• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: Yome Ismâopate [Mission 1.2] Whom fortune favors - Aftermath

Vakame Ruo'sa

With a small frown Memi stood up and left his sketch pad, which had a scribbled drawing of a Stako in a dark tunnel, with his satchel bag on the table where he had sat. He moved up to the rest of the Away team. though he tried to stay hidden behind the rest of them, he was worried. Though he couldn't place exactly what it was that was worrying him.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Seeing that the last of the Sâvyjo were assembled, Qaedal strode in. He took a position in front of them. Once there Toidorno moved and stood to his left and half a step behind.

"I thank those of you who were able to come and attend this gathering. To be honest I was not expecting to be honoring these Sâvyjo quite so soon. Our visit to Âmuar was only intended to be an opportunity for some training, and for the crew to familiarize themselves with the newest Stako that are available.

However, fortune it would seem had other plans. For those who have not yet heard the story I will summarize. These four were sent to checking an installation built by the Siama'bu Soujo. The rest of the group was going to the other side of the installation to investigate. Our Tin-To'a appointed Sâvyjo Aaeas to lead the group. He has done so in a fashion that was beyond expectations. After allowing Sâvyjo Whisk to use her training to ensure their path was clear, he requested that she use her ability with Vit'taka to scan the area. Sar Whisk leaned that there were still Siama'bu Soujo.

Sar Aaeas then found himself with a dilemma. He was unable to contact the Yome, and could not reach the Tin-To'a and the rest of the group. He convinced his fellow clan members to go into the structure to make their way to the others.

Their group encountered a number of various types of Siama'bu Soujo. Working together as a cohesive team. They persevered. Even our Kynlumu'a got his claws blooded. Who knows perhaps he has the makings of a Warrior Chronicler.

It is therefore my great pleasure to report that all four of them have been awarded Afirmui Gely Fau a-te, to be worn with honor. Also they are no longer Sâvyjo. They are after discussion with our Tin-To's promoted to the rank of Sâvyjo'sa. They also receive a share worth 1000 gold OW.

Please take a moment take after the presentation to enjoy the food provided and to congratulate our newest Sâvyjo'sa."

Qaedal walked over to Memi first and replaced his rank with the new one. "Well done Memi Sotar, your Ruoka and Punla I am sure will be pleased with this development." He gave a slight bow to the Kynlumu'a.

He repeated the same with Murr Whisk, and La'tâ Qoji. When he came to Keyul, "You have done well my Apaloa." he said and gave the same curt bown.

Moving along with Qaedal, Toidorno offered each of them his congratulations. Once completed Toidorno said, "Let the celebrating commence."

Ra'alu Ruo'sa

Tigar watched Syaboa. "Weapons are useful tools, and help us perform our duties to protect our crew, ship and clan. But you should also consider spending some time getting to know the crew as people." He said and closed the folder in front of him.

"For this upcoming mission, you will want to familiarize yourself with the new Anoka'ano Dahome. We do not expect conflict, but the Tin-To'a has decided that all personnel participating in EVA to the other ship will be wearing one. We do not anticipate combat, so your role as body guard will be to protect Sar Sotar from any hazards aboard the ship. Questions?"

Vakame Ruo'sa

La'tâ was surprised to hear that they were receiving such commendation, she didn't even care that some of the details of the story were not totally accurate, Murr and herself were Tula after all it was much better to promote Keyul's exploits. Still she was only expecting a medal ceremony but here they were receiving a promotion as well. For a moment even the rather stoic Tula had a look of surprise on her face.

When Qaedal stepped in front of her however she quickly straightened up and went back to her usual expression bowing lightly after receiving the new rank "It is an honor and I shall continue to serve to the best of my ability Sar."

Vakame Ruo'sa
Murr moved to join the others when they fell into formation, taking her usual spot in the line-up. She stood at attention. She listened to the speech of giving them honor and then the promotion. She blinked in surprise and couldn't stop the soft purr that emminated from her when Qaedel pinned the new rank on her.

