• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: 188604 Marbles are over rated

Z

Zack

When it had become time to finally go into Uso's room, Afton took the chance. He wasn't sure on what to think of the odd man he had been stuck with for this time. But he was now getting away from it. At least there was no silence anymore. Going into the room, Afton closed the door behind himself with his disfigured left hand. Course, he closed the needed gap and came to where Uso was sitting. It seems Sasha wasn't able to remain though and had gone offher own way. His one eye glanced over to the person in charge and his mind struggled to comprehend what to do. What do you do in this situation? What to say? Having so many loose marbles was not helping him right now. Eventually, he reached out with his less deformed right hand and held it out for a shake.

"Afton...Hiles." he introduced.

Course that was the only name he knew and was using right now. What real name he already did have, was buried somewhere in his mind. Stiching danced on his ring finger around it and Uso would see just how malnourished the man still was.

".... uh, hi. You look like you need a sandwhich." Uso replied, stating this as a serious observation of the person infront of her, "And... a whole new body. What's wrong with you? We have people who can fix these things."

Pulling his hand away, he figured the shake wouldn't matter. THough it shook slightly at her questions as he stood there, his gaze glanced away from her for a moment. Had Sasha explaiend anything? Or had this woman not believed her? Well hard to say in all honesty. Though he finally glanced back to Uso after a few moments of silence.

"Nothing that I wanted....that's what's wrong with me....loose marbles you could say." Afton replied. "However, I can still take a hint if you don't believe the lady who brought me here."

"I could say that. I will also probably say it a few more times. So what's up? I'm clearly missing something here. Though I take it from your clothing and ... you know... " Uso waved her hands around, trying to indicate she was talking about his body, "This..... I get the feeling vengence will need to be sought or something like that. People like you don't show up with amazing ideas for new sandwhiches."

"A good part of me would like....that, but a much bigger part would love to not deal with them ever again. Depending on which way marbles roll will help with some form of balance between the two parts." Afton replied. "As for what's up, I have nothing to do. Nowhere to be and no obligations to hold. And frankly, I don't want to end up with those rat bastards again even with how loose my marbles are. Whatever skills I used in that alley, they happened without me thinking on them. They were instinctual in all honesty. The lady gave me a option on a small chance so, I'm trying to take it."

A bony shrug left him as he stood there. Not really sure how to plead his case to this woman. Yes, he knew how...horrid he looked. But that wasn't his fault, it was those assholes. Course, he chuckled at the sandwhich comment.

"Been a long time since I probably made one of those, not sure....memory is horribly fuzzy super far back." Afton said, putting a hand to his forehead.

"Good for you, no point in dwellin on the past.... or on marbles... or physical things, personal connections...." Uso trailed off a bit, pausing for a moment before continuing, "...sooo.... you got any Sandwhich ideas then? We can go get food right now. And by 'Can go get food' I mean, 'Seriously lets get you a sandwhich,'" Wasting no time, Uso would head for the door in search of sandwhich materials.

Uso might've observed that the man's poster started to loose it's straightness, he kind of started to hunch forward a little before he forced himself straight again. Only for his head to tilt to the left due to how heavy the horns were. He was still getting used to these things.

"Pardon?" Afton questioned, picking his head back up and watching her go to the door.

Confused and not really sure on what the hell was happening, Afton slowly followed after her. It took him a few long steps to catch up to her but he managed and gave his puzzled expression to her with just the one eye.

"Is this...how meetings are handled now an days?" Afton questioned, or did she just have a few marbles of her own loose?

"Yes." Uso said, heading towards the ship's kitchen. It wasn't the most well stocked of things, but it did have plenty of sandwhich materials in stasis.

"You a bread guy?" Uso asked, there were stasis-enabled storage areas along the wall, sleek, smooth, metal doors covering them. Uso would open one up, and pull out some breads... a generic set of sliced whitebread as well as some single loafs of less easily identifyable choices.

"For a moment, it seemed like some of your marbles were lost." Afton commented as he followed along.

Sandwhiches, he never had one of those in that asylum. Putting a hand to his fuzzy feeling mind, he tried to recall something. Anything of some semblence of normal or toward the situation at hand to help him out. Sadly, he ended up shaking his head as he couldn't recall it.

