• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Mecha

A bit out of my price range, but cool! Imagine the attention it would get at conventions!

Technically, if we're making human-piloting mechs now as art / toys for the rich, we're only a few steps closer to actually applying such things to warfare.

I know the exo skeleton movement was big a few years back but I can say that we aren't anywhere close to fielding this in the US. Not because we can't afford it or can't develop it, but for the sheer fact we don't have a need for it. The complexity as well is a prohibiting factor.

Just sayin', where there's the will, there's a way. And lots of people can argue that spending the money to send a robot to Mars is frivolous and pointless when one examines the global financial situation. I'm not but the argument isn't a difficult one to make.

EDIT: But as you imply, that is a digression from the topic.

If Americans stopped smoking for a year, they'd have five times NASA's 2011 budget! In fact, the US Military spends more on air conditioning than the space program gets. NASA's budget is already tiny for what it accomplishes, and despite the hundreds of technologies we enjoy daily that were invented or developed by NASA, attacking NASA has become fashionable for anti-science political groups, and it angers me to no end. Even if NASA was entirely defunded, the money saved is a tiny fraction of the budget and would not be enough to have any significant effect on the nation's finances.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back