• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • ๐Ÿ“… February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP Munching on Asteroids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
๐ŸŒŸ Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
๐ŸŒธ FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
๐ŸŽ–๏ธ Game Master
RP Date
YE 43
RP Location
Tokyo
Motoyoshi-Cho, Tokyo
Tokyo Starport

The spaceport in the heart of the old city, Himawari Tokyo, was the busiest starport on Jiyuu III. A black sedan, polished with the flags of the Yugumo Corporation mounted on either side of the hood waited outside of the arrivals terminal for Kai Kenshin, the Chief Business Officer for Ryu Keiretsu. Motoyoshi-Igarashi Yuka had arranged for the lunch with him during their hyperspace communications regarding opportunities in the Yugumo Cluster. She wore her black hair up, in a Katsuko-style ponytail, and had on a plain black mini skirt and white button-up shirt with a Yugumo Corporation scarf tied decorative around her neck. She had with her a datapad and a folder with the logo of the Yugumo Worker's Federation neatly piled on the middle of the seat.

"He should be along shortly. Thanks, Jessica, for stepping up to drive today," Yuka said, to Jessica Adlich, her Nepleslian assistant, who was in the driver's seat.

Jessica, the middle-aged Nepleslian, and sister to the infamous late Corro Adlich smiled as she turned back towards Yuka and replied with a smile, "No worries, it gets me out of the office."

Yuka and Katsuko had already communicated about this meeting, this was an opportunity for both Ryu Keiretsu and Yugumo Corporation. It would give Ryu Keiretsu the expansion they desired, while at the same time it would assist the Yugumo Corporation in helping to get more colonists to work, especially in the hard-hit areas around Tange. Even if this was about another company taking a piece of the pie, it was a good pie to have a piece of and it helped the people. Katsuko had expressed to Yuka that the red carpet and all Jiyuu had to offer was to be extended. Yuka didn't really need the encouragement though, any chance to wine, dine, and make a deal was a good one.

@demibear

The pair did not have to wait for long as a pair of individuals exited from the arrivals terminal. One was a tall blue-haired woman wearing a grey bodysuit and black pants. The other individual was a middle-aged Yamataian man with black hair cut in a military fashion. Wearing a dark blue haori, grey Hakama, and black Jika-tabi.

"I bring greetings and wishes of good health from my Lord Ryu-Mizumitsu Masashi" Kai Kenshin says before giving Yuka a bow just deep enough to not be disrespectful. "My wife says I don't eat enough since I was hired. Perhaps you can help set her mind at ease finally." he continues with a practiced icebreaking smile on his face.

For her part, Mino Takara just stood there with a fairly neutral look on her face.

Yuka and Jessica both got out of the car, Yuka bowed gracefully to Kin Kenshin, "Welcome to Jiyuu, and please express the same wellness from myself and Ketsurui-Motyoshi Katsuko to Lord Ryu-Mizumitsu Masashi. Our spaceport personnel will have your luggage transferred to the Fuji Hotel, in New Tokyo. I'm glad you could join us. How was your flight?" she asked, as Jessica opened the front passenger-side door for Mino Takara, so the two in charge could ride together in the back. Jessica smiled, the middle-aged Nepleslian didn't bow but she held a respectful stance.

"I'm sure we can definitely arrange to fill you up, I've made reservations for us at Takeda House, in the meantime, we will be riding through Imperial Park here in Motoyoshi-cho and taking the tunnel over to the new city to the restaurant and your lodging. You picked a good time to come, we've had fairly sunny weather since the New Year started. I would be happy to take you on a tour of the city, and Jiyuu-jo if you have time after lunch and our official discussions," Yuka offered as Jessica then came back to open the back door for Kin.

Kenshin Kai smiled when the gesture of good health was returned. The customary initial salvo of this business negotiation similar to the samurai battles of ancient times had been observed. Now it was time to begin the long march. Not that he sensed any ill-will from the Motoyoshi representative. He just expected them to fight to their advantage. Mino Takara nodded her head when the mention of luggage transfer was mentioned.

