• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Less-Intimidating Character Biographies

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Recently I got a lot of great valuable feedback sent to me via conversation and one of the items was this:
There is just a lot of information out there, 10 years worth of RP canon that you are expected to wade through in order to make your character. I suspect that a lot of new players like myself want to throw down a rough idea and will slowly roll it and retcon their character into the cannon as they learn it. Part of the fun of role play is developing the character, and some members of the community expect a fully flushed out character immediately which is very difficult and overwhelming for a new player who is not familiar with the setting
So I was thinking, what would you want to see in a character biography from a brand-new player? Or even better, what questions would you want to answer if you were a new player making your first character bio? Current character biography templates are wonderful for our well-developed characters, but cumbersome for people just trying to make a character concept. If we could redesign the character bio to be less of a "sheet" or "dossier" and more into a questionnaire of the essentials, what would those be?

Here's what I have come up with:
  1. What's your character's name, age, species, and gender?
  2. Describe your character's appearance.
  3. What does your character do for a living?
  4. Briefly describe your character's background.
  5. Briefly describe your character's personality.
  6. Does your character have any special skills of note?
The above covers the essentials without forcing players to think too hard on their character's personality, history, or skills, which can be fleshed out later. It also avoids the inventory. Characters should probably be given a standard set of "starting items" and/or a link to their faction's standard issue gear.

Players could answer these on the forums, getting character approval without having to wrangle the wiki and then graduate up to wiki bios afterward.

Now, isn't this much simpler and flexible than the current process?

Also, before anyone comments something like "But the current process is deliberately difficult to keep out the rifraff!" or some other elitist bullcrap let me remind you that it's not (we design for a balance of ease of use and informativeness) and that we are much more concerned with bringing players in than keeping them out. Let's make character creation more enjoyable.

As long as this gets put on a wiki page at the end, it could work.

As for item 6 that is too vague for my liking. I like having a character use a standard core set of skills but personalize them. After all personalization is part of making a character. After all there are some things that people are naturally better at, or like. I prefer seeing that reflected in the character write up.

I would also suggest an item 7.

7. What is your character's current ambitions and goals?

I've had a new player asking me feedback on things that are very similar.

I still think it's important, though. It may be 'homework', but overall, I kind of believe the bio is how it is to have a player ask himself the hard questions on how to detail his/her character - a character which may have to stand the test of time. It doesn't mean it will - it's the kind of plan that 'doesn't survive contact with the enemy'. I do remember how I gave Kotori a few stylistic retcons midway through my experience on the YSS Sakura to make her more 'japanese', so I agree to conveying that the initial bio isn't something set in stone.

I won't claim special insights on what to do better - but I think the part about forcing a person to think about an entity which will be exposed to the scrutinery of other people/characters is important.

Last edited:
It might be also be good to state some explicit "assumptions" about any new character for the players. Things like:

Unless stated otherwise, assume that:
  1. Your character begins in good health.
  2. Your character speaks the major language(s) of your chosen faction/nation
  3. Your character has about 3000 KS or equivalent worth of starting cash and/or items
  4. Your character has a place to live.
@Nashoba: That's a good one, since motivations are important and can work with story hooks. I think the "7 skills" system we use now is a pain and still results in generic rewrites or copypasta and don't really help the RP much. Players almost never update them either, I find.

@Fred: I think asking those hard questions is great! I even recommend some 100-question lists in some of the CCGs, but we don't have to go full-blast from the onset. There are definitely a lot of players out there who would prefer to start vague and let the RP define them as they go.

Another idea I had is history archetypes for factional characters. We could write a collection of typical life stories for factional CCGs that would include things like the great plague, the various splinters from Yamatai, wars, and other common elements that would shape a character's life. Instead of hoping a player finds all that stuff in their wiki-wading, we'd put it in an organized format that tells them what we expect them to know.

I'm gonna have to say, save for the limited number of skills we can have on our characters with the current system, I like the way the character sheets are presently. I am used to making even more detailed and complicated character biographies than the ones here and like having the added levels of detail our current system allows for. *shruggs*

Gunsight, I too prefer the current, but if we can find ways to help players make quality characters easier I am willing to entertain ideas. I do have to say I am not a fan of the current SAOY practice of a character not having specialized. My plot lists the positions i need and getting a raw recruit really just means they are only good as basic infantry. Until they decide later to train.