She nodded in respect with a bobble of a curtsy. She would've said something similiar to what La'ta had spoken if she could speak. But her actions on the mission had said it all for her and her heighten performance back on the ship. She was more accepted by them by her performance, even though there were a few that probaly thought she should be back on the home farm.

She would complete her required military service as expected of her to perform. She knew she was exempt from serving by her handicap, but she still stepped forward and here she was. This was validating her worth to the team and her ship she was assigned to despite her handicap of being mute.

Ra'alu Ruo'sa

Syaboa looked at Tigar and smiled "I have no questions, all you need to do with me is tell me who to protect and where we are going and I shall follow" she looked at Tigar "that is all I have ever needed, I hope it is satisfactory for you."

~~Vakame Ruo'sa~~

Memi, couldn't hide up front, expectedly when he was referenced and pointed out. It caused him to blush under his fur and the hairs on his neck stand up a bit. He was embarrassed over the whole situation. He was an intelligent being, from a Juel that believed in the use of the brain and the knowledge to bring the race out of the jungles. And here he was being rewarded for falling back to the savage side of himself.

Politely bowing He forced a smile on his face and thanked the Tin-Ta'a. Once he was dismissed to the celebration, the book smith moved back to his bag and sketch book. Dropping into his seat he frowned for a moment before removing his old rank and putting the new badge on. Though the award medal was tossed to the bottom of his satchel bad, he wouldn't wear it unless it was a situation he couldn't not wear it. Being civilized did have a few limits, and decorum and politeness was one of them.

With another sigh he pulled his book back out and went to work on drawing out the four them standing before the Tin-Ta'a, though his initial sketches showed him being a bit more generic and less of him self.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Keyul walked to the back of the room and got a small plate and put a few tasty morsels on it. He was particularly fond of the meat rolls. He noticed that Memi had not come to the food so he grabbed a couple of Damuisa. He walked over and took a seat next to Memi.

He held out one of the cans of Damuisa. "Here thought you could use a drink." He said with a smile, he took a quick look at the image that Memi was working on. "Nice drawing, you captured the others well. But the drawing of you does not look much like you. I thought as a Kynlumu'a you were supposed to make accurate records of events."

Ra'alu Ruo'sa
"Just do your job well, give your all to the ship and we will get along just fine. I suggest to you relax and get something to eat. Once we get to the distress point, your name will be called for the away team." Tigar
said.

Last edited:
Vakame Ruo'sa

Memi looked up at Keyul, "Thank you..." he took the can and set it off to the side. Looking down at the drawing he had been working on he shrugged. "We are also suppose to remain as observers, and use our minds over our claws." He frowned for a moment and continued drawing. After a few moments he spoke softly. "You want my share of the reward?"

Vakame Ruo'sa

"No my friend, you earned every OW that you received. You can tithe some of it your your Jael, and give some to your family. The rest I would say keep so that you can stay supplied with art supplies and such." Keyul said with a smile, and put a hand on Memi's closest shoulder. "My friend, we strive to use our minds over our claws. But when it comes down to a battle to survive. Sometimes claws are the right solution. I have to admit, even though you did not want to go into the structure with us. You persevered and helped when you could. You are out in the real world Memi, and I can say its a lot scarier that I was expecting. But we have one thing going for us. We have each other, everyone of us has skills and abilities. Together we are stronger for those and our differences. But from this day on, you and the rest of us have to make decisions. What kind of person am I. What kind of person do I want to be. How can I best help my friends. Those are questions that only you can answer for yours. Our Jaeli give us a good set of paradigms to live by. But as we mature we make our own with those as the basis.

I can see you have some troubling thoughts, so I will let you be. I need to get to the temple anyway. But I am proud to call you a friend and pledge to have your back whenever you need me."

He stood up and placed a second can of the Damuisa next to Memi and walked across the room to the entrance.

Vakame Ruo'sa

La'tâ did not take long after the presentation before she was at the carts getting herself some food. She had a considerable amount of food on her plate. The young Tula had dealt with possibly the most stressful situation of her life and not on a full stomach, she had long since burned through her energy and the only thing that kept her stomach from sounding like a beast of the jungle was serious training to stay out of attention, and will power.

