• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: NSS Acadia [Mission 3.5]: Back into the Frying Pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fian

The intercom on the Red Hill rang out, most of the people in earshot were either too busy or too in pain to notice. "Attention, CDD Jump in five minutes."

The Master Chief appeared from the side of the shuttle and ran up the ramp, hitting a button that closes it on the way up. "Insubordination is a go!" He yelled, ecstatically. Some of the injured Acadia squad members who didn't share Anselm's enthusiasm for getting hurt again in such a short period of time waved meekly at the shuttle. Take-off was over in less than a minute, no medical tents or cargo crates to look out for during launch.

Fian took position at the front of his crew, the superior pneumatics of his AIR-R was doing a good job of keeping him standing up during the shaky decent to Rok'veru. He started the unscheduled briefing. "Okay here is the deal." A map of the operation area appeared, it was the exact same one the marines had previously with the five defence lines and all. "I've been told that only the fourth and fifth defence lines remain. High Command thought they were goners for sure if the Squids haven't been pausing at each of the first three to collect our living and our dead."

"Since it worked so well the first time around, we'll be following P3C Avel Sitkeas's plan. If any of you weren't listening in earlier, it involves making an even larger diversionary explosion using the City's main powerplant here." Fian highlighted the building on the 5th defence line. "I've reports of isolated pockets of Mishu in-between our under-manned defence lines. The main squad will be clearing house and holding the line while P3C Sitkeas gets to work."

"We won't be alone, elements from Power Armor wings of the NSS Salvation, Tiger Claw, La Gaurdia, Scarborough among others are also re-dropping. In an official statement High Command has expressed disappointment at our collective indiscipline, but will continue the evacuation if the situation permits."

The MC said the following lines in disgust. "Truth is, they had pretty much written off everyone still planetside before this."

"Mishu forces have completely overrun the city, A large majority of them are are combing through every block and building but supposedly we have already evacuated all the civilians. Our focus is on the remaining marines, about three thousand of them dispersed through the defence lines plus the five hundred of us dropping in. Even with multiple runs we do not have enough shuttles to evacuate them all, we'll have to rely on High Command's promise to follow through."

"During the evacuation we'll be facing up to twenty thousand Mishu pods. Intelligence says that these aren't the same cannon fodder units that comprised the Mishu wave earlier, but actual production models worthy of facing the Yamataian Army. Don't be surprised when they don't fall to one MPR bolt. This is a matter of life and death, DO NOT underestimate the enemy."

"Touchdown in 10 minutes!" The shuttle's intercom chimed.

Fian took a long draught off his feeder tube. "Any questions?"

Ezra was momentarily startled when he noticed the tell-tale streaks of atmospheric re-entry on the HUD of his battered Aggressor. He frowned as he glanced down at the ammo indicators - nearly out, only half a canister left in his AMP with a single full one in reserve and only a couple dozen missles left in the single ARROW rack.

The Mishhuvurthyar attack had hit the garrison force hard enough already, and he wasn't looking forward to having to face fresh troops - especially not the stonger units that had been showing up with alarming frequency - with an exhausted squad and armor that was barely holding together. The small group of marines was on the fifth defensive line near the city's power plant taking advantage of a quiet moment between firefights to rest and reload. The squad, or what was left of it, had fallen back from the fourth line to defend the plant from the roving squids that had managed to break through the lines. "I hope this place is worth all the blood it's taken from us..." Ezra thought to hmself.

"Anyone got a reading on those re-entries," one the marines said over the radio.

Ezra's Aggressor groaned in protest as he turned to get a better view. "No idea who they are, but I damn sure hope they're friendly..."

A frantic voice over the channel shattered any thoughts of hope they might have had: "Heads up guys! Squids are back!"

Sean nodded. "Why are these guys different? It seems to me that if these ones are so much better, they should've just started with them from the beginning, and finished us off faster." He shrugged. "Not that it makes much difference to me. Just put a bit more fire into 'em, right? I can deal with that."

