• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Looking for Feedback

Gabriel

🎖️ Game Master
Time for the roast to begin...

I'd like some feedback on an idea I've been fiddling with in my mind. The DETOUR program would be an IC starting point from which I plan on creating tech for an automated turret system for use on SAoY starships. I understand that these are all things that we inherently assume to exist within SARP, and have probably all RP'd as though they exist (and used them as though they exist), but I'm I like having explanations for things in writing.

This also provides some basis, I think, for additional RP opportunities for Starship Operator characters, or anyone operating starship weaponry as it (1) provides at least some IC example of the technical knowledge/background that these characters would need to have and (2) allows for verbal/SPINE interaction between a gunner and the ship's MEGAMI, meaning that there can be some back-and-forth banter/debate, rather than just "I fire X guns at Y target."

Thoughts?

It'd be cool to flesh some more stuff out, I suppose. But MEGAMI-FCS already exists in hard (wiki) canon, with its basic procedures outlined.
The MEGAMI operates a sub-system dedicated to fire control operations. Megami compensates for all movement of the ship and of target ships, and can track upwards of a billion targets ranging from pebble-sized shrapnel to planets. MEGAMI-FCS usually controls all weapons systems (though actual firing of the main gun can only be initiated by an authorized crew member).

I appreciate you pointing that out. My idea is somewhat similar, but it would be accounting for weapons grouping based on predicted enemy durability (rather than accounting for aim based on movement). Basically, it would use the proposed system to know not to shoot the main weapon at a fighter, but at the battleship instead. But I hadn't thought of just adding the entry to the MEGAMI page.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back