• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [Mission 2] - Choke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luca

The Ultimate Badass
🎖️ Game Master
Choke
You choke it but you know
It comes back when you're sleeping
Cuts you in the dark

Hybrid - Choke

There he was once again in a formless, shapeless void, lying face down upon a shard of a ship drifting across an inky black ocean of congealed blood while infinite stars and skulls and their eyeless sockets stared down into him. Luca rolled over and looked back up and frowned, he knew this place. He looked down at the piece of wreckage. It belonged to his own ship. He sighed as the half-prophetic reminder kept gnawing at his being.

As he was roused from sleep within sleep, the ocean began to become turbulent, but an uncanny thing happened, the wreckage he resided on never adhered to the motions of the waves, instead staying uncannily level as it rose and sunk with the water. A black wave washed over Luca and he found that there was a skeleton deposited on his little slice of livelihood. Who was it from though? It was someone he killed some time in his past, but he didn't have time to remember it all. They were obviously doing the wrong thing after all.

It tried to cling to him, but without muscle structure or cartilage, it's kind of ineffectual. Luca brushed the clinging skeleton aside, but more were starting to rise up out of the depths and onto his raft. The sheer numbers of them overwhelmed him and he found himself pinned to the deck by those who were taken by his hand. The ones who he'd killed a little more recently looked fresher, and they were staring eye to eye with him as the stench of decomposing flesh invaded his nose and the sounds of rubbing, rattling bones filled his ears.

But none of those mattered to him. He was content to let their jaws keep rattling and clacking asking for an answer he couldn't provide.

Suddenly a clump of skeletons were pulled away by a gigantic bloody red hand and Luca could see the stars again. And then he looked directly into her eyes. Those two brown eyes, just like her daughter's. He saw a toothy smile and grin as he saw those eyes brighter than the stars coming closer. The skeletons scattered back into the roiling waves and Luca was left alone with the titan, her hand reaching down to crush him.

He catapulted out of bed, breathing heavily and inspecting himself. He was still a Yamataian, he was still alive, he was in his bed on the Crimson Kestrel. He would've breathed a sigh of relief, but she was there standing at the foot of the bed covered head to toe in an ever-regenerating layer of blood. She took a step closer and put one of her knees on the bed. The white sheets started to turn crimson as she bled into them.

He backed up against the wall, trying to pull the sheets closer to him and get distance from her, but he was pulling her closer too. She started crawling across the bed like a sultry temptress, brown eyes standing out from the bloody red face still staring into him as she got closer and closer. He pulled the sheet over his eyes and hoped that she'd just go away and stop haunting him and let him, his crew and his daughter live in peace.

He felt the weight on his legs disappear. He drew the bed sheets down and looked around for her. His chest sunk as he breathed out, but he looked back down and found a head between his legs. Hers. Two arms then shot up and lodged themselves in his ribcage and pulled him beneath the bedding.

-

Then he really woke up, screaming, next to Zeta. The entire ship could hear it, and so could Sargasso.

Zeta immediately sat up in her bed, her eye wide open, scanning around and getting a grab of the situation. It was pretty clear, the shout, the look of Luca, completely covered in sweat and trembling. Zeta quickly shuffled towards him on the bed. She did not hug, since that could've startled him. Instead her fingers simply went and grabbed his, giving him warmth and telling him "I am here."

His hands were shaking as his breathing was deepening. His erratic breath was starting to slow down and rationalise what was happening. he did not grip Zeta back, not until he turned to look at Zeta, into her green eyes. His eyes looked bloodshot and red, he'd been sleeping, but unable to rest. He lurched over the bed and fell onto her with both arms, mewling meekly.

Zeta embraced him without even thought. It was a reflex, something natural as her arms wrapped around him. "Shhhh," she sounded off with her lips. "It is fine, I am here. I am here." She whispered as she cradled him, trying to calm him down.

The door to Luca's room slid open and there were two figures at the door. "Hey, Luca, what happened?" Zeta could recognise it as John's voice. The other figure standing at the door, backlit by the hallway lights was recognisable as Vita. "I could hear it from the bridge." Where he laid his head, even though the ship was still the ground.