"Just put a bit more fire into 'em, right?"

"Amen to that." Keladrian said, checking his HPAR and AOP for the third time each. He was very happy they got to re-supply. He looked at the BOLT rack mounted to his armor. Missiles. Always a good thing.

"So, we basically go in, kick squid ass, let Sitkeas in the plant, kick more squid ass, then high-tail it outta there and watch the fire works? Sounds like a plan to me." Keladrian nodded. Blowing shit up was always a good thing.

Avel's head rose at the mention of advanced Mishhuvurthyar troops. She shuddered at the memory of her last encounter with them. "I've encountered those advanced Mishhuvurthyar once before. They're allot harder to kill and make use ambush tactics. My advice to you is hit them with everything you've got and stay near cover at all times." She warned them. She didn't intend to scare the living Hell out of her new squad, but it was the only sure way to prevent them from getting themselves killed.

"Don't mean a thing to me," Harrison grunted from his requisitioned corner of the shuttle. While on the ship he had commandeered an HPAR from a disabled soldier and used it to augment his already formidable arsenal of heavy weapons. He figured the big, hefty assault rifle would complement his inaccurate yet deadly wrist chainguns. The ex-merc felt invincible at that moment; and if he wasn't he felt damn near close to it.

"Just as long as I still have two arms and two trigger fingers," he intoned, "I reckon I can still disembowel those squids."

Phaedra sat near the back of the shuttle and calmly loaded a round into her Multiphase Rifle. She had barely enough time to gather replacement ammunition, much less have her armor repaired before they shipped off. Phaedra shrugged her right shoulder to test her range of motion and tugged at the VCS strapped to her chest to ensure it was secure.

Her eyes glanced across the shuttle, settling on the faces of her comrades. She thought of those still left behind on the Acadia. She found herself wanting to remember their faces, as if this was the last time she would see them.

"What the hell? When did I suddenly become fatalistic?" thought Phaedra with a mental grimace. She batted the thought aside and hefted the five-foot MPR into an upright position with the stock resting on the decking. She held it steady in both hands and leaned forward to rest her forehead against it. With a sigh she closed her eyes in an attempt to gain a small amount of solace; they would be re-entering the battle soon enough.

Everybody was talking about new and strong squids. Alex really didn't care that much. Squids she met before were strong enough, but she will fire her HPAR until thes are that and on these new ones, it will just require more firing. And she had time to take a rakco ob arrows and dart to replenish her mini-missile systems.

Her armor sat across the shuttle from Anselm. Surgery was succesful. Alex herself was out of her hostile treating Anselms arm on the way. SHe had opened his aggresor so she could take a good look on that arm. "Okay than Anselm. I have cut off part of yor armor so you will be able to open it as will be require. So if the armor will be too damaged you can still get out. You arm is more or less gone, but you still have one." she was talking to Anselm during her work.

"Anselm I want you to stay more in the back. Do covering fire or anything, but you have jsut one arm a damaged armor. Your combat effectivness is a lot lower now so stay back," she continued. It was probably same as talking to the wall but maybe he will listen to her and she won't have to pick his head.

Then she got an idea. Sho turned her head to her commander. "Master-chief if those new Mishu got between lines, Avel could encounter them near the power plant too. Is it wise to send her alone. I mean Anselm could go with her. His thrusthers and push/pull systems are pretty much okay so he won't slow her down and two of them could cover each other. Plus Avel will need someone to watch her back while she will be rigging the plant to go boom," she said to Fian.

Anselm chuckled like an avalanche, back in the comforting embrace of a freshly armed Aggressor, "Read the manuals, newbie, Agressors aren't equipped with PP systems," the probe-controled gauntlet of the armorsuit's left arm ran over the AMP's reciever, "pretty much everything is offense on this monster, I will, however, be supporting everyone with M3 PAL cases," his good arm pointed at the menacing plasma projector barrels looming over the Aggressor's shoulders.

