• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission Mining Guild's System Draco Eridanus System

Charaa

Staff Member
🎨 Media Gallery
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=starsystem:asteroid_field
List Any Unapproved Sub-Articles
Submission Faction(s)
  1. NDC
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
alright, here it is, my final submission for my corp. I wasn't sure if Space stations and shipyards had to be submitted separately or not, my apologies my brain farted.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
These need another pass for run on sentences, and minor grammar. However these are looking better and better everytime I see something new from you in the NTSE. That being said, I do have one request though, and just a request at that. Maybe add a BWE store on the station too, as well as any other NDC things that could be thrown in if possible. Just looking to see that our wiki stuff is used across all the faction's associated assets as much as reasonably possible.

ndc_fancy_seal_-_fm_approval_version.png

Alright, so I went over it all to try and make corrections in terms of run ons sentences and minor grammar, but it’s possible, because of my brain farting, I didn’t correct something that might have looked good for me, but wasn’t good. I’m still willing to work with if these are pointed out.

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki-style guidelines, including No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Approved!

I found one issue in the checklist while reviewing the article, but I fixed it as I went. Your new URL is https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=system:draco_eridanus. You can find examples of other systems here, including your own now that it's in the right name space and such. :)

The sub-articles don't appear to be breaking any rules, but could use a grammar/etc pass before they could be approved. Doesn't hold this article back. :)

Thanks!

Hey, sorry to resurrect this thread, but there's a few things I wanted to talk about getting shipshape with the station article.

Over the past few years it's gotten a number of updates, and I feel like a few things bear being double-checked and making sure that everything's still on the level and meets site standards and whatnot.

The first thing that I think might need to be double-checked is the maximum population of the station, as I'm not sure that 80 million people can fit in a station this size since even much larger stations can't hold that many.

The second thing that might need checking is the initial immigrant population for the station. At the time it was built there weren't even 4 million people living in the NDC, so that doesn't really make much sense to me. Finally, there's the population growth rate. Right now it seems to be measured in births/1000 people/day which isn't really how things normally work, and in a year the station would overflow, not to mention the fact that it just doesn't seem to make sense.

If I were to make a few suggestions, I think that it might make sense given the station's current size to cut the maximum population of the station down to something like 500,000-1 million people total (Based on a comparison to an Iori class star fortress.) and the initial immigrant population to about 250,000-400,000 people. Additionally, the population growth statistic would probably need to be re-calculated.

I do not believe this thread needs to be resurrected as it’s been approved already and some updates are fine without the need for approval, the only thing that would be needed is if I changed the shield life support, and so on, which I hadn’t. As such, they do in fact meet site standards.

Some updates I had done recently in terms of street stations and so on, were to make the city part seem like a proper city, which should have places like that, and I should have done it sooner. Again, no approvals are needed.

I am concerned based on my impression that Alex hasn’t actually read the page, otherwise, he’d have noticed that there are mentions of hotels, penthouse apartments, Apartments, suburban houses, and I’d assume townhouses though I don’t recall adding those to it. Those buildings tend to house lots of people, furthermore, there are people called twins, triplets, quadruplets, and octuplets {spell check may be needed] Not to mention, that Separa’shan hatchlings generally are in threes, and sometimes Elysians are in 2s as well. Certain Anthros that were uplifted might still have their previous state’s birthrate so well.

DracoTown, which is the name of the city part of Station Omacron, is meant to be a city, in fact, the capital of the system. Of course, there will be a lot of people, and with the housing and the size there is room.

If Wes wants me to make the City part into a separate page without the worry of approval, I’ll do it, but I am not going through another approval process for something that’s already been approved.

It seems like the main thing Alex has a concern with is just the numerical values for the population and population growth, not anything about the essence of the city or station itself. Let's try to solve this simply and without getting personal. It sounds like if you were willing to reduce some of the numbers and leave the rest of the article the same he'd be fine with that. Is that right, @Alex Hart ? If so, why don't you suggest some more suitable/reasonable numbers for the population and see what Charaa thinks? And Charaa: If the only change that is required is lowering some of the pop number stats, would that be okay if he provides a smaller number that's reasonable to you?

I have read the page, and I'm aware there's a city. The problem is that the city's inside a space station that's not large enough to hold 80,000,000 people.

An Iori class station, which is a bit larger, can hold about 500,000 people. Noval's Hibiscus, which is about the same size can hold 600,000. I think that given this information, it makes sense that the maximum population of this city might be around the same, in the 600,000-800,000 range. This would make it already tied with Dawn City, the second major city in the NDC.

In terms of the initial immegrant population, I don't think it would make sense to bring more than 250,000-300,000 people with you initially. The mining guild only has about 150,000 employees, and the non-employees would probably be family members of the employees who moved there. This also gives the station's population room to grow over time.

Speaking of that, I've explained that population growth is measured in births per 1000 people per year. This'd come out to about 4,625 births a year at the rate you provided, 18.5 births per 1000, which is a perfectly reasonable birthrate (a fair amount above the average in the US actually). I don't necessarily think that you need population growth statistics on this page, but if you want them that's what I think is right based on the math I'm aware of for measuring these statistics.

Making something 100 times its approved size is something that would definitely need re-approval from the NTSE. Besides that, it wouldn't solve any of the other mentioned issues.

Since there seems to be some question about how big the station is, I went through the old revisions: The canonical size of the station, at the time it was approved, is:

1644031040378.png
Source: MG-Y Habitat "Omacron" on Star Army Space Roleplay

It also says on the approved version of the article that the maximum capacity of this station is 2700 people.

Charaa, I'm not interested in "taking sides" on whatever this is between you guys but I need you to see that adding something to the setting, but then quietly and massively changing it to something completely different than what was approved is problematic. This is like if a city gave permission for someone to build a house and instead they built a stadium. I had no idea how much this was different until this discussion was opened.

I guess our options are:
  1. Revert to the approved version (not ideal because it looks like a lot of work has been done)
  2. Come up with some explanation for growth in RP/history and resubmit a new version that includes that
  3. Compromise somewhere in the middle and I could approve a retcon for it.

I've chosen to compromise, and i had set the population room to 900,000, I also dont know how you found that Wes since the old ones i found showed different numbers.

Sounds fine to me. Alex are you cool with that too (as FM)?

And can we set the dimensions to what they were at the time this new convo started? I'll approve the retcon to the 2500m long size you had.

Thanks Charaa (and Alex) for being willing to work with me and each other on getting this sorted.

And can we set the dimensions to what they were at the time this new convo started? I'll approve the retcon to the 2500m long size you had.
I'm okay with a retcon to the size, but there's a few points I'd like to bring up.

If you'd prefer to go to the version at the time the convo started, I personally stand by my analysis of around 500k or a bit more. That's still a huge amount of people for the station's volume, which is 8x less than an Iori. Most of those not wealthy enough to live in the suburb sections (probably something like 90%+ of the population) would be living in the SSCC apartments.

I think that to fit 900,000 people (BTW the article still says something like nine million seven hundred) you'd need to make the station a lot bigger, maybe 1.8x to 2x in all dimensions.

This leaves aside questions of initial immigration and population growth, which we still need to talk about.

I encourage you to just go with it, Alex. Charaa's already cut the numbers down a lot. Also it's unlikely to affect RP and I don't think we should spend too much time dwelling on this when we could be doing more productive stuff like posting.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back