"It was a dream I think, he is fine." Zeta said, still holding onto the man tightly. Luca was in a some kind of shock, which told the woman, that whatever he dreamed off, it must have been something really bad. "Let me talk to him," She said to John and Vita.

John nodded back at Zeta and left the doorway. "It's alright," he could be heard saying as he left. "It's under control." Vita, however, remained in the doorway, looking at the two of them even as the door closed. Luca lifted his head off of Zeta's bosom and touched his face. He appeared to pause for thought, and he clapped twice to turn the bedside lights on. There was blood on his face, around his damaged right eye, and on his hand. He whimpered in shock.

Seeing that Luca was starting to get the hang of himself again, Zeta slowly took his head into her palms, she looked down on the blood, looking at what happened. She assumed he burst a vein from the high pressure. Probably right in the eye-socket. Reaching for a paper hankie on a nightstand, she slowly and carefully started wiping the blood of his face.

"Shhhh, it is okay, I am here," She whispered to him, trying to anchor him back in reality. Nightmares could be real bad trouble and she knew it.

"What time is it?" he asked as he pushed the handkerchiefs to his eye, looking at Zeta with his good eye. Still as pristine and deep brown as the day she'd met him.

"Middle of the night," Zeta said without looking at the watches. No reason to, since it did not matter what time it was. "You just focus on me right now."

He sighed and lied back down in bed, looking up at the ceiling for a brief moment to count the panels before looking back at Zeta. "I'm worried. I'm worried about what we've gotten us into," he cracked his knuckles. "Those screams you heard yesterday from the cargo bay. You don't wanna know why."

"We are going to be okay." She simply said as she kept wiping the blood of his face. She was leaned forward above him. She gave him a faint re-assuring smile. "Darling it was just a bad dream. Don't let it set you off."

"I saw Naoko." He said, finally discussing the nightmare that'd rocked him so. "I saw her in Handler's Reach too, when my kidneys started hurting. She almost made me kill myself, said we should be together."

"It is your mind playing trick on you. Some part of you inside want you to blame yourself for all the bad that happened." Zeta said, as she tossed away the handkerchief. Her hand then went and set itself on his chest. She felt his heart beating. "That was not Naoko. That was just a phantom. A ghost from a past that your mind made up."

A phantom that he saw whenever he stared into her daughter's eyes for too long. "You're telling me. She wouldn't want me to die. Not her or Vita." He removed a tissue from his eye and noticed that he was no longer bleeding. It was starting to clot and heal. "I see her when... when I'm hurt, or when the pressure's really on. Just there, watching me until I stop, then she starts moving," he sighed again, the memory of her stabbing again, but hitting a stone heart and starting to blunt. "whispering madness into my head."

Zeta was a not a psychologist, she knew very little about it. She just knew how to be kind and how to be there for Luca. The man was strong, but even the strongest gets to bend their knees, when you pile too much things on their backs. This seemed to be the case. He needed to unload some of it, but Zeta could help him only little with that. She knew who could though, but that woman was back on Yamatai, living in a small house in Ralt.

"We all hear voices and get strange thoughts." Zeta said with sad tone of voice, as she laid down again and pressed her naked body against him. "When I lost my sisters and my arm, my would-be father tossed me out on the streets. There were quite a few times I was about to just give up. It seemed like it was over for me. Alpha went to the army, Beta got mixed into gangstery and I was there clueless and sad. I had no one and I was even losing myself."

Zeta sighed, reliving the old memory. Not the nice kind of memory. "Sooner or later this moment comes to anyone. I had it sooner, but now it is here for you as well. Don't focus on it. Don't listen to that phantom. Focus on Vita, on me and John. On your family and your crew. We are still here and we are with you."

"I think I've had one of those moments too many. Oh well, guess I'll overcome it," he then laid back down in bed, appearing calm now. "just like the others." He chuckled before shimmying closer to Zeta and leaning back into her side. Every now and again, when she could feel his bare skin, she could discover a little more scar tissue. Bullet wounds, knife wounds, all healed up from Yamataian healing factor - mostly.