"Just watch yourself against these mainline models," he held up his left hand and wiggled the empty fingers slowly, operating the hand solely through the armor's mental probe was much more difficult than his training with psycho-operation had suggested, his wound had at least given him a helping hand in maintaining focus, "I doubt many people are trained to pilot PAs without their operative limbs."

Fian turned over to Avel and handed her a datapad with a page on someone's biodata open. "Once we get down, look for this guy and take him with you to the Powerplant. A Private 3rd Class Ezra Brand. Supposed to have been assigned to the Acadia but wound up somewhere with the Garrison in all the chaos. He should know the place better than any of us."

"The rest of you, follow me!" The Master Chief ordered and as though on cue the shuttle ramp fell open. Fian let go of the handhold and triggered his AIR-R's skirt vernier thrusters, effortlessly hovering out into the open.

Three disheartened soldiers in old E2 suits tried to rush into the shuttle, but were shoved back by a Chief in a still smoking M8 Hostile. The marines that were planetside earlier could recognize him as the leader of the squad that relieved them. The man barked "Don't be a selfish fucktard, you call yourself soldiers of the SMoDIN? THOSE are soldiers of the SMoDIN! If you have any dignity left, go to the medical tents, inform the orderlies and get the wounded here first!"

Embarrassed, the three murmured in assent boosted off to do as they were told. The Chief then opened a commlink to the squad. "Only the auxiliaries and newbies are left behind. Difficult as hell to keep any kind of order with these hopeless bunch, but now there may still be hope left. Thanks for coming back for us."

Fian boosted on quietly.

"The rest of you, follow me!"

"Aye aye sir!" Keladrian sounded off. He jumped out of the shuttle, landing with a hard thud and throwing up a cloud of dust. He unclipped his HPAR from its hardpoint. Kel was glad he made sure to grab plenty of ammo, and now he was looking forward to using it.

He watched as some 'green' (Although he could be considered the same) Marines in E2's rush the shuttle, with little success. The Marine felt slight sympathy towards them, but brushed it off. They should have known the wounded would get priority.

Scanning the area, he boosted onwards, following the MC.

"Ooh-Rah!" Anselm tumbled out of the shuttle behind the Master Chief, almost taking out the E2s trying to get on, "nice warzone for a picnic, boys!" he called back at them.

Boosting up a small hill created by the creative use, some would say overuse, of high explosives, Anselm unpacked the observation probe limbered to his hip. The little drone bounced away on ion thrusters, hugging the blasted terrain as much as possible while keeping a good field of view. The well-armed marine controller hunkered below the hill's crest so his armor wouldn't draw as much fire from snipers and artillery spotters. "Birdy's up, M-C," the Albino notified his Fearless Leader.

Sean followed him out, hitting the ground ready, though he doubted anything would have made it here already. Probably going to be a little bit before they make it this far. That, or they figure this isn't worth taking down at this point. Still a decent number of healthy, fighting marines out there I guess. He readied himself anyway, knowing that even now they weren't far from open combat. "Sir, are you sure sending only one person with her is the best idea? If there's any kind of concerted attack, there's no way one will be able to withstand it alone."

When they were ten 'til the drop, Kingston popped his helmet back on. When they hit the dirt, Kingston had almost shoved one of the rookies over, irritated that they would be so cowardly. "No wonder we've gone to producing clone super-soldiers," the Private sighed and pressed on.

The shield drones were almost all at 100%, but in his rush to get out of there, he'd forgotten to replace the single damaged drone, so there was no chance of him utilizing the bubble-shield formation. "Avel, Anselm, Harrison, I offer gifts and good tidings. Use 'em well." Avel would notice a trio of small blurbs indicating that she had control of three new shield drones. Anselm and Harrison each received four.

