• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Life Events Medical Hiatus

FrostJaeger

Chief Parakeet
Banned Member
Just a heads-up, everyone: I'm going to be going on a two-week medical hiatus, as I lost about a centimeter of my left pinky finger to a circular meat slicer on Sarurday thanks to getting distracted while working with said slicer.

I can still type on my phone, however anything over a couple sentences begins hurting; as for typing on a computer, well, it started hurting after a single sentence. Fortunately, I can still write with my other hand - so expect a lot of activity when I return. :3

acdn.discordapp.com_attachments_351067125340831764_372068803665723403_image.jpg

I'm shocked.

My initial thought was "They can't graft it back?" but I suppose the venue and the tool employed might have resulted in what was lost being in an unrecoverable condition.

Saying "I hope you get better" seems off too. That's something that can heal, but won't ever 'get better'.

All I can wish you is a speedy recovery. May dreams of birbs support you during this time of hardship.

I was so saddened to hear this news, Frost. As a former deli worker, I had a VERY close encounter with said types of slicers on two occasions but thankfully it never took off more than the surface layer of skin on my pinky and ring finger. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you recover, and arise like an Elysian angel! :)

Ouch. Depending on where it got cut it is possible it could grow back (not guaranteed) because the base of your fingernails are one of the few places where cells that regenerate hang out. Would post some sources but I'm still at work and busy. Also in the meantime you might be able to use dictation software to convert speech to text, although good luck teaching your software to spell Mishhuvurthyar and Nekovalkyrja.

TIL: Frost is actually in the yakuza.

But for real, hope it's not the worst and doesn't cause too much of a distraction to your life!

Whoa, that's a shocker... Well, good job taking it in your stride I guess, Frosty. That 'phantom limb' stuff is bound to get weird. :eek:

Thanks for giving us the heads up.

Oh nononononono - the finger and fingernail are both fine; I'm just missing about a centimeter or so from the side of said finger. The "cut" itself isn't very deep, either - just a millimeter or two.

Depending on what the doctor says tomorrow, I might be able to fully utilize my left hand again - meaning I'll be able to start roleplaying and wiki-ing; additionally, next Thursday I - after getting my weekly paycheck - should also have enough money saved up ($420 to $450) to purchase a new laptop. :D

Got some good-ish news and some good news. Firstly, my body has finally gotten started generating new layers of skin to replace what's missing from my pinky - but as it's only managed to grow the first couple of layers, the finger is still very, very tender (and thus of limited utility in typing). Nevertheless, tomorrow morning I'm going to start working on a GM post (@META_mahn) and an Elysian news post tomorrow morning. :3

Secondly, I did a bit of price-checking today - and there's a good chance I'll be getting my laptop this Thursday. :D

RPG-D RPGfix
Back