"It is time Luca," Zeta said suddenly, her voice a bit more serious. "We need to go back to Yamatai. You need to see medical experts, only found in Yam hospitals. We both know it. Also... we need to go to Ralt. It has been too long."

He scratched his chin. "Huh. I was planning to go to Yamatai to shake a few trees and see what came falling out about Handler's Reach. Could get it done there while we're on break." He nodded at her.

"Speaking of which, what time is it, really?"

"No idea," Zeta shrugged, keeping herself against his body. "Does it matter?" He shrugged in reply, mumbling something indistinct in reply before nodding off to sleep. "Thought as much," Zeta grinned, putting her head on his shoulder.

-

THE NEXT MORNING...

Lounge, Crimson Kestrel

"You're up late." John pointed out as Luca walked into the room. He'd taken a moment to wash his face and his hands of dried blood before leaving his room. "Feel better?"

"Maybe. Maybe. I'm calling a meeting. I need to go over what happened yesterday with the interrogation and explain what I found out."

"Right."

MISSION 2 - START!!

"Heh. That just cements it, don't it?" John chuckled nervously as he heard the fanfare that signalled that things were going to get on a roll. Things were definitely going to happen.

"Yep." Luca replied, popping the 'p'. "I didn't even have to use the intercom."

Enzo awoke on the bridge of his Lady of The Night. Having fallen asleep in the captain's chair with a bottle of brandy and a pile of cigarette butts, the vagabond was really in no shape to get up and have a mission of it. Nonetheless, the conman stirred and peeled himself off of the chair with a yawn. He had dreamed of Naoko as well, though his dreams were much more cheerful.

Enzo always dreamed of Naoko when he fell asleep sitting up. He had this fantasy where the two of them would go on joyous killing sprees before stopping off at a diner for a quick nosh between looting. They'd shared some good times while she was alive, the two of them. Still, at his core, Enzo had no soul and no feelings. There was no guilt. No self-doubt.

The way he sauntered into the lounge on the Crimson Kestrel moments later indicated as much, droopy hungover eyes regarding the room. Enzo pulled his signature brown coat around himself and lit a cigarette.

"It musts be times to fuck around somewhere's." He commented, "Yous gots that looks on yous face."

Tani woke up in her new bunk a bit earlier then she first thought possible. her brain had switched back over to the service. Once her eye fluttered open she was wide awake and ready to go do her job.

She got up and dug through her clothes, not sure what to dress in. With a sigh she pulled out her duty uniform. Though she striped any rank or patches off of it, it still screamed Yami Soldier. Top that she put on her belt with NSP.

Once she was dress she started to wonder the ship looking for Luca. she was glad he had given her a job. but she wasn't so sure what this job entailed. then after she spoke to the boss, she would find some food to eat.

Tani walked into the lounge and found Luca there, snapping into attention she saluted, "Tani Meko Santô Hei err.... Tani Mako reporting for duty." she mentally smacked her forehead at the bit about her former rank.

Crimson Kestrel, Hangar Bay, Seiren's workshop
Seiren lazily opened an eye as a shout pierced the cargo bay. He drifted back to sleep, feeling very warm, very cozy.

Some time later, a second noise finally startled him awake, this time the mysterious overhead announcement of a new mission that ended the previous evening.

Aside him laid a figure that barely fit into the truck bed -- her feet rolled up and her knees up against the opposite wall. Seiren filled the space above her knees. Evidently Rebeka hadn't awoken yet.

Seiren looked at the figure.

Blink

Blink

Uh, what is she doing in my bed?

The inventor bolted upright, staring at Rebeka. Slowly, one hand poked her shoulder. And again.

Slowly with a grumble, she slowly sat up.

"Huh?" her head banged into the wall behind her. "I wasn't sleeping."

Seiren looked at the Sourcian, his jaw slightly agape. "Um. . . what are you doing in my bed?"

