• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Resolved More Trophies, Please!

I know this is a rather minor thing that doesn't have much impact on SARP as a whole, but I have to agree with what @Kai said here, @Wes, as now that I think about it having a trophy for a 1:1 like/post ratio (or greater) in my opinion is, in my humble opinion, not a good idea - as it encourages less forum activity (the more posts someone makes, the less chance they have of getting the trophy) and is extremely unfair to those that were a member of the site prior to the "like system" being introduced.

i dont think that would be a particular focus for anyone. Trophies offer little to no incentive to achieve them. And you cant get likes without posting tbh.

I also never saw anyone complain (so far) or even quite mention the fact that because they where here before the likes or trophy system they will never catch up or even have any desire to do so.

'S just a buncha numbers under ye name. I dont take any personal care to whether or not how many posts ive made, How many likes ive gotten, Or even my trophy points unless im being ironic or satirical.

If they had actual meaning however, Like if the wesman or someone honeslty sat down and said X cant be staff or a mod or etc. because people havent liked their posts as much as the other guy, And he doesnt have a lot of trophy points so its obvious they arent trying then that would be one thing. but it hasnt and wont~

i dont think that would be a particular focus for anyone. Trophies offer little to no incentive to achieve them. And you cant get likes without posting tbh.

I also never saw anyone complain (so far) or even quite mention the fact that because they where here before the likes or trophy system they will never catch up or even have any desire to do so.

'S just a buncha numbers under ye name. I dont take any personal care to whether or not how many posts ive made, How many likes ive gotten, Or even my trophy points unless im being ironic or satirical.

If they had actual meaning however, Like if the wesman or someone honeslty sat down and said X cant be staff or a mod or etc. because people havent liked their posts as much as the other guy, And he doesnt have a lot of trophy points so its obvious they arent trying then that would be one thing. but it hasnt and wont~
I’m not giving this guy a like; hope he loses his trophy >:C

Sometimes you get trophies you don't like. In karate I got an award nobody else got one year, "Most Improved." To little me, that means I started at -1990 skill points in karate and I was bummed. It inevitably made me persevere, but I couldn't change the award, I could only change how I felt about it. In time, I learned that you don't choose the awards/trophies that you get in life. Sure, you can choose to take karate or you can choose to join SARP, but you don't get to cherry pick the awards the sensei and forum give you as a member. They are given to you, and what you make with them can help shape your experience, or it can detract from it.

By intention, though, a trophy is not a bad thing. My example above is a way to relate to your feelings about the trophy being awarded as a bad thing, but that's not a normal response and what I learned is of the importance. I hope the above can help you guys better understand the forum systems and how they can help and not detract from your experience here!

About older members not having as many likes, because they started on SARP in a time when likes didn't exist: I don't super like that, but every other lesson I have learned about trophies as a concept points to that being okay. The biggest reason for it being super okay is there are several other trophies attainable of equal or greater value. If you want a 20 point trophy, check out the all available trophies page linked in the OP, I believe. There are several for the older members as well as newer ones. My point is that it's okay to not get something for now, especially when there are other things like it and it is a fixed goal that you can still work towards, it's not out of the question or anything!

Thanks for the constructive feedback, though, and I'll leave the thread open for a healthy conversation to continue about this.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back