Avel was the last to exit the shuttle and surveyed her surroundings. The power plant was just ahead of her position. She marched over to Anselm and began speaking. "Hey Anselm, you're with me and keep an eye out for a man by the name of Private 3rd Class Ezra Brand. He apparently knows his way around the power plant better than the rest of us."

It looked like Fian had same idea. Only he wanted to send a healthy marine and not a cripple. Well it was his choice. He was the MC.

As the shuttle was clsoing to danger zone, Alex climbed back in her Hostile and closed it. Now that she thought of it nobody had time to notice her orangeyish skin tone. Well gor for her, she won't be called tangerine for some other time. That it if she survives.

As the shuttle landed Alex got out and into cover, she looked into one of sectros. They were in battlezone already so she was being careful. Adrenalin was slowly getting back into her veins and she couldn't help but to smile again. Okay let's do this. She thought.

"Nice warzone for a picnic, boys!"

Keladrian laughed. "Enjoying the new toy Anselm?" He questioned, referring to his new PA. Kel took up a defensive position about 15 yards to the right of Anselm's current position, on a similar 'hill.' He scanned the area around him and sent up his own Observation Probe. The video feed streaming into his HUD gave him a nice birds eye view of the surrounding area. "Ready when you are Master Chief." Keladrian said, repositioning his grip on his HPAR.

Phaedra placed her helmet back on her head and dropped from the shuttle behind her comrades, using her thrusters to slow her descent. She landed cautiously, as she was without the extra maneuverability afforded by the NIGHT's wings. She made her way to over to the rest of the squad; coming up next to Keladrian. Phaedra listened to her squadmates' chatter on the comm, but said nothing. She was unable to shake off a foreboding sense of disaster; somehow she felt that most of them weren't going to be coming back.

"God, why can't I get rid of this feeling! the shouted in her mind. And that was when another thought resurfaced:

"It's called survivor's guilt; you blame yourself for their deaths because you were the only one that survived. But it's true isn't it? It was your fault they are all dead. You get your squadmates killed!" spoke another voice in her mind.

"Damn IPG and their mindgames..." grimaced Phaedra. She hefted her MPR and inspected it in an attempt to think of something else.

It had come down to this - a deathmatch between a broken Aggressor and a Mishu Ripper that was hell-bent on getting to the powerplant.

They were only ones left on their respective sides. The Ripper had just finished cutting down the marines' sergeant with its arm blade and was moving in to do the same to Ezra. He briefly wondered why the brain slave inside wasn't firing its weapons as it had done on the approach, but quickly reminded himself that you don't have to be smart to be a sadistic bastard.

As it moved forward, Ezra empied the handful of rounds left in his AMP, but the Ripper just kept coming. Inside the Aggressor, Ezra let out an exaspirated sigh and with a resigned "Ah shit..." enacted his last ditch efforts at defending the powerplant. He threw the empty AMP directly at the advancing Ripper and was rewarded with a glancing blow on its right shoulder. It bought just enough time for Ezra to draw his vibro knife and throw the Aggressor's boosters to full. "This is gonna hurt."

The force of slamming into the Ripper rattled Ezra and set off numerous failure warnings on the HUD. Ignoring them, Ezra kept the momentum going and carried the Ripper with him until they both slammed into the side of a bombed out building near the single road leading to the power plant. Shoving himself off the Ripper, he saw his target nestled securely in a sizable impact crater with his knife lodged hilt deep in the cockpit. He didn't have time to savor the view, though, he needed to get out his dying power armor.

Moving over in front of one of the pair of overturned trucks the marines had set up as a barricade for the street leading to the plant, he popped the seals and climbed out of the armor. He slumped down against the Aggressor, exhausted, and drew his Styrling .45. Resting it on his knee, he grinned slightly and said to the destruction around him, "Alright, who's next?"

No matter what, he wasn't abandoning this post

"Roger wilco, Team Leader, let's find our boy, my probe is already on the lookout," Anselm slid down the last few feet of the little hill, ready to follow after Private Sitkeas with more than a little bounce in his step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back