He also noticed that he was only wearing his underwear. This much was normal for him, but he hastily pulled the comforter up to cover himself.

Ruby eyes stared back beneath matching gradiented shadow, her stare very plain, like a doll or a machine. She began exploring, noting the way he hid his body.

"Are you cold?"

"Um. . . a tiny bit. . ." He mumbled in reply, staring into her blank gaze. He felt like she was sizing him up. "B-but. . . you still haven't answered my question."

"I wanted to be here" Rebeka said, adjusting the jawline of her bodysuit with a gloved fingertip, only her face and hair really visible.

It made Seiren wonder what was beneath.

"Um. . . well, that's nice, but. . . it's a little creepy. . ." He said, reaching for a T-shirt that lay folded in the corner of the bed. Seiren snagged it with his index finger and dragged it over. He slipped it on.

"Huh... You're built... Strangely for a male..." she stated again, looking aside toward the source of the sound that had woken Seiren.

"Wh-what's that supposed to mean?!" He indignantly said, this time reaching for a pair of pants. Simple, grey slacks awaited his grip.

Her face softened into something surprisingly warm -- her lips a wide but subtle smile, her brows high and her eyes narrow.

"Small."

A quizzical look crossed Seiren's face. "Um. . . okay?" He slipped on the pants underneath the covers, struggling a little with all the fabric.
It took Rebeka a moment to realise she'd been looking too long for it to be comfortable.

"Is it a condition?"

"Long story short, yes," he sighed, flipping the covers off himself.The inventor vaulted over the side of the truck, taking short strides to the workbench nearby. He picked up his arm tracks and slid them on.
"I think we gotta go see Luca now."

Rebeka stood slowly, stretching out before she climbed from the back of the truck - every time her foot struck the ground, a bang, its chassis rising with a creak as she stepped onto the ground with a metallic clunk.
"Coming?"

"Uh, yeah."

10 minutes later: Crimson Kestrel, Lounge

"-why the jawbreaker can withstand so much force. And if you put them in the microwave, they can become deadly," Seiren explained to his tall cohort, skipping into the lounge. He waved to Luca as he entered.

"Deadly?" Rebeka thought aloud. With a crunch, she chewed through another.

She could hear him wincing at the sound of crushed broken glass.

The sound of screaming woke Makari mid dream. It wasn't a particularly memorable dream and as such it faded from memory almost instantly leaving him with two nuggets: cats and bad action movies. Neither of those two things really made sense together so he pushed it out of his mind. He figured it was the boss, the man had looked steadily worse since they had first met a few weeks ago. Despite hardly knowing the guy as well as he would have liked and not fully trusting Luca, he was genuinely worried. "That man has far too many skeletons and ghosts," Makari muttered to himself. Since he was already up, Makari thought he might as well do a once over on all his equipment and make a list of things he might be needing when they ship out. After that he supposed he could mosey down to the rec room and relax there for a bit until the rest of the ship woke up.

Bronzi and Sura entered the lounge but said nothing. They had been aware that Luca had done his interrogation, but the larger Gartagen had no desire to stick around for it.

Bronzi was in full kit, with his battered armor looking cleaner then usual, and he was armed to the teeth. He pulled out one of his cigars and began puffing on it, filling the room with a sweet smelling smoke. Bronzi's expression was dour as always, but his blue eyes gave him away; he was excited to see what today was going to bring.

Sura was smiling, and had her thick robes closed around her. She began milling about near the coffee pot preparing it with water.

"Coffee anybody?" She chirped loud enough for everybody in the room to hear.

Makari had napped for a bit and had missed the entrance of Mako and Luca, but he was awoken by the shrill call for coffee by Sura.

"Sure, I'll take some kiddo! Morning Bronzi, Luca, Mako."

