• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Mission Fifteen: Harae

Status
Not open for further replies.
YSS ???
Hallway - Deck 1
YE 40

Walking through the hallways, Elenor kept her rifle at the ready, checking her corners as she moved, not that there were many to check as she headed for the shuttle bay. She wasn't sure what she'd find, but so far, the whole ship was feeling more like a phantom than anything. Still, she was not going to let a few jitters throw her off. She was determined to not seem like an green horn, which gave her the determination to do this right as she moved. Moving along the port side, she checked the enlisted quarters along the way, not sure what to expect in them.

YSS ???
Bridge

As the science scanner popped out that the atmosphere was present and safe, Saya would pull her helmet off and shake her hair free as she continued to look over the readings of the medical scanner.

"Atmosphere is safe, but the medical scanner is having an issue figuring out what is going on with them. The readings aren't able to get one good look for some reason. They seem frozen though, like time stopped for them or something. It's weird." Saya announced out loud to those assembled as she pushed the information she had gathered already to Sacre, a small question popping up next to the medical scanner readout.

"Any thoughts?" She asked her superior.

YSS Akagi
Medbay

Sacre copied everything on the tablet into a secure container. She let Boss handle the details as she wasn't computer savy. Boss confirmed that the data had been baked up and Sacre relaxed. She just wanted a back up in case the tablet died. She scanned through the information, tail thashing slightly as she felt the annoyance that they apparently hadn't backed anyone up. However, in the footer of the e-mails, she fould the ship's name. Finally she reported to Alistair, "This is the YSS Akagi. Last medical record was back in YE 35. No medical issues reported. None of them got backups, idiots. The medbay also looks untouched. My read of the information is that whatever happened, happened fast. No time for backups or even medical records. If there was a battle, then it must have been very short and sudden. We need to keep on our toes. Saya, I think we should bring the bodies here, once we have the power up we can do an autopsy on the remains if everything is as intact as it looks. That will help keep any potential biohazard from threatening the Kaiyo."

Last edited:
YSS Akagi

"Agreed.", Mark said deploying an NSB.

"How about we clear the Cargo bay first, since its one of the largest compartments." With that he waited for Klaus to deploy his drone as well, before heading off towards the designated compartment. He kept his shield up and rifle raised, staying aware of corners and doors.

Last edited:
Engineering

While Odo was poking his head around the generator, something occurred to him. The only bodies he had seen was those on the bridge. He opened up a communication line to the rest of the team.

"No go on the generators right now, still poking around. We may try to get some portable power cells transported over here and hook them up to get some sort of minimal power going." He said. If he could get some of the workstations on, they might be able to get some further connectivity. "On a unrelated note. Has anyone see any other bodies, than those on the bridge? There are no crew members here in engineering, and their should have been at least a few here if something was happening." Something did not feel right.

YSS Akagi
Hallway

"Understood." Klaus said deploying one of his NSBs to stand watch. He quickly followed Oaklen-hei through the hallway, making sure his fellow soldier was covered.

As the two men moved to the cargo bay, Klaus heard the query sent over team communications by Odo-hei, the name being supplied by his HUD, and decided to answer. "This is Kurogane-hei, me and Oaklen-hei haven't encountered any bodies yet, but we still have more places to check. We'll keep you updated has we move, over."

YSS ???
Engineering

"Hmm... Hard to say..." The tall bird began. "Doesn't look damaged on the outside, which would imply something must've happened that could damage the internals but not the externals. They could've been hit by some kind of EMP, or maybe they got overloaded somehow." When she heard Odo comment that there were no bodies, she looked at him and said "Unless... this is a trap?"

YSS ???
Bridge

Saya nodded more to herself than anything else as she received the idea from Sacre and turned to look at those frozen on the bridge. She thought it over for a moment, hoping that her scanner would possibly bring something up before she moved to the bodies and gently lifted the one closest to her up into her arms. She looked around at the others on the bridge with her before she spoke.

"I need some help getting the crew down to the medical bay. If anyone can be spared to help, I would appreciate it. Sacre-Hei wants all the crew down in the medbay so we can examine them better." And with that, Saya began to transport the frozen bridge crew down to the medbay with all the care she could muster. She walked along without the use of her suit's systems and made she took care while she walked through doorways to not bang heads or legs. If all the crew wasn't accounted for, Saya would make multiple trips as needed.

