• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 3 Prelude: Rise; you better shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff
The crew of the Miharu returned to their ship in good health, at least.

Settling in, however, was a different story. Red-paneled technicians were still crawling around the inside of the ship, some under Tom Freeman's watchful eye.

Most of the crew were dealing with whatever duties were left over for them. Masako was working with the armors, as was Asher, Yuril, Yoroko and Kai; Takuma was running tests with Miharu's MEGAMI system through the PANTHEON; Sanjuro was examining a Yamataian technician who'd slipped and fell in some oil; Nyton was with Kotori still, talking strategy on the way back to the ship; Sora was with Sumaru, having just arrived back on the Miharu; and Yukari was in the kitchen, with Miyoko.

Aoiko was inside her room, adjusting it what little she had to make it as she wanted.

The call went out for a dinner briefing in about 25 minutes. Yukari, for her part, was tapping her foot impatiently for Tom's bread recipe to finish. Tom had promised to help her when he had time, but the poor engineer was a tad busy.

Re: Mission 3

Aoiko was halfway through unpacking when the call went out. She glanced to the ceiling, glanced back to the trunk she'd brought with her, and did a bit of quick figuring in her head. She picked up the pace a little, placing clothing in drawers according to a precise scheme, essential reference books upon the desk, and a silver-tipped walking stick by the bed.

Twenty-three and an half minutes later, wearing a perfectly-ordered uniform, Aoiko stepped into the wardroom.

Sanjuro, having finished his analysis, ordered up two volumetric x-ray images on the medical screen depicting a man's left leg, foot to thigh from two different angles. These were, no doubt, images of the injuries the Yamataian technician had sustained on his little spill down in the Miharu's maintenance areas. Although Sanjuro could read every single facet of the images, it became apparent that the x-rays meant little to the patient himself, who sat looking dumbfounded as he pressed the icy-cold gel pack onto his leg.

"Your fall has, luckily, only torn your hamstring when the slip extended your leg beyond the normal threshold," Sanjuro attempted to explain, waving a finger at small sections of the images. "However, your harsh landing also sprained your gastrocnemis and came very close to tearing your Achilles' tendon . While these are quite painful at first glance, they are easily healed by natural means and usually require little more than keeping the affected area in a state of lesser stress for a week or so, and keeping it in a chilled state to produce a numbing effect while the muscles repair themselves."

". . . what?" The technician asked, positively flabbergasted.

"...bedrest for a week or so, and keep the ice-pack on your leg just under the calf," Sanjuro replied, doing little to hide the displeasure of his terms and diagnosis' once again falling upon deaf ears.

Sora returned from her visit to the surface with Sumaru, still very uncertain of what it was that she wanted from Sumaru and what she wanted to do about the growing distance between herself and Serizawa. She shouldn't have been so surprised that when she returned, she found that in her absence Serizawa had removed his things from their shared quarters.

She felt numb from this discovery and blinked back a few startled tears. She didn't want to cry as she tried to ignore the sudden feeling of emptiness in her quarters as she finished putting the rest of her belongings away from her traveling bag. I still have time to get ready for dinner but now I'm really not hungry. Maybe some studying on the ship's sensors will help...

Yoroko had been planning to spar with Asher when they arrived back on the ship, however that would be cut short when Masako had called them all to work on or practice with their armors. Yoroko decided that she would do more simulations with the Ryusei. Yoroko's performance during the simulation so far was very poor. She had almost flown into a simulated Miharu multiple times, though luckily managed to pull up both times. I gotta pay attention. Yoroko thought silently as she came for another attack run at one of the simulated targets. Aether streamed from her weapons, and the fire connected with it's target.

Silently Yoroko's mind wandered off back to lunch at Asher's, not even noticing that she had destroyed her target, Asher Westwood...do I lo- Suddenly an IFF alert went off and Yoroko instinctively pulled sharply to the left, barely missing a simulated Masako's armor with her weapons fire. PAY ATTENTION!! Yoroko screamed at herself internally."I'm sorry Kurohoshi-Juni." Yoroko sent apologetically to Masako. As Yoroko sent the message she recieved the message about dinner. Focus, 25 more minutes of this.