She found a place near those that she knew to sit down taking as few sips from a cup of hot yâty before starting to eat. Keyul's words to Memi caught her attention and she listened to them when Keyul decided to leave La'tâ wandered over and sat down beside Memi. "Memi-Sar. You worry about your involvement in the battle? If you were not there I am certain that we would not have made it out. Though your actions were not how you wanted them to be they did result in creating opportunities in battle." She took a drank of her tea and looked to him with a warm smile. "And though I do not wish to sound like I am belittling the Kyn Lumu'ai Jael, if all ones does is observe and not act, stress and guilt could pile up, and that wonderful mind of yours would begin to waste away."

Ra'alu Ruo'sa -> Vakame Ruo'sa

Syaboa bowed to Tigar "okay and thank you, I have dedicate my life to the safety of all in the clan" she left the Ra'alu Ruo'sa and had a little walk around the ship then went to Vakame Ruo'sa and smiled as she saw everyone "hello, guessing this is were everyone has been" she looked over the crew and felt like she was in the right place.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Murr moved with her usual grace as she helped herself to the food offered. But scince she had already met her needs of energy replacement earlier. She sat back and listened to Memi and Keyul. Then La'ta. She wanted to approach Memi and give him a pat on the back for the job he did, letting him know that he did good and had nothing to be ashamed of. But if Memi wanted to talk to her. She would listen. In her eyes, He was the bravest of them all when he flung himself on the Defiler Ripper (at least from her perspective). She sat at her table nearby and consumed her food. Letting Memi know in her silent manner that he was free to approach her. She was there for him if he wanted to just talk. Rant and rave about the mission or life in general.

She slowly consumed her choice of refreshments as Syaboa entered. She smiled at Syaboa and gave a wave to her. She was trying not to preen to show off her new rankings, but it couldn't be helped. This was hard won and to be charished.

As she ate, Murr composed a letter to her parents and family-kin. Letting them know of the teams exploits along with her's and her promotion. Like all good war stories, enemy was always superior in number and skill. But through the team's diligence and teamwork. Plus the smiling of Siama Ryu upon them that they preserved with the timely showing up of the rest of ship's compliments downplayed a just a little.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Memi Tensed up, there were so many people right around him. Instead of speaking, he reached out and slid one of the cans of Damuisa over to La'tâ . He slowly sat up and closed his sketch book. he wasn't going to be able to get anymore done on it with everyone coming over. It was also a good delaying tactic so he could come up with the right words to use. Writing was so much easier then talking, you had time to think between each word, so that it would be precisely the right one. Talking was far to quick.

"I do not feel, uhh guilt, for my actions. I uhh, feel regret for how my uhh actions, no... umm... Where my actions... uhh came from." He really wished he would have paid more attention to the speech class he had to take at one point of his education.

La'tâ noted the hesitation in his words but let him continue, only nodding and replying a small thank you prior, when he offered her the drink. Once he did finish she gave him a moment to say more if he wanted before replying. "You do not like the side of you that is aggressive and wild?"

With a small twitch to his eye, Memi was a bit put off with how easily La'tâ saw through him. "Yes.. It does bother me. Quite a bit. We are beings at the... uhh edge? No.. Border would be a better word, between beasts and beings of intelligence. Fighting to protect, That is... fine, uhh Noble even. But loosing yourself in it, now that is the issue." Memi paused and thought throw what he was trying to say. It was upsetting that he allowed himself to become an animal. The irony of them being in highly advanced machines, when it happened caused him to lightly chuckle.

The young Tula female nodded in reply and looked down at her drink for a moment before looking up. "Hmm saying we are at the border..that is a poetic way to put it, I like it. But Memi Sar, was that perhaps your first time in live combat?"