"Not sure...too foggy and can't find the right marbles..." Afton muttered, glancing away from her. "Though, bits of bread were fine. The lady shared some of her's when she found my crash site."

That was true, they weren't full on loaves. But they were small bits of bread that he ate as quickly as he could. He remembered swallowing large mouthfulls of it at the time without even chewing it that well out of sheer desperation; and not wanting the food to disappear by interfering forces. Shaking his head, he pushed the odder thoughts away and glanced back at Uso.

"I guess....bread would work here." Afton answered.

"Take what you can get huh? I'm ambitous... you see this?" Uso said, holding up a round loaf, "This has got nuts and fruit baked in, with a little bit of cheese along the top. Shit's turnt... which I think the kids say all the time... anyways, enjoy your white bread. Do what you will with it." Uso tossed over the sliced white bread, and then tossed her loaf over towards the nearest table.

"What about lunch meats? Or are you not a meat person?"

"Hardly got any food in that place, you learn to eat the slop you're given if you want anything to calm the void that becomes your stomach." Afton replied.

Tilting his head at the loaf she was showing him, he listened to her. Nuts and fruits? Interesting sounding, part of him wondered if he ever ate something like that in his past. With the silces of white bread given to him, he glanced down at them. Pondering on what he could do with em. He did glance up though a pondering expression came to his face. He was trying to so hard!!! He wanted to give a normal answer, a yes or no answer. Closing his eye, he gave a frustrated growl.

"Don't remember...." He muttered more displeased with himself than the question he had been given. "No harm in using it though, truth be told. The slices of bread is more than what I usually got in that place."

"People's eating and buying habits tend to change based on their position in life. I'd have expected the 'beaten dog' looking you to just scarf down whatever was given to you. Fear of food being taken and all... at some point you're doing well enough to take your time and eat.... if you're well off enough you start worrying about getting good food... then weird food. 'Course if you're doing really well for yourself you're looking to eat quickly not because you don't have the time... but because your time becomes super valuble. Not that any of that really helps you... so I'm going to move on witht his bit...." Uso would get meats, cheeses, and vegtables out of stasis and set them out on the table, cutting her loaf into slices, then using two of those slices to hold a growing stack of meat, cheese, and mustard.

"'Course, I'm a super-soldier-type... which means I need a stupid number of calories. You could feed a few families on what I eat... assuming... you know... they could eat metals and stuff. Make yourself something."

"Was in a hospital for a few weeks...got that hunger issue slightly under control though....the whole getting food thing during the meeting threw me for a loop so...I'm just...trying to appear as some semblence of normal. Doesn't mean I'm gonna be able to withstand eating in a room full of people." Afton replied, glancing away as she stacked up her sandwhich.

Granted, he had been rendered unconcious those few weeks for most of it. But they didn't skip any food. He ate actual meals, meals that he somehow managed to keep down in his stomach despite over doing it and eating super fast; there was at least two moments he almost threw up during one of the first meals. With all the food around him, it was tempting and he shuffled a little aware from Uso so nothing would get stirred up. Course, he went silent as he started to just grab random things and make his own sandwhich. He didn't really know what he was grabbing or what he was building. It was just two slices of bread with different cheeses and a few meats in the middle. Though he did snatch one of the slices from that Shit's Turnt loaf and stuck it in the middle of it all.

The sandwhich wasn't as big as Uso's not even half the size of it. But he did sit down in a corner with it on the plate and put his back to her slightly. Well she was right, beaten dog look did have him more defense around food. As he was used to being in his own cell and all. He had scarfed down the food that Sasha gave him with her in front of him. It took some coaxing and for hunger to get worse before he gave into her. So with his back to Uso in his own food defensive way, he took a bite out of the 'thing' he made. He wasn't observing any flavors, just trying to chew the large mouthful he had taken due to the amount of stuff.

Uso nodded approvingly, "Looks like you're bouncing back well then. We got some rooms in Nath tower you can use to stay at... but uh, what's next for you Mr......"

"Nothing is next to my knowledge." Afton replied, having managed to swollow the bite. "Afton Hiles, I said it in there earlier. At least...i think I did."

Giving a shrug, he took another bite. Though, hadn't he also said that he was here for a job? Or trying to? Hard to recall.

"Got nothing to do and nowhere to go, the lady gave me one direction for a possible chance. NOt sure what job I could do though." he added.