"I would be most appreciative of a tour of the city after our official business is concluded. I did not have an opportunity to see this fine city the last time I was here for business. The Ryu Keiretsu has been busy establishing old Ryu merchant connections. Sunny weather is good for the body." Kenshin said continuing with his smile, stopping just short of saying not all of those connections have been happy reunions. He then nodded his head towards the front passenger seat when Jessica opened the door for Mino Takara.

"Though I do have to say there is no need for too much of the red carpet treatment. We are two businesses looking to do what we can to improve the lot of this historically tumultuous cluster." Kenshin said, emphasizing that one single word as he played the part of the guest and entered the back of the sedan first.

Yuka nodded in agreement, "We are definitely seeing to improve this region, for the Yugumo Corporation this kind of deal is more about our Colonial Management responsibility to the people of the cluster. We can't really afford to worry about our own profits in some regards, I guess it is the place where politics and business meet for us. Ketsurui-Motoyoshi Katsuko has taken our investment in the cluster very seriously, Although we've seen profits, the rewards have been in getting people back to work. There are more than enough resources and profit opportunity to go around." Jessica turned the car onto the drive through Imperial Park, the greenspace was filled with people that had gathered to walk the trails or visit the massive statue of Empress Himiko.

"In the spirit of that of course, before we get to lunch I should give you this," she handed Kin the folder with the logo of the Yugumo Worker's Federation on the cover. "Being that you're expanding in the region, the Yugumo Worker's Federation would of course be happy to help you in terms of workers and their arrangement. This is an information package from them. We do business with them closely, as they provide most of our hiring solutions. It should help you put good colonists to work, and help you navigate the process."

Once they were through the park, Jessica turned onto the interchange and the car followed the rows of illuminated lamps into the tunnel that went underneath the Motoyoshi Channel towards the Newer part of Tokyo.

Kenshin looked through the window of the car to watch the families going about their outings. Of course it was a negotiation tactic to tug at his heart strings, but he didn't mind it as much. Memories of his childhood started to come back to him as he watched a child fly a kite in a clearing. He then pushed those memories back as he returned to the present. Still with a smile on his face, he respectfully received the folder and started looking over the files as Yuka continued talking.

He briefly went over the introduction information regarding the Worker's Federation that served at the preface for the documents within the folder. He had done his research on the Worker's Federation months ago. While having political power, they seemed to be held in check by the Motoyoshi Clan and were a force of general good in keeping the more sedition-minded people in check. Kenshin then shifted over to some of the example workers currently available for hire.

Matsuura Toshiyuki, long term resident of the cluster
Experience: 10 years Heavy Machinery Technician, special experience with AI systems.

Wang-Zhang Haiyan, immigrant from Yamatai
Experience: 1 year Systems and Safety Operations

Buck Johnson, recent immigrant from Nepleslia
Experience: 20 years breaking rocks

"These look quite acceptable." Kenshin said after closing the folder after looking at Buck Johnson's entry. "I will forward this to our Human Resources department and begin hiring once we know how much to expand our workforce. Though we reserve the right to hire workers that not members of the Federation either within or outside of the Yugumo Cluster if we deem them qualified for the job. We pride ourselves on making sure our workers get their jobs and promotions purely on merit of their abilities."

Yuka nodded in approval, "They've helped us in keeping our operations manned, a good resource in this cluster. A lot has changed here since Katsuko's return here. We've managed to bring a lot of the Tange Clan's terrorists to justice and others have been pushed out of the colonies. People are starting to feel safe again." The car's journey through the tunnel to the other side of Tokyo was rather quick, the daylight and blue skies returned.

"So, tell me a bit about your operations? I'm curious to know a bit more about your company," she was curious to know more about the corporation they were about to start working with, while there were others that had shown interest in bringing their business to the cluster this was probably the most favorable. She knew that Katsuko's hopes were to bring business but to do so in a way that continued to make progress in terms of their more secondary agenda, of squashing the legacies of traitors like Kiyoko and Misato. There was a common misconception, people heard the Motoyoshi name and they assumed all of them were the same, they failed to realize Katsuko and those who ran things now had never been apart of the UOC, in fact, they had suffered nothing but trauma because of it and their whole purpose was bent around bringing the vision for Jiyuu back to what it was when the Fifth Expeditionary Fleet discovered it, a prosperous planet in the Yamatai Star Empire.

