• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission Light Gauss Starship Cannon

Kai

Retired Staff
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=corp:origin:light_gauss_starship_cannon
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
WIP URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:corp:origin:light_gauss_starship_cannon

Template URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=templates:weapon

This is an updated replacement for one of Origin's older weapons, designed for use in small to medium starships, and tiered to allow for some older starships to retain relatively the same loadout while complying with weapons limitations. Also has an ammunition article which will be submitted shortly. This will also serve as the basis for two more higher-tiered weapons, that the ammunition submission will also be used for.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This review is for: LGSC

[ ✔ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✔ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✔ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✔ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✔ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✔ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✔ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✔ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ❔ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✔ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

It looks like a mini GIPC. I like it. Its simple and seems to fit the rules with no issue, except for the velocity and range. I'm no expert but in space these rounds should fly forever and if a shell hits a planet at what is basically lightspeed it would probably be apocalyptic. I don't see any specific rules regarding it but for the sake of scale I feel like backing the speed down would be a good idea. What do you think?

I don't mind backing it down if the DR remains the same, or even just removing it alltogether and keeping it nebulous, as we do with lots of things here on SARP, I had just listed the velocity that high on the original GIPC as justification for its high DR (the second highest possible under DRV2)

Right, that DR should be kept regardless of speed. Keeping it nebulous would probably be best but I'm going to phone a friend who knows more. @FrostJaeger, do you know what a good speed is for a 250mm railgun hitting a tier 8 DR?

Sorry for the late reply - 0.500c, I guess? Will have something better in the morning. T8 and T5 are also way too low for a light starship’s main gun in my opinion; I’d have them like this:
  • HEP: Tier 11
  • HKP: Tier 10
  • EMP: Tier 11/Tier 8 (versus barriers & unprotected electronics/versus everything else)
Apologies for the brevity of this - as of writing, have been awake for twenty continuous hours. xvx

Keep in mind there is also a submission for the ammo type, and there will be two more guns submitted in the near future- one an updated version of the GIPC and another scaled up version beyond that.

You should leave the speed nebulous. Much like the other railgun type submissions for starships we already have it makes more sense to leave it nebulous so your rounds can still hit the target.

If you go with an arbitrary number (like 0.5c) then you could end up with people falling into SARP's wonky speed system or your players might rightfully argue that they can simply outrun your weapons. By leaving the numbers arbitrary we can stick with the general agreement that guns fire rounds fast enough to reach the target during normal RP time without having to explicitly state that the rounds travel at a good fraction of c which opens up other problems.

The highest of these tiers are roughly on par with the GIP, even though this is supposed to be smaller than that weapon. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be intentional or not.

The Weapon Template requires a muzzle velocity, @Zack - and please stop trying to promote your beliefs in other people’s setting submissions. If you want something to be changed, then please create a discussion thread and/or a separate submission.

Probably not a good idea. That means that you can simply change the speed of the railguns just whenever you want. This is...not very good for consistency.

Just give it like a really high speed (0.8c)

I have seen some very good points both directions. Since the Ammo article lists .9c we'll just go with that. I'm sure at that speed it will burn up in a planets atmosphere or something.

This review is for: LGSC

[ ✔ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✔ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✔ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✔ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✔ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✔ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✔ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✔ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✔ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✔ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Thank you for approving this, I've gone in and edited all the values to agree with the ammunition article, as well as moved the page.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back