YSS KAIYŌ II
MEDBAY

A lot had been happening on the other ship; bodies, internal damage, and that sort of ghost story nonsense. Ragnar was barely aware of the details as he only had been listening in on the comms as they were available, mostly keeping an ear out for returning injuries. Being on standby was not his idea of a great time. A boring and uneventful time on his end.

Between nervously checking comms; the big man chose to keep himself busy by recataloging crew medical files in every method allowed on the computer, and back to the way Sacre had them originally. After that he prepped emergency trauma and infection treatment stations, a line up of ppe ready for every medic, and finally the boredom was eroding his professionalism making way for pranks and annoyances to the other medics.

That isn’t to say he was looking much the part of everyone’s condition one status. Being on standby he left himself locked in the medbay. Protective gear, he mockingly thought as he glanced to the sidearm in its holster, both and the belt hung near the door. He did take the opportunity to get back into the working uniform he preferred over the stuffy and obnoxiously tight on him every day uniform.

Ragnar’s logic seemed sound in his own mind; if I have to jump into a Mindy this’ll fit better and if something pops off and they need me as a medic I’d rather not be constrained by all the gear. Proud of his assessment, not like the higher ups are gonna come down here and be bent out of shape during an op. He internally griped. Some of his earlier resentment of superiors seeping back into his life.

He turned the audio on the comms up to an audible level but let some rhythmic music play as well while pulling a duffel he’d prepared between the earlier declaration of war by the captain and condition two. Since no one’s dying, he thought while pulling out a set of dumbbells he had “requisitioned”, May as well get some work in.

Stripping the top of the uniform down to the waist for better air flow, Ragnar began doing reps on the 30 kilo weights and plotting where to hide them that would not be discovered by his fellow medical personal or at least annoy them the most if they did.

YSS Akagi

Alastair took the report from Sacre and updated the master mission report with the now known ship name. The YSS Akagi did ring a few bells from when Alastair was younger. He was curious what the ship might know about this ghost ship.

"MEGAMI, what information do we have on the YSS Akagi? Focus on anything related to the mission and or cargo it might of had during last contact. I want to know if this ship is like this due to some unknown weapon or if it was just a fluke."

YSS Kaiyō II, Armor Bay

And for the third time the Hot Rod Power Armor was ready for action. As Candon stood back and admired the construct he couldn't help but feel something familiar about it. Specifically something he missed dearly.

The armor rack bowed visibly from the weight of the medium powered armor it hoisted. It had actually done pretty good, considering the difference in size between Mindys it was built for and the unit that it currently supported. In fact, it hadn't budged a bit until he placed a pair of 50mm bazookas in the binders on its wings. The situation was just so familiar.

"Hmm, what fits into anything perfectly with the exception of its huge guns?…" he thought as he scratched his chin.

"Oh yeah, my wife!" he declared aloud as it clicked…
"I miss Masumi…

YSS Akagi - Bridge

"Sir? Unless you've got any other orders, I will help Fujiwara-hei move the bridge crew down to the medbay?" she asked. "Asked". Unless Alastair stopped her, she joined Saya in moving the frozen nekos one by one down through the low grav. That this whole thing was a trap, or contaminated, or worse... Well. There was no sense fretting about it until something identifiable felt wrong.

YSS Kaiyō II
Bridge

Asuka said to the bridge, "Our covert eye's passive scans have revealed the planet to be uninhabitable. Dense gaseous thunder hurricanes exist on the majority of the surface, save for a single building on the planet's surface."

"Is that all?" Hoshi asked.

"Yes," Asuka said and Hoshi nodded and spoke again.

"Kamikaze-taii, please be advised by Boss of the sensor readings we picked up on the surface and then proceed to prepare your team to go down to the surface, supplemented by Belmont-chui and his away team." Hoshi said, then spoke again, "Boss, alert Belmont-chui of the change to the situation and direct any questions he has to me. If what I am seeing on the medic's HUD is real, I want answers."

Shuttle Bay

Kamikaze looked to the door and strode to it while speaking out, "Alright boys, prepare to load out." Her eyes drifted to the Mamushi. "I want the fighter pilots with me on the surface with us. Be prepared to leave, but I don't want to fully load out until Bel-chui has made his understanding of what we're doing clear. MEGAMI, send some explanation of what you spotted on the surface to my team." Looking over her shoulder as she walked into the open power armor bay, she said, "We'll be rendezvousing with the other away team on the surface's sole building. See the info packet the MEGAMI just sent us. Any questions or complaints?"