I'd also point out that the wiki isn't the place for "vague". It's the rulebooks for SARP, when you get down to it. GMs need to know what they have to work with, and having players putting less and less information up just gives the GMs less to work with. Yeah, skills aren't huge on the whole. But then you have times like the Miharu, where Fred was giving people things to do specifically based on their skills, rather than everyone doing the same.

The character pages don't have to be set in stone, but I think they do have to be at least as detailed as they are now, and we've already pared them down from the systems that I preferred. You're a lot less likely to just walk away from a character you devoted that kind of time and effort to as well, whereas something you toss together in seven sentences doesn't really matter to you.

I do have to say I am not a fan of the current SAOY practice of a character not having specialized. My plot lists the positions i need and getting a raw recruit really just means they are only good as basic infantry. Until they decide later to train.
That is not a current practice. We tried it, decided we didn't like it, and went back. It's been over a year since then IIRC. And, while it's still an option for new characters, I don't see anyone actually using it.

You're a lot less likely to just walk away from a character you devoted that kind of time and effort to as well, whereas something you toss together in seven sentences doesn't really matter to you.

This. This is important. I know the barrier for entry can seem daunting, but once you get the necessary research/homework done, the accomplishment counts for something. At least, I remember it did to me.

Then again, I'm not trying to advocate no change being done. Just to point out certain things have advantages the way they are. What I personally feel could be improved here is a newcomer's power to make better informed decisions on how to create his new character so that the process in itself would become becomes less daunting.

As an example, the Star Army of Yamatai more or less presents three broad origin stories: the created nekovalkyrja, the youngling nekovalkyrja, and the young adult minkan and they go and become soldiers for thier nations. Going through the process in a more step-by-step fashion with clear forks in the road allowing the players to both make informed decisions, and while he reads through also understand Yamatai itself better.

For instance, the created nekovalkyrja can be either in the mass-produced variety or sprite-born to complement a ship's crew complement. In one, the way they are created and then sent to institutions to be educated takes a greater narrative role; whereas the latter puts more importance on the ship and crew the nekovalkyrja is created on and how that soldier's life is somewhat more jumpstarted, with the ship's computer being more important in that nekovalkyrja sprite's development.

For the youngling nekovalkyrja, being born smaller and needing to grow up is a different experience than being a created 'adult'. Who the mother is (occupation, rank, role) becomes more important, because the mother makes a greater impression in the youngling nekos' life - younglings may be born small, but thier childhood is all too short, especially considering they are born diminutive and inexperienced, but not mentally immature. We can touch on how the nekovalkyrja mother's role is significant, but that in a way, the 'nekovalkyrja community' collectively has a role in weaning their young ones (something I think may have commonality with created sprites as well). Environment and community also shapes them more, and the youngling nekovalkyrja gets more choices about what she wants to do out of her 'adult' life.

In Minkan, the emphasis is probably more set on their longer trek to adulthood, which makes family and environment all the more important. Defining important transitions in life (elementary school, high school, college) to historically significant events can help round out their knowledge base. Being born on a planet and selecting what city they are from also is a factor that can significantly shape them culturally and historically - though another viable choices could be in depicting people from Yamataian colonies: from people living closer to central Yamatai (Anisa, Tatiana, Tami, etc) to people living on farther off frontier worlds (the Bard Cluster, around Daichi, etc) - this makes living in planets other than Yamatai and presenting Yamatai as a wide Empire much more relevant. Family also plays a role as to current occupations and presenting people whom have lived around the universe longer than the created PC, meaning he/she is exposed to backstory normally less relevant to the nekovalkyrja. Family conditions/occupations can also play a role in showing off how prosperous the Empire is in certain locations more than others, and better define the utopic conditions of central worlds in comparison to the more ambitious struggles of frontier worlds.

Making Phodians and Kodians more relevant could also involve fleshing out those same forking origin stories as well. While involving them means more work, it also makes a statement of the Empire having expanded and being large enough to become a community of entirely different alien cultures whom - despite those differences - loyally serve under the Yamataian flag.

If we make the process of creating a character in SARP more like a story, I think we might be able to make the experience far more pleasant to a newcomer while still retaining most of the details and considerations we want out of character biographies.