With the call for dinner, Kai put down his tools and closed up his Daisy. He hadn't really done much, he was just poking around in a few places the manual had mentioned possible wear in, to be sure he could fix it if the need ever arose. He wiped his hands on his shirt, then looked at it, realising that large multicolored streaks across it wouldn't look good at the table. He walked back to his quarters, and changed to his uniform. He wanted to wear one of the new T-shirts he had bought on Yamatai, but that wouldn't suffice for a briefing. Making sure he smelled fine, Kai left his room and sauntered down the hallway towards the wardroom.

Masako could only sigh quietly as she watched the simulation from a computer console, her palm rubbing her forehead as she leaned back in a chair. Nearly an hour or so ago, she had been in the simulator with all of her armor crew plus one fighter pilot in team coordination drills. She wanted those under her to work together as a team efficiently. After all, an armor team that worked as a team often survived.

Asher and Kai had done pretty well during the simulation. Asher she understood because he was the ranking veteran underneath her. Kai seemed to have decent skills and the potential to get better. Masako had a harder time ranking Yuril among the new recruits, so the Armor Leader had paired Yuril with herself and they seemed to work well together for the most part. Over all, the entire Armor side of the team looked good, but still had some kinks here and there.

Poor Yoroko, on the other hand, was an entirely different story. Throughout the entire team drill, she had been flying out of formation and nearly running into Masako a couple of times. Because of this, Ittô Juni Kurohoshi had held Yoroko back while releasing the rest of them to do maintenance upon the power armors and rest up. Masako had hoped a few more simulator runs through would polish the young woman up a bit more. She was being severely disappointed as she watched the fighter pilot nearly mow her simulated form down again.

With another sigh, Masako reached forward and shut the simulator down while Yoroko was in mid-strafing run. "Mizuno-Hei, please come out and see me," the Warrant Officer requested as she stood up and closed the computer console.

"Nothing out of the ordinary," Takuma said to himself after another set of tests came back green. "Small discrepancies, but within acceptable range." Right before he could start the next test, he received a message for a briefing at dinner in just under half an hour.

Running another large scale test would most likely take more time than he had available, so he started the next test and queued some others to run right after. "Forward the results to me when you get the chance," he said to the air, now used to the fact that it would not fall on deaf ears.

Before heading to the wardroom, the technician stopped by his quarters to straighten up his uniform and to make sure he looked presentable. Not that he had to worry about it too much from being at a computer terminal , but an annoyed superior is not what anyone wants to see.

Takuma wandered into the wardroom, earlier than 25 minutes, but he didn't pay attention to how much earlier. He didn't notice anyone with his lazy glance around the room, so he took a seat, pulled out his datapad, and went through the results of the last test a second time, more to pass time rather than being paranoid over the chance of making a mistake.

Miyoko was, for the first time recently, quite pleased. Her trip to the planet's surface had helped distract her from the Miharu's recent Ashitaka infestation. She had bought little, but more because of a surplus of options than a lack of anything to buy. Her previous experiences of shopping on military stations and the rare backwater planet paled in comparison to Kyoto, a city that the young Yamataian found both enticing and overwhelming.

Such was it that she was in the kitchen, relating her experiences to Yukari with a bit more enthusiasm than she was known for. "... so many different types of clothes. It makes me wish that we had more occasions to dress up in something other than uniforms. I think a few of them could work with what little figure I have while still being actually tasteful." She trailed off, realizing she'd been rambling. Looking a tad embarrassed, she recovered before asking, "Did you and Freeman-heisho enjoy yourselves?"

"Yes," Yukari said. She did not look at Miyoko as she spoke, and did not correct her mistake about Tom's rank.

She looked down at the oven for another moment, then brought her eyes to Miyoko. "'What little figure'?" Yukari said, going back in conversational time. "You have much 'figure!' Your hips, for instance, are, ah, wide! Men like that, I believe. What clothes did you see?"

Yoroko squezed her eyes shut when Masako shut the simulation down prematurely and asked her to see her. "Love..." Yoroko huffed quietly, before she reached up to brush the tears out of the corners of her eyes. "How do people do it?" Yorko wondered before taking a deep breath and leaving the simulator, unprepared to meet with her CO but unable to avoid it.

Sora let out a deep sigh and walked out of her quarters to the Miharu's main Medical bay. She noticed that Ashitaka was diligent as ever having already started his work. She smiled, a little glad for his attentiveness to his job. "Have a good vacation, Ashitaka-Hei?"

She picked up a data pad and started going over an inventory list to make sure they had what they needed before the next mission. "Did you already go through the inventory and equipment maintenance routines?"