"Well, what can you do?" Uso asked.

"Subconcious things apparantly, involving fighting and restraint it seems. But, I didn't do them thinking em. It just...happened." Afton replied, taking another bite from his sandwhich as he sat there.

"So fighting, but only when you're not thinking about it?" Uso asked.

"Seems so." Afton replied. "Can't recall things about my past, so who knows what I used to do before all of this happened."

"Then there's got to be something else you're... you know, interestedin," Uso asked, watching Afteon eat while leaving her own sandwhich untouched.

The man would go quiet for a few minutes, idly chewing on the sandwhich before swallowing. Clearly putting some thought into this. Alas, his loose marbles weren't even sure on what else there was to do. A weak chuckle left him at the thought of him being able to do much; outside of scaring people.

"What is there for a lab rat to do?" Afton questioned, not taking another bite of his sandwhich though.

"Uh... cheese.... and uh... mazes?" Uso asked, "Not that we'd put you in a giant maze... unless you could think of a good reason for us to have one of those? I wonder if we could charge people to put them in a maze...."

A chuckle left Afton as he put his face in his right hand. Oh that was lovely. Just confined to another torture chamber then.

"No thanks on that one....as much of a lab rat I've become, all my marbles will probably be lost. Then there'll be trouble due to it." Afton commented.

He still wasn't looking at Uso, just sitting there in his corner. Not sure on if this was a wise idea anymore.

"you seem to put a premium ont hese marbles. Do we need to go get you new marbles? Kinda... fufilling needs and wants is the name of the game around here." Uso explained.

The man leaned backward and ended up on his back, his one eye looking at Uso while their sandwhich just sat on his chest. He stard at her with a narrowed gaze.

"Do you know what marbles are? There was this one man who didn't know what marbles were. How strange...to not know about the little balls of glass rattling around yer brain with something precious inside their cores." Afton commented.

"Its a euphamism, don't ready too much into it. There is a thing you need, and we need to match you up with someone that can provide." Uso responded.

Pushing himself up quickly, he caught his sandwhich quickly enough to where it's contents didn't spill or land on the floor. He spun round to stare at her.

"I need my mind bacK!!!" Afton replied in the easiest most normal way possibly. "All the marbles lost aren't helping me. So much is lost..."

"Where did you leave it last?" Uso asked, "... or uh... What do you remember? We can poke around the edges until we find what we're looking for."

"In THAT place!" Afton hissed, looking away from her slightly. "Everything was lost there. My mind and past, everything lost and turned into a twisted lab rat...needle and thread, burning flesh and sewing..."

He put his hands against his head, shaking as he sat there. His sandwhich was set in his lap as he sat there. Clealry, this wasn't a good subject for the tormented man.

"We can un-sew stuff you know," Uso said, reaching for her sandwhich and taking a bite, "You can just drop your past and be whatever you want to be going forward. Nothing to tie you down... sky's the limit and all that."

Everything huh? What did he truly want? Some part of him told him that it was important, he wasn't suppose to be in that place. But why? Why did he know this? He knew that from day one it seemed, even when all his other memories faded. He still remembered this one rather important thing. Staring down at the ground, he sat there shaking.

"I just.....something important. I've known for a long time, that...that I wasn't suppose to be there. But I don't know why!!" Afton hissed. "My mind's the worse thing...shattered and broken...it's the worse thing.."

"Sleep on it then. You're in no rush and have plenty of time. You'll need to figure out what you want to do with yourself, but you don't need an answer right this instant."

"i want...to be normal." Afton replied. "My mind isn't normal...I need that...to be whatever it once was."

"No goin back. That's now how this works. Always Forward and Out!" Uso responded, "Sure we can always cut to a training montage and make you some kinda badass... revenge... getter... or whatever, but the past isn't something I'm super into."

"So i stay with loose marbles? Getting my mind normal again would be going backwards after all...fixing all these would be backwards..." Afton retorted, a displeased chuckle leaving him as he sat there. "Should've figured...."

"What do you imagine your best self would be?" Uso asked, cutting right past quite a few conversations to get to her point, her datapad beeping right as she finished speaking, "Hey, you know what? Lets go for a drive... I got a thing to go to..." Uso would head right for the door, and motion for Afton to follow her. "... you can bring the sandwhich."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back