• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Most Unusual Christmas Present?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This Christmas, my mom-in-law gave me a Japanese packet of edible gold flakes that she bought while she was over there on a pottery study. It really surprised me. I mean, this is something I thought I'd never see in person because to me it seems a little silly to eat gold and it's something I figured only rich people do. I joked I'd bring it to one of those "we buy gold" shops that you see all over the place.

So, I was wondering, what's the strangest thing you got for Christmas this year (or any year)?

I guess the closest thing I can think of as an 'unusual present' would be the year that a DM for a D&D campaign wrote up personalized Christmas themed magical items, along with a Christmas Eve session. It was quite amusing some six months later to still be wandering around in red and white IC since we hadn't yet replaced our gear with better stuff.

Apart from that oddity I nothing comes to mind.

I got a slab of habanero fudge this year. Simultaneously one of the sweetest and most terrifyingly hot things I've ever eaten. It was fantastic.

I once got an exelent piece of pizza, the catch was, it was made completely out of gummies, the sauce was made up of little gummies, the cheese was gummies, and... well, you get the picture.

This year I asked for and received a glider model kit that is inspired by Da Vinci’s sketches of flying machines!! I think it is unusual but it is also everything I have ever wanted and more! So it is a very good sort of unusual! I am really excited to build it and travel the world! : )

Salmiak. Back in 2014, and actually a couple days after on my birthday (5 days after xmas), When i spent a 6 month stint in okinawa, Of all places to receive it, I was given Salmiak. At least a full tin (almost EIGHT POUNDS in the tin alone... Thats a lot.)

Salmiak is a finnish, Salted black licorice. As a finn i eas greatful for it and always wanted to try it.

It tasted like an old shoe, Was about as hard to chew or break a piece off as one, Made me feel sick at some crucial points, But was strangely addicting and grew on me as such a weird acquired taste, And i buy a good quantity of it every year.

Its the weirdest gift because it was given to me through a strange series of events by a former philipino scout in his 70s who of all the peoples in the world wouldnt expect to have like 50 pounds of it in his possession of finnish made and imported salmiak. I never could understand the story of how he came across it and fell in love with it but im sure it was even more wild.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back