A heavy sleeper Phoenix had not been bothered by the captain's late night terrors. the clone actually slept in longer than he had intended to. He was hoping to spend some time reading up on the engine systems on the Kestrel. Instead he rolled out of bed then leaned up against the dresser in his room. Not fond of mornings he took a moment to reacquaint himself with the waking world. Rubbing his eyes the pale haired technician grumbled to himself and decided what he should wear. eventually he chose some jeans and a tank top. anticipating work he pulled on his old coveralls as well, but he tied the torso about his waist.

dragging his feet he pulled on his boots and shuffled out of his quarters. As he entered the lounge a chipper voice brought up coffee. "I'd love some." Reeves waved his hand in front of his face as he spoke not terribly fond of the smoke that was beginning to fill the room.

"A Hei? A lil' Hei?" Enzo chortled into his coffee with a smug-looking Nepleslian smirk. The grimy conman tipped a flask full of what he'd been calling Midget Scotch over his coffee, giving it a powerful burn as he looked over the new Neko. She wasn't Naoko enough for him. Not tiny enough, and way too polite.

"Thass' the foist rank, innit? D'd'yous even has yer foist lesbian space orgy before yous skipped off?" He jeered, now standing to pace around Tani with an appraising glace as he weaved through and around the other people. Newcomers he'd pretty much ignored up until this point; with the exception of Bronzi. "An' what's that uniform? That salute?"

Enzo laughed. It was one of those dirty laughs that makes you feel all nasty inside. Some would call him stupid for talking down to a living war-machine whilst being a soft, squishy, cybernetically unenhanced Nepleslian. His extensive facial scars, shaking with his mirthful cackles, indicated that he was that special kind of crazy that gets to do those things and at least survive.

Enzo had peaked Bronzi's interest as he jumped on to the new comer. Bronzi's blue eyes opened from slits and locked on to Tani in order to gauge the Yamataian's response to Enzo prodding. Sura had waited for the Coffee pot to finish doing its thing and began pouring mugs. Before long she had placed a full mug of coffee in front of those who had asked.

Bronzi huffed at Enzo and smirked. "I don't guess he knows he ain't in da military any more."

Tani stood there taking the dress down, with nothing but a standard blank look on her face. She thought the whole scene he was causing was quite funny. As Enzo rounded back before her, she guaged her movements carefully, with a quick motion she reached up with both hands and grabbed his ears pulling him down so she could plant a deep kiss on his lips. With a wink she walked over and poured herself a cup of coffee and stood there waiting to find out what the day was going to bring.

Last edited:
"Well, I'm sold." Enzo stated plainly, his eyes alight with lust as he watched Tani cross the room. The scarred up conman reached for his mouth and stroked around the edges of his lips as if they'd been torn off and reattached in that instant. There were a lot worse things to be done to you when accosting someone. Enzo knew this, having had some of them done to him before. Still, in all his greasy, evil years, the vagabond had yet to get that particular reaction, and it showed in his smooth, easy and unashamed grin.

"Y'gotta remind me to makes fun of yous more offen." He added, pressing his nearly forgotten cigarette back to his lips-- almost a hint of disappointment as he washed away the taste of sweet Neko lips in favor of tobacco. Not too disappointed, though. This is Enzo we're talking about. here.

"Well I'll be damned," said the voice from the doorway. Zeta stood there in her trademark tank-top and dark cargo-pants. She lit a cigarette and smiled at the conman. "Enzo you finally started to use your charms?" She made her way into the room, blowing of a puff of smoke.

"I see we got few new members." She commented looking at Tani, who was quite noticably a nekovalkyrja. That made Zeta raise an eyebrow. The uniform did too. There was a also a silvery-haired boy with red cyber-eye, Zeta had yet to meet. "I am Zeta Five." She introduced herself with a smile.

Enzo turned as well to the other newcomer, confronting him beside Zeta. He smiled his wicked grin and raised his eyebrows expectantly.

"Well!?" He asked, waving his cigarette around, "You gonna kiss me too, or what!?"

Zeta chuckled an leaned in, giving Enzo a friendly and sisterly smock on his cheek. Zeta was spoken for after all and even though Enzo was not repulsing, he was a bit of a bastard still. Though before lawnmower attacked his face he was proabbly a handsome scoundrel, now he was but a scoundrel.

