• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Member-Submitted Playable Factions / Submissions Forum

Hey Star Army,

Due to recent events, it's clear we need to come up with a smoother process for integrating people's ideas into the setting. I will be working on new rules for how to submit a new faction that are aimed to avoid confusion and negativity. In the meantime, I am temporarily placing a hold on all member-submitted playable factions; we will not accept any more until further notice. When we start accepting them again there's going to be clear requirements for them. I will also be looking at how to continue to make the submissions process friendlier.

I'm gonna be real with you, people are leaving the site because of the submissions forum is a toxic dogpile of rude people shitting on other people's imaginations, and it's not cool and makes me sad, and we need to fix it to keeping Star Army growing. We need to unfuck the situation.

Now there's only so much I can do by updating the submission rules, because when it comes to the emotional experience people have when submitting stuff, it's about the people interacting with each other more than the rules. The guide to reviewing submissions literally tells people to be friendly and helpful but it can't make people be those things. So we need to deal with the people situation too.

@Alex Hart (mecha meme): You've been super rude both to submitters and to the staff (Ame in particular) and seem to be a constant source of complaints sent to me by submitters, my staffers, and even the guy who just left last night...these have piled up for months while I've been busy, and I've tried to talk to you privately about this on Discord but it hasn't worked out. So I'm just going to put it here so everyone can see it's being addressed. Your services as reviewer are no longer required. You are also restricted from holding any FM position. I can't have people represent my site who are acting like this to people. We'll talk more privately.

@ everyone else: If you think you can do a better job of reviewing submissions, I'm accepting applications.

Wes' proposals work for this oldbie. They pose a significant enough barrier while giving people a chance to create their own entirely unique creation.

Also, no hard feelings, @IQ. You've had rough times, and I don't mean to diminish them. I don't speak as a Yamataian supremacist, just as an oldbie who's seen a lot come and go.

My proposal for "no new factions" was to ensure that possibility was entered into the conversation. My further reflections were to point out just how hard it is to get this right, and how it hasn't ever been done terribly well over the years -- for a whole host of reasons.

My words can come with all the salt of my reputation, history, whatever opinions you've got of me. Just ... be careful about this pursuit. It's clearly roiled the site before, and it easily could do so again.

Mercenaries can already happen -- Nepleslia has been a bed for them for a very long time. Contact me or one of my Co-FMs for more details if you want but this has been and will always be a component Nepleslia keeps open. Yamataians leaving to incorporate their mercenary organization in Nepleslia also has precedence -- see Ronin as one of the more recent cases of this (I did it 5ever ago for Shinpi) as well as groups with Yamataians that are mercenary coalitions.

It's almost 4 AM so sorry if this is a bit "out there" in the context but I figured I'd reply to this concern/point addressed that seemingly went unresponded to.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back