YSS Akagi
Med Bay

While Kamikaze was being alerted and before Alastair had been alerted by Boss of the mission profile's status change, Sacre was making advancements in understanding the nature of what had caused the crew deaths on the YSS Akagi. Boss had informed her that the ship had gone out on a mission of exploration and had undertaken charting the area it was now in with a normal weapon compliment for the mission profile and time period, which was during a time of relative peace for Yamatai. What the bodies exposed to the chief medic of the Kaiyō II, as Saya and Belle assisted, was that these people's white matter had super charged myelin-like coatings on what could be called axons. Sacre would be able to note the severely deteriorated coatings were the antecedent to death on the bodies she exhumed.

Engineering

Kiki's oceanic eyes settled on the dust that had settled inside of the well-sealed panels that she had opened up. To the naked eye, there was nothing else to see that indicated abnormality of any kind.

YSS Akagi
Med Bay

"What in the world... Poor spacers..." Bel murmured softly, as Sacre performed her autopsy on the crew members. She had no idea what the readings the medic was getting meant, other than 'probably dead'. Somehow that made the whole ship creepier despite nothing having changed at all, and the inability to nervously ruffle her wings weighed heavy.

YSS Akagi
Bridge - Captains Quarters

Alastair was about to continue chatting it up with Mehitabel while heading down to the medical bay when the alert came in. Support Kamikaze who is heading to the planet. It would seem the tables have turned and now I get to watch her behind. I mean back up her behind. "Hear you loud and clear to give support to Kamikaze. Will watch her behind real good." Ah hell, I just said that didn't I. Alastair was glad his reply was only back to Boss and not a broad cast to the entire crew.

"Alright team, we have a change of orders. We are to assist Kamikaze and her away team down to the planet. I need a few volunteers to follow me down to the planet. Rest can stay on the ship and explore more." He closed the comm link and looked at the report boss had sent over. "Captain Hoshi, anything else I should be aware of before heading to the planet to give support?" He asked in a cool voice.

YSS Kaiyo II
Shuttle Bay

"I am never really fully loaded." Mikael said in possibly some attempt at a joke. Given how serious his face looked at the moment, who knows. "What is the situation down there up to this point?"

YSS AKAGI
MED BAY

Saya looked over the readings, having spent more time in hospitals and thus having more time to read up and learn about various diseases, looked over the bodies and the findings with confusion. She thought Nekovalkyrja were mostly immune to diseases like this.

"Demyelinating disease? But how... and what else happened? Demyelinating doesn't kill someone, it just causes other diseases."

Saya would look over to Sacre in confusion as she tried to recall just what could be the cause of death. A Nekovalkyrja's regenerative abilities should have taken care of something like this, yet it hadn't.

YSS Kaiyo II
Bridge

Another day, another hour of sitting quietly and trying to stay focused on the mission. Gravity could allow no distractions. Like the silken feeling of cuddling up against Sacre. Oh, Christ, the cat part of her just wanted to purr and curl up in a soft warm bed against her long, soft-

Gravity immediately sat up at her controls, not sleeping, but lost in a daydream of what plans she had after the mission was complete.

Things had been so much easier when she'd been a freshly-brewed battlecat with nothing in her mind but the haze of combat. But after a year of life, she'd explored ancient temples, battled slime monsters in another dimension, tamed dragons, and found a love so deep for a reclusive and territorial creature that it sometimes made the neko want to punch something.

Forcing herself out of such a pleasureable train of thought, she scanned the incoming readings with the iron focus that had been drilled into her since a few days after birth...

...Llamas were sorta cool, now that she thought of it. Didn't like someone? Fuckin' spit on their faces. Yeah, that was so badass. Sometimes she wished she could do that. What did such uncaring creatures dream of when it was time to sleep? World domination? The nature of existence itself?

YSS AKAGI
Engineering

"If you dont need me, Id like to stay and tinker with the ship" Odo told his squad leader. "See if I cant get anything running and get more info."

They were getting no info from looking around, nothing looked out of place, just nothing was starting up. He opened up a comm line back to the ship.

"Boss, we are having some trouble getting this ship turned on. Do we have any sort of portable power cells or anything that we can possibly hook directly up to the ships circuits in engineering to get it some sort of power generation."

Obviously they would have nothing powerful enough to run the whole ship, but maybe they could get some of the workstations running and possibly a infusion of power would jump start the generators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back