"It was... But that doesn't matter, I failed to uphold my Jael's believes, and in turn I failed my Ruoka by doing so and not living up to the path I was sent on." Memi frowned and opened the sketchbook, slowly turning the pages, first a sketch of the Tin-Ta'a giving the oath, then a sketch of the meeting in the temple. Turning the pages there were drawings of almost everyone who were in the temple, each caught in thought or leaning in listening. Lastly there were the two sketches, one of the Stako they had piloted, and then the five of them up getting their awards and praises.

"This is my duty..."

"These are wonderful pictures" Spoke La'tâ as she looked at each one as Memi went through them. "It looks to me as if you still completed your duty." She gives him a soft smile "You also had cameras recording right? I am sure there are some scenes you could only get because you participated." She then pauses a moment and looks him in the eyes, her tone shifting to a bit more serious. "Would you like to know a secret?"

"I record everything, As it is I forgot to bring my recorders here... So I'll have to try to get the feeds from the ship's systems, and try to remember what everything was said." He frowned again, combat was so damned distracting.

"What's that?"

She took a moment herself to think about how to be concise with her words and still make sense with what she was about to say. "I am an Obekâ'a, a retainer. Well at least I will be when I find a master. I was trained to keep a level head and to stay calm at all times. But I could not hold back my fear, my hands were shaking, and I said many things not appropriate for honorable speech. There were even times where I thought about running away, and even now I fear when I will be asked to step out of the ship for combat once more."

With a nod Memi listened, "Fear is fine... Why be upset by it. Did you let it rule you? Like frightened prey?"

"You and I are different there though Memi Sar. Even if your fear consumed you like you say. You fought, your instincts lead you to defeat the threat before you. That makes you much braver than I, who's instincts told me to run, and only stayed because of my reason."

"I tripped fell, panicked and thrashed about." Memi frowned and stuffed his sketch book into his bag and made to stand up and leave.

"Did you try to run away though Memi Sar?"

"I couldn't... but you weren't trapped nor ever in a position that you couldn't get away, and yet you stayed, you didn't fail you stood firm and moved forward."

"You did not fail either, In the end you did not run either, even if you were stuck or trapped, there were plenty of chances when you weren't. No one is expected to be a perfect soldier at the start. I can help you suppress your fear, but the first step is not being ashamed of it."

"but fear wasn't what I was ashamed of... i have read many accounts of warriors in the heat of battle succumbing to fear, it is a fact of existing as intelligent beings. To attempt to safeguard ones life is one of the largest drives a being feels. Over time we have forged that feeling towards the group and the civilization after that. We believe now that sacrificing a limb, or a body of troops to protect the whole is acceptable, as long as the civilization survives. And this is how it should be." Memi didn't realize it but he had started quoting a treaty on combat and philosophy that he had read as a young kid in the great libraries.

"Fear for oneself is still a drive that propels us forward. It is why we bred and set forth the next generation, we feel there is a chance we will go on through them." Memi caught himself now and realized what he was saying. "We... we uhh all feel it, it is as... errr. natural as breathing. It'll... ummm tell you what the animal inside wants... but just because one is frenzy and the other is flight, doesn't make either better, allowing yourself to be.. uuuhhh.. ruled by it, that is failure."

"It is as you said Memi Sar, it tells you what the inside wants." She did not stand up and simply remained seated even now. "My mother or father would probably have more eloquent words to say...But being 'ruled' by emotions like fear is that not a protection for the side of you that is not wild and fierce? I do not think living your life in fear would be appropriate, but to say that it was wrong to be taken in by fear in that situation is to say that you should have been prepared for it. But no one was prepared, no one know we would even encounter defilers, let alone so many. Thanks to that fear taking over, you have come back unharmed and the defilers have been removed." She took a moment to ponder her words and then nodded to herself.

"Maybe the only difference between being ruled by fear and not is whether or not you make use of the fear or if you simply hide from it. And I'm sure next time you will have a better grasp on it."

"Maybe fear is just that, a defiler. The one that we were not ready for. We had the fire power to solve most of anything we would have encountered... but what fire power can you use to inwards?" Memi shook his head as if he was trying to knock something loose in it. "Come by my cabin later I have a scroll for you to study and meditate on..."

