting, we ran out of time and I said we'd have to pick up the discussion on the forum, and this is that thread. One of the ideas I talked about is that maybe the Kuvexians could scale back and start releasing systems to be "civilian" and the civilian and perhaps military remnants of the invasion would operate as a permanent NPC faction in the former Ketsurui Military Sector. Kuvexians could go forward as a background enemy available to cause conflict for plot fuel but wouldn't be the major metaplot threat anymore. But basically we're looking at winding down the big war as soon as reasonably possible without disrupting GMs' plans.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

When you say releasing the systems to be civilian, do you mean something to the effect of Kuvexian high command getting on the horn and basically telling the forces there "You're all no longer part of the military, you're on your own" and that leading to like, the systems being occupied by warlords? I'm curious as to what that possibility would entail.

Excellent question Alex. What I meant was independent. A good example that's already in the RP is Sood Zadra, which the Kuvexians have already disbanded from their empire, leaving it to operate as a Kuvexian-friendly neutral port that doesn't actually belong to them and technically isn't part of the war anymore. Check out the wiki page to see what I mean.

Sounds like a good way to have the war wind down while maintaining the work done on the Kuvexians, as well as allowing future expansion upon them. The fact that they'll continue to be set up in the namesake Ketsurui Military Sector should provide a nice inspiration to Yamataian characters to fight against should their GM decide to continue to use them in RP. The Kuvexian War RP that I GM is set back when the KMS itself was taken, so ending it early won't disturb that. Elements of the Third Fleet just set up forward bases, as seen in the Kaiyo plot and announced in a previous news post, so I'm wondering if Yamatai's own forces might be ordered back or if they'll be able to maintain an expeditionary presence in a similar way that the Kuvexians will in the Kikyo Sector.

Elements of the Third Fleet just set up forward bases, as seen in the Kaiyo plot and announced in a previous news post, so I'm wondering if Yamatai's own forces might be ordered back or if they'll be able to maintain an expeditionary presence in a similar way that the Kuvexians will in the Kikyo Sector.
"We'll abandon our bases if you do."
"You first."

Considering the nature of the Kuvexian military and reasoning, it makes sense to do that. In my mind at least, I get East India Company vibes. They militarily bust down the wall like the kool-aid man to get a foothold (colonies) and then set up trade/homestead when enslaving doesn't completely work.

I am looking forward to being notFerengi.

So just thinking about this I hope there is a formal peace treaty between for the region. I'm kinda of picturing a DMZ of the former Yam territory being a buffer zone with a formal Kuvvie stronghold for there existing military to exist. I think this might work since right now both the main forces of Yam and Kuvvie both being exhausted to go through a exhausting siege. I think Nep might agree with a DMZ and a formal giving up planet to 3rd party or neutral planets might allow them to diplomatic court them.

Will also maybe give almost a Cold War Vibe between the factions as they can then court each of the planets and have tensions between diplomatic teams trying to get planets to align in the DMZ. Might be fun little alts to the combat.

Though I would also like if there is a rogue military element from the Kuvvies switching to pirating and raiding. Just so we can have those border tensions in the post war. They get secretly screened by the Kuvvie and both Nep with Yam can't do more then protest. Can allow for plots to still use them in a few post war plot ideas as well.

Just a few ideas to throw out there.

I don't think the Kuvexians would stop the use of privateers, though I think they would be more than simple pirate criminals. They could, again going with the mercantile theme, be trading companies using gunboat diplomacy to get what independent worlds there are to "open their ports to trade". But I would imagine there would be a significant lull before they start doing that as they need to suppress the local populace that couldn't evacuate and didn't turncoat to save their own skins.

I wish the former SMX worlds not claimed had more to them, they could make for excellent proxy war locations where all kinds of things can be misunderstood. Yamatai supports a group the Nepleslians hate because it counters the Kuvexian influence, some Reds get blasted in such a way by Greens outside of Nepleslia, someone discovers the foxes were the masters behind all this, etc.

I would agree, the ideas currently provided, do give very "cold war" vibes. I think, it allows for factions to have to focus now on diplomacy, economy and the constant tension of a multinational DMZ. I believe this may lead to a number good chances for both utilization of planets, in factions that haven't had the chance (or the time) to flesh out more of a background for said planets, while also giving more than just historical lore for those sectors. If that makes sense.

It's important to remember that the war is ending early so that new opportunities can arise in the meta, and not to replace an overt war with a cold war. The extent and scope of Wes's outline seems sufficient while further Kuvexian metaplot developments stay on the backburner, thus allowing GMs the freedom to pursue what they want (including border skirmishes with the new Kuvexian neighbors and clandestine raids against Kuvexian targets) instead of being stuck with their entire factional militaries focused on the same enemy in a different way.

It makes sense. Each faction that was involved can now, lick their wounds and step into or work towards rebuilding. The level of resources and sheer man power that has been used. Is massive, for the entire sector I'm sure. Over all i think the kuvexian war coming to a close, is a boon.

I am pretty sure I want to have one last grand battle in Kuvexian space since I'm there, but I also really want to go back to my plot's old style of mysterious problem/ enemies of the week rather than the same enemy/place/problem so that battle might not be actively RP'd. I think we'll hang around after current mission for another month or two (we're in fourth Yam month ICly) and have a few skirmishes and that big battle that will happen off screen. Maybe I'll make a newspost or work with raz to do a saint transmission, idk. But truly I am excited to come back to Yamatai and do a mystery of the week again. It's been so long since we've been home and exploring the Kikyo Sector 😩 It's so rich with plot fuel there... miss it lol

I am pretty sure I want to have one last grand battle in Kuvexian space since I'm there, but I also really want to go back to my plot's old style of mysterious problem/ enemies of the week rather than the same enemy/place/problem so that battle might not be actively RP'd. I think we'll hang around after current mission for another month or two (we're in fourth Yam month ICly) and have a few skirmishes and that big battle that will happen off screen. Maybe I'll make a newspost or work with raz to do a saint transmission, idk. But truly I am excited to come back to Yamatai and do a mystery of the week again. It's been so long since we've been home and exploring the Kikyo Sector 😩 It's so rich with plot fuel there... miss it lol
Erm can we have that big battle though ? Like pretty please. I want to be in one final charge for the twilight of the war.

I would do it if it could be an invasion of Kuvexia prime where the aim is to kill King Kalapom III and his bloodline... @Wes

That would exclude basically everyone but the cast of characters already in Kuvexian space, and seems like it'd kind of fly in the face of the whole "Neither side really won" thing.

I know, I DM'd Wes to tell him but should have made it more clear that I was going for something so outrageous that it wouldn't happen. I'm ready to move on- kaiyo plotship started with a mission objective to fight the Kuvexians on the frontline four years ago ^^

Hey, SARP is where we make your dreams come true. How about SAINT finds a rare opportunity where the King is away from his homeworld playing space-golf or something on a planet that the Star Army can reach (maybe there's a wormhole near it or something) and his defense fleet is smaller than it normally is, presenting the Star Army with a sudden moment where they find out about this and need to gather up anyone available (hint: the player characters) and launch and all-out assault to forcibly implement a regime change? The goal would be to see the enemy king captured, humiliated publicly and forced to sign a peace treaty and/or just killed (easier but risking him becoming a sort of martyr). Could be an Open RP event. Thoughts?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back