About thirty seconds after Takuma sat down, Kai walked in, spyed him looking at the datapad, and plopped into the chair next to him. Adjusting himself, he sat up a bit straighter, leaned over and asked him "Whatcha looking at?"

"'Hey Kai" he said, glancing at the newcomer and tossing him a carefree wave. "Well," he said, glancing at his datapad, going back a few pages as if to start from the beginning.

"This 7 over here is me and the 6 is you," he said, pointing to a pair of numbers paired up against each other. "This is with no modifications. Now," he said, pushing a button and moving to a new set of numbers, most increasing in size from what appeared numbers from a stress test.

"This is if I introduce a sword into the setting. My 7 raises to a 13, but your 6 raises to a 15. My conclusion, if I can keep you away from a sword, I have a chance of winning in a duel."

Takuma kept his head looking at the datapad but looked over at Kai to see what he'd say. Here's hoping he doesn't have a hidden sword on him.

"The Taisa has swords in her room too," Mara quipped as she joined Takuma and Kai. "Samurai swords, just like the other Ketsurui Samurai whom have just boarded out ship have."

The sprite grinned. "Why are we talking about swords?"

"Oh, um, it was similar to a sundress, but..." Miyoko gestured at her shoulders, not exactly a whiz with fashion terms. "No... shoulder straps. And a sash at the waist to cinch it in. Er, maybe it was a belt? And..." She started to gesture again, before realizing that she wasn't getting much across. Miyoko trailed off, looking a bit embarrassed at her lack of knowledge on the topic of dresses.

"It's of no concern. Like I said, we don't have much opportunity to wear such things, anyway. I'd look silly fluttering around the ship in that."

A little confused, Kai answered "Oh" before staring at the screen again. Though he had passed all the Necesary tests for the Star army, The Yamataian HATED math, and didn't feel like understanding what Takuma was saying. "You've just reminded me, I sword-fought your brother once. Kid broke my nose" Kai said, thumbing towards his nose a for a second. "I still have some wooden ones in my room, and a ceremonial Katana."

Realizing he had gotten off topic, he shook his head a moment, then said "But anyway, what does all that mean?" looking back at Takuma, then to the pad again, a look of mild puzzlement on his face.

Sanjuro immediately dropped what he was doing to present a humble bow as the Ketsurui entered the medical bay, and gave Sora a single nod of reassurance to answer her question.

"Yes ma'am, I have double-checked all of our medicinal inventory and run two diagnostic routines on all of the medical equipment. Everything is in perfect working order, although I am certain you will not take my word for it. And I agree, you should scrutinize my work as you are my superior, and I understand that your level of skill is in a league beyond mine. If there is any way I can assist you, however, please ask."

Masako observed her subordinate closely as the Santô Hei exited the simulator. With a stoic expression upon her face, the young Warrant Officer waved to Yoroko. "Walk with me to dinner, will you?" Masako asked as she waited for Yoroko before moving. "I'm quite surprised at your performance today," she began, not raising her voice at all, but not entirely too happy either. "True, I personally don't know your skills first hand, but I expected you to perform better than this," Masako continued.

"So far today, you've not only missed several targets, but have come very close to killing me on numerous occasions." Masako pointed out before something changed in her expression. "Now, I know I'm probably very inexperienced as a Armor Commander compared to your previous instructors, but I thought I did well enough not to warrant friendly fire from disappointed recruits," the shorter woman seemed to tease the fighter pilot lightly before sighing.

"To be honest, you seemed quite distracted throughout the entire exercise." Masako stated before scratching the tip of her left ear in thought. "If anything or anyone is bothering you, it could be hindering your performance greatly. So before we enter the Wardroom...if there's anything you'd want to get off your chest, you might as well get it over with and do it now," the Warrant Officer offered. "It'd probably make you feel better."

Yoroko grimaced when Masako mentioned how many times she had been killed or almost killed more than once in the simulation. "No it's not you, Kurohoshi-Juni." Yoroko shook her head as she spoke, "You're a fine armor commander, it's my fault for being a poor pilot." Yoroko said apologetically before her face relaxed and she looked as if she was far off. "I think I love Westwood-Hei." Yoroko said quietly, "But I don't know what that means. What's it mean?" Yoroko sniffled a little and turned her head to look at Masako as she asked the last question. "I don't feel like I used to, I feel....different."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back