Last edited:
Recently I got a lot of great valuable feedback sent to me via conversation and one of the items was this:

So I was thinking, what would you want to see in a character biography from a brand-new player? Or even better, what questions would you want to answer if you were a new player making your first character bio? Current character biography templates are wonderful for our well-developed characters, but cumbersome for people just trying to make a character concept. If we could redesign the character bio to be less of a "sheet" or "dossier" and more into a questionnaire of the essentials, what would those be?

Here's what I have come up with:
  1. What's your character's name, age, species, and gender?
  2. Describe your character's appearance.
  3. What does your character do for a living?
  4. Briefly describe your character's background.
  5. Briefly describe your character's personality.
  6. Does your character have any special skills of note?
The above covers the essentials without forcing players to think too hard on their character's personality, history, or skills, which can be fleshed out later. It also avoids the inventory. Characters should probably be given a standard set of "starting items" and/or a link to their faction's standard issue gear.

Players could answer these on the forums, getting character approval without having to wrangle the wiki and then graduate up to wiki bios afterward.

Now, isn't this much simpler and flexible than the current process?

Also, before anyone comments something like "But the current process is deliberately difficult to keep out the rifraff!" or some other elitist bullcrap let me remind you that it's not (we design for a balance of ease of use and informativeness) and that we are much more concerned with bringing players in than keeping them out. Let's make character creation more enjoyable.

Haven't we already bypassed this with the Open RP forum? Concerns about it aside, it feels like this has been dealt with by making it so they hardly have to create characters to get into that forum. They can just start off with their idea and move on.

I believe in what Fred says. The balancing attempt works well enough at the start, but what happens when the tire meets the road and we have to really hammer out issues with the bio? I have stopped reviewing new characters because of how loose it's all become, and I'd be happy to get back into it farther along in the process.

That said, you don't want to make it hard on these people, hard like it was for us. That hardness helped make the characters as good as they became.

throwing my two cents in for what they are worth... (oddly I believe two cents but I'm not an economy major...)

I'm seeing a trend here on this site. Not that this in entirely bad but it can led to some problematic issues. We are trying to dumb down the system and trying to make it so everyone and their dog can play. Which, awesome let them come. Though here is the issue, we have some built in measures to make sure people who are coming in, really want to play. It took me two years of popping on the wiki and reading articles, before I really started to feel confident that i could play a character here. No I'm not saying everyone needs to spend that much time.

The issue I'm seeing is I can come to this site now, if we dumb down the character sheets, and punch out a character in a few minutes and get it past, with out knowing much about the setting. So i start in my first RP plot, lets take the Euch. I board the ship, and the computer starts talking to me.. What the hell I'll treat it like any other dumb machine. Then there is the big thing about not understanding the culture, or how things work in the setting.

the way we have the long form character sheets force us to learn about the universe to even build our first character.

Take it of leave it, I want to see the setting become more assailable to more people but not at the expense of the setting. Tear this apart as you see fit.

I don't see any real reason to change it. If you're not willing to put in the effort to learn, and look up what you need to look up when you need to, then you may not want to play on this forum... I didn't have any trouble creating my first character, and even though it took me a good two solid days of reading through wiki things, and more time reading through wiki things as I go along, I feel like it helps immerse in the experience.

I was able to understand what it means to be Yamataian, or Neko, from reading and doing the right research.

I have to agree with Tanka, I feel like dumbing down the application process will in turn dumb down the RP and dilute the story.

I also believe that reducing the complexity too much will come with extra bumps in RP; however I'd like to hghlight that Fred's recommendation to provide story streams during the creation process would be helpful. Up front immersion in what they are looking to create so that they're ready to hit the ground running upon character approval would be a plus that even I would have appreciated when I first arrived.

The Community has to have an attitude that welcomes new players, rather than demands something to "allow" them to come in. I'm not saying this is what SARP does, but I'm bringing it up as something I've run into in the past.
This is something from one of our newer players in the Things Your Admin Worries About thread. Maybe it's sobering to think of it this way: the feedback from people in this thread is only from people who "made it" through the process of joining. But there are literally hundreds of players out there that either didn't bother or came, made a post or two, and then left, because right now, making a full player character is kind of a pain in the ass, especially if you're the type of player who wants some flexibility.