La'tâ was a bit taken back by him offering to give her a scroll, she was trying to help him but yet now he was doing something to help her. She did not let the confusion show on her face however. "I would be glad to accept it, I shall visit later than Memi Sar."

Memi smiled and sat back down. he opened the second can of Damuisa and took a sip. "As it is I need to figure out what to do with that damned reward." he rolled his eyes at the idea of it.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Syaboa smiled at Murr then sat by her "hello again Murr, do you think we have some time for you to teach me that sign language of yours, it seems really interesting" she noticed that Murr was writing a letter and looked down "sorry for disturbing you." she didn't like to interrupt people especially since it was to family, she cared for the bond between families and hated the idea she was disturbing someone from talking to their own family.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Murr saved the letter she was working on as she looked up at Syaboa. She nodded and tapped in commands bring up the holographic display of worked out positions of fingers and hand with letters of the alphabet underneath each illustration. Murr waved away the apology as she accepted it at the same time. And motioned for Syaboa to have a seat.

Murr typed a quick message to Syaboa, using one hand. :: I've sent this basic chart of hand and figure position to your message inbox :: Using her free hand, Murr did each letter she typed to let Syaboa see what it looked like in actual use. :: This is where your spelling must be accurate. Or use words that are easier to spell and still get your message across. ::

::There are hand and arm signals to convey entire words at once to save time. Once the letters is mastered. We can advance to word guestures. :: Murr looked up at Syaboa to see how she was reacting to this.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Syaboa looked at the hand gestures for letters and nods trying each one slowly making sure she had it before she tried it quickly and correctly, it took her a few minutes to get each letter but she finally does it then using her new sigh language said to Murr 'thank you, I believe I have it down now should we go on to the next stage' she smiled a bit thinking she had it down but there were a few tiny mistakes.

Keyul made his way back to his cabin. He wanted to spend some time reflecting on the recent events. He also needed to put the items he received away for safe keeping.

Once he had taken care of those details, he sat in his chair and thought. He was uncertain how to take Memi's attitude. He was familiar with Ruoka Sinloa. Especially because of its recent events. However, nothing he had heard conveyed the mindset that Memi had. Every living thing has an instinct to survive. Intellect and Instinct were not always mutually exclusive. After all a person's protective instinct could be to protect a person, an animal, or event a rare book because of its content. One should be grateful that they all had a strong survival instinct, without it they would have perished during the Norka.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Murr would gently reach out and if allowed made tiny correction to Syaboa's hand and finger positioning to the proper pose of them.. She smiled encouragement to Syaboa and nodded to Syaboa. She then tapped in commands to bring up an even bigger holo-display of hand signals that represent words. There was a few that were very popular and commonly used even by people that could speak.

Murr went through each of the hand signals for the word slowly so that Syaboa could follow along. While she was doing that, she sent the chart to Syaboa's message inbox so she could study and practice on her own. There was a lot of hand signal that were used in silent communication that were security/infantry job related. Plus tons more that were used in everyday communications between folks.

She would help Syaboa to get each correctly with gentle guidance to be clear of the signaled word that was being communicated silently through hand and arm motions. She could see that Syaboa was (hopefully) willing to learn as she was willing to teach.

Murr had pateince that sometimes defied logic when Syaboa got the word position wrong. There were some words that had to be spelled out by using the hand and fingers. Murr slowly edged away from typing to using hand signals to make things challenging to Syaboa.

Occasionaly she would take a drink or nibble on the food she had gotten for herself. Whether or not she was the first Mute to survive, She felt proud of the system of sign language she had created along with the help of her family, teachers, friends and acquaintances, perfecting the silent form of communication. Then came the jobs form of silent communication adding to the growing repitore of more signals that could be performed silently to get the message across to others.

Vakame Ruo'sa

Syaboa smiled as Murr taught her, this was something she was interested in and happy to learn it. As she kept getting it wrong she kept apologising to Murr knowing it must be annoying her, but she slowly got better at it and looked up at Murr as she was signing and tried to understand replying in signals back to her making sure she had it down before making the signal.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back