"Here you go," Zeta joked and giggled.

"No, not you, y'z old news, sister." Enzo quipped, shoving Zeta off of him. He shifted to completely face Reeves in a cloud of smoke, hands on his hips. "I meant Redeye over heres." The rogue smirked wickedly at the new boy with a hint of mischief in his eye.

"All da new folks is kissin' Enzo todays, yous is up, pal." His lips puckered up tight and made that 'mu-mu-mu-mu' sound as he leaned forward towards Phoenix.

Taking the Coffee Sura distributed in hand graciously he offered a quiet smile as thanks then lingered near the door in case he needed to bolt. This wasn't quite a crowd of people yet but it certainly was well on its way to becoming one. A few more minutes and he could be swallowed up in a sea of people he didn't know. At least in his mind he imagined it that way. These folk seemed well meaning enough so he was willing to trust they wouldn't trample his delicate frame in an emergency. He was content with watching interactions from the sidelines. He hadn't done more than that his whole life. He didn't see much reason in starting now.

As Zeta entered the room and introduced herself he forced a wider smile on his virtually colorless lips and murmured his name back. "Er you can call me Reeves."It was possible she heard him but he wouldn't bet on it. Eyes dropping down to stare at his coffee he wondered quietly how long it would be before he would drink it. He liked his coffee luke warm or in some cases cold. He wasn't fond of hot drinks in general. Eventually he referenced up again to the conversation at hand. The only thing that pulled him out of his thoughts was the movement of a kiss between the girl who had introduced herself as Zeta five and scarred up Nepleslian who was one of the party responsible for smoking up the room.

One thing he wasn't expecting was for the man to turn his attentions toward him. If it was possible to make himself smaller he did. His ears and the rest of his face burnt crimson and he recoiled a little too fast cracking the back of his head against the wall behind him. Reeves lifted his free hand to rub the back of his head while the other clutched his coffee thankful he hadn't managed to spill it. "Um.... No. I mean no thanks. I mean you seem nice but I don't kiss people... especially if I don't know their name. Somehow he managed to sputter out what he was trying to say in a single breath. Inhaling sharply he stared at his coffee again. "Sorry." Phonix's mechanical eye whirred in and out of focus as he stood there wishing he could disappear.

"Aw, ain't yous polite?" Enzo jeered leaning in just a tad closer for maximum gin-and-tobacco-flavored effect. "Maybe later, when yous finds out I ain't people, you'll give ole' Enzo another shit, see?"

There was that terrible, evil little giggle which suggested the distinct lack of a soul-- whether due to sale or forfeiture. Enzo puffed on his cigarette again and slipped back over to Tani with a crooked grin and a mischevious swagger. He leaned up against the wall near her and said, "So, kitty-cat, the new kid says yous can has his share of the kisses. You wants it on the lips again, or maybe somewheres else?"

Tani was taking a sip of her coffee and was about to go talk to Zeta. She wanted to make sure it was ok that she was bunking in her room. Then Enzo came back. "How about you start a tab for me on your kissies, and at some point I'll catch up on the bill." She smiled then straightened up for a second. "Plus the first one is always free..." She winked coyly and then strutted off to Zeta,

"Ma'am i crashed on the empty bunk in your cabin last night, I hope I didn't bother anything, but you never came in so I couldn't ask for permission." She bowed slightly in apology before standing straight again. I don't have much so it all can live in the bunk i was sleeping in, as to not bother what you already have going in there."

Zeta listened to the white-haired boy but he seemed shy. He said something, but Zeta caught only bits of it. "Boy, you need to speak up. I did not quite caught what you said." She said and smiled, puffing on her cigarette. She was wondering if now was good time to booze up a bit. New folks called for drinks.

"Oh that is quite all right lass," Zeta replied to Tani, when she came to talk about the bunk. "I am spending nights there anymore and already buggered all my stuff off. But if you find something, then I probably forgot it there. Should be clean thought. I guess it is your room now lass."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back