• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP Mad Mav

Jack Pine

RP Date
YE 40, 9 hours after S6 departure
RP Location
Tenba Shuttle---->S6S-Anvil
The Tenbu shuttle departed from the local independent space station, it's passenger module carrying over 100 new recruits for S6, most going to SABER. Neera peeked in from the front of the craft and through the door that lead into the passenger area. Her red eyes looked over each face for a moment gauging each person as much as possible. She wanted to try and tell how much possible training they may need, how much experience they possibly had already, and what possible personality they had.

She sighed as it was a rough image at best, and so far, most were looking pretty green. Father had entrusted her with this job, and yet she knew it would be no easy task.

However....there was one man she lingered on a bit longer. Gersherin like her grandmother, somewhere between 40's and 50's, dark hair. Despite his casual demeanor, and generic looks, something about him said he'd been through much.

David's dark brown eyes had been slowly looking between each of the other people for himself, god they made him feel old despite the slowed aging this body afforded him - those eyes landed on the most important-looking person in the room, some kind of wolf-girl with fur as white as un-spoiled snow and a chest that looked like it was difficult to lug around all day.

"Anything I can do to help you miss? or are you just admiring your recruits?" he asked in a voice that was deeper than your usual Jon Doe but not overly so, having noticed the lass' eyes settled on him he thought he might as well try to make the trip a little less boring - so why not talk rather than simply sit in silence.

Well shit, she had been noticed. This is why she never did stealth ops.

"Gauging potential.", Neera said as she triggered the pneumatic door to open the whole way before stepping in.

She took one of the several empty seats available, this one next to the man. "Most of these people seem like beginners, but you......you give off a feeling like you've done this all before. If that feeling is true, you might just make officer in no time."

"Very astute of you, it's not my first rodeo and I'm hoping it's not my last, not to blow hot air up my ass but I've been an officer before if you can believe that.." David trailed off slightly, giving his beard an idle scratch before offering the wolf-girl-thing a friendly hand.

"Maverock, David Maverock - I'm sure it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Lieutenant Neera Pine. Pleasure to meet you Mr.Maverock. So what brings you out here to our humble group?", the wolf girl said accepting the hand before shaking.

"Nothing really if I'm allowed to be quite frank, I'm just some guy doing his thing in the universe..." David trailed off rather stoically before letting out a slight chuckle.

"I'm just yanking yer chain, the pay was nice and the poster was pretty so it must be a decent gig - how did a pretty thing like you get into all this?"

"I signed up after a terrorist group took my brother. After we got him back, I stayed on and worked my way up. My father was very proud.", Neera answered simply, leaving a few details out, at least for the moment.

"Terrorists huh? they're a nasty lot but I'm glad you guys at least had more or less of a happy ending," David responded with a thoughtful look as he scanned over Neera's appearance.

"You have every right to not answer but... do you mind if I ask what sort of exotic creature you might be? I've seen folks similar before but you seem different if I might add, no offense intended," he asked, trying to stay polite.

"Well I used to be an actual wolf. I was made my company that genetically made smart animal companions. The DNA of who was to be my charge was used to allow my intelligence. After an incident I wanted a more...evolved body. So one was made, though I'm somewhat more genetically human now.", Neera answered a little surprised by the question, but not offended any.

"A wolf?" David repeated back, a little surprised by it all but he had heard stranger things in his life. "Well I wasn't expecting that but that just makes it more impressive, sorry to poke again but I do have one more question if you don't mind."

David gulped somewhat hesitantly but not too noticably so before he asked, "Did you pick your... proportions or was that someone else?"

A small laugh began from Neera, "No actually, my first boyfriend did. He was founder of our medical department, and was the department head before he left. He designed this body."

David gave a small chuckle too, he was glad she hadn't taken it the wrong way - overall Neera seemed like a pretty chill person, "Ah well I see he took some creative liberties here and there - can't say it's anything I wouldn't've done myself."

"So what kind of squad role do you see yourself filling?", Neera asked changing tracks.

Right, he was here for a job - David had gotten himself a little too drawn into those eyes but now it seemed things were back to business, "Infiltration, close-quarters, breaching, hell hostage retrieval - pretty much anything that gets me up close and personal, yourself?"

"I'm an officer, I direct squads of troops like soon to be yourself. Other then that assault, and recon are my forte."

She paused after saying this, looking thoughtful as she wondered if she had forgotten something. "We should be arriving shortly, I can answer any questions you might have about our group, the job, people you'll meet.", Neera said before giving a light chuckle, "Or any others you have about me."

