• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Lotus Orbital Drop Troops (Rikugun?)

I mean, usually soldiers in SARP take a shuttle down to planets, although they might jump out of the shuttle at some altitude instead of waiting for it to land.

Also when you have Mindy armors who can teleport from their ship to the target on the surface, is orbital drop still needed?

So In a combat situation you go to a shuttle or wait with a small team to teleport down (because I presume there is a limit to the amount of people you can transport) you are basically putting disadvantage to the rikugun big time.

Why? Because people are being depended on those resources, while Orbital drop is jump in your PA and go. A shuttle shot down you loose 8 people, pa team has this problem not.

Food for thought

Has there ever been an instance of some kind of interference or interdiction towards teleportation?

Like if enough aether or similar powerful forces like nuclear or something is going on planetside is it still possible for PA to just teleport in? Teleporting on a personal scale seems like a very precise and possibly fatal process if all the parameters arent met.

So if theres say, A massive battle going on both planet and void side with a lot of factors like powerful disruptive weapons in play is it safe to teleport planetside without the risk of all these EMP and whatever Aether does disrupting the process and only teleporting most of you?

I only ask because Yamatai's teleporting technology seems awfully broken and without any defects short of rapid teleportation causing a chance of a miscast and partial teleportation. And simply teleporting thousands of mindys planetside on targets regardless of fortifications and with no means of stopping them. Especially at distances that almost every ship short of those made by yamatai can fire from (Certainly not nep ships where only our largest anti capital weapons can even reach, And not accurately at that.)

Only saying it would be nice from an RP POV to fight the beach-head instead of just teleporting in, Throwing some fancy weapons around for a minute until everyone's dead and rise/repeat.

Yes, there are certain times where teleportation cannot be used or used safely. But there are also times where a SOFT team has teleported directly to a Kuvexian Admiral's flagship's bridge and murdered everyone, and this can be done with planets too.

Makes me a bit wonder if Yamatai are bit godlike as they got so much tech that seems a bit overkill. I know I might not make friends with such statements but I am quite realistic or trying to and know that every tech has a disadvantage or should have it.

Functionally, it's not that different than transporters in Star Trek, just not as refined at this point.

Something I'll note is that my understanding of teleporters is that they can't go through shields. Any military planner worth their salt will have anti-teleportation shields of some sort in place. Because teleportation is pretty OP. There are a couple of times that truly impressive things have been pulled off with teleports, but their mostly against unprepared opponents or oppoents who we had to fight to take down the teleportation functionality.

Right, with the Kuvexian example I gave, the YSS Eucharis had to beat their shields down first.

Yes, there are certain times where teleportation cannot be used or used safely. But there are also times where a SOFT team has teleported directly to a Kuvexian Admiral's flagship's bridge and murdered everyone, and this can be done with planets too.

We were grunts for the most part, not even SOFT.

I've been thinking of making a no-teleporter version of the Mindy 4, because teleporters are probably very expensive. From an OOC perspective this would let GMs choose what armor version to give their players if they don't want their players to teleport to the finish line.

Planetary transportation (teleporting I mean from space) has various issues in it self. Aside from the fact that you are in a space combat situation, need time to fix a position, there are also environmental issues of the planet or maybe weather conditions that could interfere. With ODT you don’t have to do that as you slide down from orbit.

I know wit SAIC/Giretsu School, when I did the initial write up, it was supposed to be less of a special forces school, and more of "TOPGUN for PA Combat".

I like that idea, Wes. Not cause im against or not a fan of rule-of-cooling stuff like simply teleporting into a bridge or command center from further than almost any weapon can accurately hit or deny them.

But because like you said, Its likely expensive. And should likely be trusted to people like seinor NCOs and also officers who have the training and expertise to not bisect themselves when they start rapid teleporting from enemy to enemy super fast (As players with young and inexperienced neko are want to do).

Even yamatai with all its resources would be foolish to simply give green troops a mindy (thats already expensive in its own right) and throw on something that may cost almost as much to produce. My logic behind this is teleportation tech is extremely advanced since i can only recall yamatai and maybe the iroma having it (with maybe nep having the ability to do teleporting stuff but not on such a man portable scale and not yet feasible in a military use) and yamatai has managed to make it small enough to be installed on a mindy which cant be cheap to make such advanced tech be so small and still work almost flawlessly.

And giving it to green troops to lose in the field and have self destruct alongside a suit with other likely expensive tech bits and bobbles and accessories and zesu and stuff could ruin any other faction if they lost them at the scale yamatai is likely losing troops in mindys in the current scale of the war. And im sure yamatai is doing a lot of big spending to send out ships and suits and grind out more neko it cant not be coming out at a loss financially especially with the worlds and troops and equipment lost.

The problem with the teleportation modules being newish, very restricted tech is every lost Mindy armor is an opportunity for someone to steal the tech. Things used to be fine before, when Yamatai was probably going to win whatever engagement; however, now that Yamatai is starting to lose some battles to the Kuvexians, and fleets worth of ships are being lost in enemy-controlled space, filling each SAOY ship with hundreds of these teleportation modules seems suddenly like a bad idea.

I mentioned in one of my modified teleportation modules, that the original teleportation unit had to be taken out. Perhaps someone found that they could put something else, such as a capacitor, energy cloak projector, or perhaps NSB launchers in it's place.

Regarding orbital drops, can anyone recall and link to any precedential RP to reference or perhaps break down/critique?

Also, teleporter tech might need some sort of software update in the meantime. Like if it's powered on or used without the OS or a validated SACN user managing the OS, it destroys its own systems. The modules themselves might also be set to self-terminate if someone attempts to open it.

Even when teleportation is "problematic" or unusable for orbital drop scenarios, I've seen RP where Mindy simply form a CFS bubble and zip down through the atmosphere in a totally controlled descent. Trans-atmospheric operations are no different for Mindy than moving through space, whether it's by way of teleporter, CFS, or using regular propulsion. The battlescape in power armor combat is not limited or separated by whether the Star Army is fighting on a planet, in the void, or on a ship. All of these things are one flowing concept, and are nothing more than terrain features that are encountered in the vast expanse of space.

So to combat losing teleporters I have an idea, @Wes! Let’s bring back the M2-2D sans teleporter for general usage and reserve M2-4s for the more qualified troops.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back