I think the "7 skills" thing needs to go (again), for the reasons that they're a large hurdle, they're rarely updated or used in the RP, and the system is confusing and limiting. I want to replace it with, "besides the normal skills of someone in your occupation, do you have any other skills of note?" or just "describe your character's notable skills" and let the player determine how elaborate they want to be.

Here's a Basic Character Template for the proposed basic character creation system.

Other than a minor skill revision, I don't see a need to alter what works. As the others have said, it serves as a gateway towards a player's understanding of a setting to have the long-form character sheet. It prevents one-shotters from jumping in (More than usual, anyways. On a REGULAR roleplaying forum, you get a LOT more short-termers who join an RP and then leave. Here, the problem is incredibly minimal.)

Streamlining the information to create the character, however, is a good thing. If only to cut down on dense chunks of information people won't use.

I still think that facilitating the intimidating 'setting research' hurdle new players face by integrating it into the character creation process would help make character creation a lot more approachable. If anything needs to be fixed, I think it's that. Skills, comparatively, are a much more minor concern... but I mostly see it as counter-constructive to remove them from the equation. Maybe the process for it would need to be overhauled from scratch to make the venture in considering them a more informative/character building process as well.

I think the strength of the skill system is twofold: first it's a research process so that I - the new player - can get a better mental picture of my character and how he/she needs to perform in the setting,and how I want he/she to be customized to my liking. Second, it's a process which justifies - to the GM - what I claim I can do in the roleplay (actually doing it with good judgment is another matter entirely).

I concur with Wes' idea of making the skill system simple and less structured. I believe SARP should have a standard template for a character type, such as an infantrymen, and then life skills or other skill your character knows that are justified by their background or a one liner in the skill of why they have that skill. Then the site can have an example list of skills someone knows as I hate the idea of a comprehensive list of skill because it limits creativity, like chibi-Nekovalkyrja tossing.

The rest of the template was sufficient in my opinion as it is really something that not only helps players get familiar with the site, it allows them to create a somewhat professional looking character bio they can be proud of. The amount of content can be worked out with the GM, which is another forcing function of the template as it makes them interact with the GM and start building player to player relationships.

I personally do not see how exactly are skills confusing and intimidating, but that is not the point. Point is that they help us with the stuff like character suddenly claiming to know how to fly a jetfighter, even though she is a cook. Just saying.

Moving on. In my opinion, I would suggest to new players to make a simple character that would be fun for them to play and insert into RP. Play that character to get the feel for the roleplay and canon. Then they can make the "flag" character using all the information they accumulated in fun way aka through the roleplay!

Also the questionnary is not a bad thing. Few question one should ask himself or herself before he or she writes the character. What motivates the character, what does she like, what makes her feel threatened and the such. Just a little hint, a bundle of question that can help the new player and even experienced SARPers flesh out their characters.

I don't see how this is any more simple a template, save for the skills. If we require a new player answer each of those bits to roughly the same level we have now, nothing seems streamlined. Am I missing something?

Not repeating the boilerplate skills, even in links, seems to leave the player without that basic knowledge of their MOS/class. Wes, you rattled your players hard on that stuff years ago. Do you still? If so, you're not helping players feel welcome. If you're not, then as long as players still get some knowledge at some point of the MOS/class, then it's not so bad.

And as long as a player doesn't start getting OP/boring with their chosen "special skills."

I have to ask, though: Isn't the Open RP supposed to be where we send these players who want "flexibility"? I thought that was the compromise that was made: if a newbie wants a full-blown PC, they go through the old hoops to ensure quality; if they want a quicker char rolled up, focus on the Open RP. I ask because I am honestly confused there.

Honestly, looking at it from both ends of this, it seems almost silly. Looking back at character sheets and posts from back when I first joined, they were tiny. There were a quarter of the plotships, far fewer players, and everything was much shorter. And then the Sakura continued, and we got more and more detailed. And about the same time is when the site exploded. Character templates were easily twice as long, and we started to get more and more plotships, and even factions.

If having to put more work into characters is really such a bad thing, and drives people away, I don't see how we had so much success using systems like that. I honestly don't feel like the people who come around have changed, we just pay more attention to what the people who don't stay have to say. And to be honest, there's not always a reason people choose not to stick around, but if you ask them why, they'll be able to come up with something to explain it.

We've built a wonderful community, a wonderful setting, without going out of our way to make things ridiculously easy or simple. I don't see any particular reason for us to go out of our way to change things at this point.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back