"Ah I see, good to know at least one officer has experience behind them and not just a badge on their chest," David mused as he gave the fellow recruits once more pass through his vision.

"I have two questions, one personal and one more professional - I'm no white knight but I have some morals, do Section 6 keep their noses clean? no slavery or anything like that?" the Geshrin man asked rather seriously, he'd been mislead before but usually they didn't just blurt it at him when he asked.

There was always the off chance though, plus he wasn't getting that kind of vibe off of Neera.

"Absolutely not, everyone has rights here. In a way our founder was a slave, and he has since made a point of opposing anyone who does hold slaves.", She answered rather sternly, a moment before she softened her expression, "What was the personal question?"

"Well that's a relief, either you're telling the truth or are one hell of a liar," David jokingly mused ask he went to ask the other question. "Ah well I was just going to ask if a sweet little bundle of sunshine like you had a lucky man back home, it's good to get to know people I'll be working with and so far you seem like the only definitive one of those people."

"Oh uh.", She seemed hesitant to answer, "I...did...He died a while back. He was a trooper named Jace. Huh, I seem to have terrible luck with men.", She admitted with a nervous chuckle.

"I'm sorry to hear that, I didn't mean to open old wounds or anything - the worst things seem to happen to the best of us," David replied, he regretted asking now but at least he knew not to bring it up again.

"If you ever start looking again, I know for a fact there is another person out there for you - hell I haven't managed to find someone I'd like to settle down with either but I'm hopeful," the Geshrin admitted, looking down at his scuffed boots as he did so.

"For now I've just got myself and my wits, they've carried me this far."

"No it's fine. I need to move on, he would want that. I'll let you know if I am, but for right now, our people need us on the job. We have a home to find, and families to defend.", Neera said giving the man a gentle pat on the shoulder.

"Oh uh, I'm flattered but no worries - I can put a higher purpose above my own wants and needs, we'll have no issues there," David said with a little bit of a nervous chuckle, in hindsight it did kind of seem like he was trying to come on to her but whatever - what was done was done.

"So I assume it'll be the usual orientation and scramble to find the bunks once we land? or do my benevolent benefactors do things a little differently?"

"Everyone has their own quarters. You be issued gear, issued a quarter, then sit through a little speech from the commander. After you have the rest of the day to familiarize yourself with the other personnel, or relax. Tomorrow you all begin training."

"Well damn, almost sounds like you people know what you are doing," he joked, shaking the thought from his mind and running a hand back through his deep brown hair to make it a bit more presentable before continuing. "What's your policy on people using their own gear - specifically weapons?"

"As long as you carry the issued gear, you can carry what ever personal gear in addition. All issued gear is your's to own. It's all custom fitted and such, so only you can use it anyways.", Neera said explaining, "The commander was ex-military, so most of the organization for everything was arranged by his experience, and shifted, or altered based on need."

"Very official, very efficient - I can work with that, so no complaints from me so far," David replied with a nod for good measure, he had just been going into this thinking it would be another job but honestly it was growing on him - if even half his expectations were met then David might have to stick around for a bit and see how things panned out.

"This is good, I almost cannot wait to get started - you've got me feeling as giddy as a kid on their first day of school."

"Well I won't lie, it's kinda slow right now. Can't do patrols on a fleet. Most of it is basic security. Don't worry though, father is a good man, he respects and cares for his troops. That is after all why he started Section 6."

"Nothing wrong with being idle from time to time, gives us more time to make sure everyone is well taken care of for when shit comes crashing down on us," David added thoughtfully. It all was seeming too good to be true, a job he was good at that paid decently and was under the watchful guise of someone with supposedly rather good morals.

"I like that, not great - good, it's a much better show of character in my opinion to recognise that everybody has their flaws."

"We are only people. Some may have the certain traits to be leaders, but more often then not they are just as fallible.", Nora said agreeing, "Not to say I don't admire what he's managed to accomplish. Managing a growing organization while still taking care of his family. The ideals that he fights for, are why I'm proud to be his daughter."

"And he's very proud to be your Father I'm sure," David replied with a light elbow to Neera's side as he cleared his throat briefly. "All these, no doubt, fancy guns you'll be throwing my way and you want to know what I'm most fond of?" the man asked, reaching down into the collar of his cloak as he slowly began pulling something metal out - slowly so she'd get the hint he wasn't about to go swinging it wildly.

"This, a simple and generic machete," he added as the old weapon was laid across his lap, it looked beaten up by the passage of time yet well maintained regardless.

"It's a bit of an odd choice, I am aware of this - but it's the one I made."

"That's not all that uncommon, we used to have vibro machetes as standard melee carry at one point. We've since switched to long knives, but quite a few still use them."

"I'm not one that believes in fate, but it's hard to argue with a coincidence like that," David chuckled as he reached back and slid the blade into it's leather scabbard. "What about you Neera, any particular weapons you fancy?"

"Other then my wit? A good rifle, not picky which as long as it does the job. However I have enjoyed the sword lessons from my uncle.", Neera answered with a fond smile as gave her answer.

"He's kind of a samurai, sort of."

"Kind of a samurai is in he used to be one or kind of a samurai as in he's an informal one? if you don't mind me asking," David chose to ask, showing a good bit of healthy curiosity on the subject.

Neera thought how to explain that, "He was on a yamatai military ship for 6 months, during that he received training, but not completely. He still practices those lessons, and carries a special katana at all times."

"Well if he's skilled then he's skilled, whether that comes with a title or not hardly matters in my opinion," David mused in response, breifly rubbing the rough surfaces of his hands together thoughtfully before he decided to divulge some more information about himself - it only seemed fair.

"I ran with Yamatai for a bit, even wore their black panels until they kicked us Geshrin out - didn't bother returning after they tried to bring us back in though - before that I spent some time with Nepleslia's Greens, honestly it's more or less the same thing no matter what side you're on," he finished with a small grin, reminiscing on old memories.

"Sounds like you've been around a while, no offense. My grandmother is Gersherin, also ex-yam military. I don't actually known what she did between then and and now, doesn't talk about it much. She's an officer like me, and our best sniper."

"Oh none taken, it's the truth afterall - I'm not about to pretend I'm some spring chicken. But this grandmother of yours seems like one hell of a woman if you're anything to go by, I might have to ask for an audience with her some time - you can get in a certain mindset once you've seen a few things rise and fall," the man spoke thoughtfully, disregarding what Neera had said earlier about being a wolf and all that - true family didn't need to share genetics.

"I'm sure that can be arranged at some point. Her and her wife recently had another baby. That brings them up to four. Other grandmother runs our AD&R department. Seems like the family grows more everyday.", Neera said with a small laugh.

"Her... and her wife hey... well I can't help but act a little surprised by that," David chuckled, things like this sometimes made him feel like a man out of time - like the world was moving faster than he could run after it.

"No arguments here as long as everyone is happy... they do sound like a rather fertile lot, it's funny how some things work out."

"Yeah I swear I end up babysitting most of the time I'm not on duty.", the wolf girl said with a sigh, "But hey I love em all, and I make sure to be there when they need me."

"Aunty Neera must be a hit with the little ones," he said before looking off thoughtfully for a bit, trying to piece together this family tree that was beginning to feel more like a bramble bush. "Is that right? Aunt? I'm having a bit of difficulty processing all these relations."

"Well technically niece to my grandmothers' little ones, and sister to my siblings. I have 5 siblings."

"Ah, that makes sense now that I think about it - must be odd but you seem to be coping alright with it all," the man joked slightly, knocking a knee gently against one of hers in a teasing yet friendly manner despite the fact they'd only just met on this shuttle.

"Oh trust me, you haven't seen just how odd this family is yet."

"Well you've grabbed my attention in more ways than one Miss Pine, call it a healthy sense of exploration mixed with morbid curiosity."

Neera laughed again, "Dont thank me just yet. This rabbit hole goes far deeper then it seems. You might think us mad by the end of it."

The laugh was returned with a chuckle at all this banter, not even an hour in and David felt right at home - despite not actually having even arrived yet. "I dunno about that, little bit of crazy can do some good every now and then - plus I don't scare easily."

The ship made a bump sound, followed by the sound of closing hangar doors.

This gave Neera a surprised look, "We're here already? Well I thought we still had most of an hour left. Time flies."

"Tends to happen with good company, as much of a shame as that is," David said as he checked his satchel's strap and rose to a stand, offering the wolf-girl a hand as the man continued speaking. "A pleasure to meet you Neera Pine, I look forward to working with you in the time ahead of us."

"Same. As I said before, I think you'll make officer in no time.", She said accepting the hand and offering a smile.

"I'll certainly try to meet those expectations, never been much of a quitter," David replied with his own smile as the various other recruits began filing out of the Tenba-class transporter, politely helping the woman up before shaking her hand out of respect and finally releasing the paw.

"I suppose you're a busy woman though so I won't keep you too much longer, take care of yourself Miss," the man said with one final nod before he moved to exit the shuttle with the rest of his kind - he could already tell this would be an exciting chapter of his life to write to say the least.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back