Jessica pulled the car into the parking lot for Takeda House, the restaurant where Yuka had made arrangements for the actual business lunch.

Kenshin smiled that there was no resistance to the idea of working outside of the Worker's Federation. While HR likely will use them extensively, did not want to be tied to them.

"The Ryu Keiretsu is a reformed entity. The Ryu-Mizumitsu Clan had a similar alliance of corporations in the past until the 2nd Mishhu War. The was reduced significantly after the Battle of Nataria, only avoiding annihilation due to the Star Army. An act of sacrifice they wish to repay the best they can. Combine that with many former business allies and subsidiaries being Nepleslian corporations now, they view the Yugumo Cluster and other areas of lesser development in the Empire as a prime way to repay their blood debt." Kai Kenshin, retelling the same Clan history he often hears in meetings.

"But you aren't here for a history lesson. Our operations are divided into areas of industry. Takeda Minerals and Metals is our exploration and mining division. Ryu Shipping Lines then is the primary means for us to distribute what they extract to Nataria Metalworks and then to other corporations within the keiretsu. We also source from and sell to outside corporations to ensure quality remains high.

Ryu Heavy Industries, Sakra Machinery, Homma Motors, Ryu Systems and Instruments, United Kikyo Fruit Company, and Kyoto Brewery are our primary product producers we market to the masses. Though a large focus has been on Ryu Heavy Industries and Sakura Machinery working with the Star Army of Yamatai" Kenshin continues.

Last edited:
Yuka nodded as Kenshin shared information about Ryu Keiretsu and its ventures, she drew parallels in markets they shared and obviously held at least some form of competition, when it came to competition specific things Ketsurui-Motoyoshi Katsuko had been very specific with her directives - Yugumo Corporation always had to put the needs of the colonists in the colonies they managed before profit, it was a requirement for this task the Empire had given them and it was key to them being an Imperial Corporation in Yamatai. Yuka said, "The history lesson is fine, It is refreshing to hear a version of history that isn't filled with assumption and prejudice when it comes to this region. Kenshin to be really frank with you, I understand we're coming into this holding interest in several of the same areas of the market, I just want you to know that Katsuko won't want it to interfere with what we both hope to do here." She added detail from her own research, "I did read about your contract with the Star Army, that is a good achievement for your company. We have networked operations with Ketsurui Fleet Yards, mainly with the First Expeditionary Fleet. Other than that we tend to focus on support units for the Star Army, we've made weapons development a lower priority while trying to address their other needs. We put a new tug ship and super-freighter into service for them last year."

"Let's go inside and sit down to lunch and we can go over some specific areas and what I have to offer you in those areas," she smiled and waited for him to take the lead in getting out of the car just in case he had something further to add before their lunch moved to a more public setting. Jessica stepped out of the car, she walked around and opened his door for him, and then opened the front door for his assistant and stood a few steps away.

The establishment she had arranged for lunch was Takeda House, the Yugumo Corporation's higher-end food venture that had seen a great deal of success since it opened. This specific location was more of a flagship location and test kitchen, which guaranteed the best of their chefs would be on duty. Yuka preferred it, it promised a more adventurous meal. The exterior of the building was lavishly decorated with lush gardens and pagoda-style architecture reminiscent of Jiyuu-jo, the Motoyoshi's castle on Jiyuu III.

"Ahhh, the benefit of living in a post-labor society. Our corporations can cooperate more without worrying so much about tripping over each other's profit margins." Kai Kenshin responded before stopping himself from getting into an economic philosophy debate.

"Weapon development is a medium priority for the Keiretsu. Though there is a great many old equipment still within the inventory of the Star Army of Yamatai. What was that saying... If it isn't broke, don't fix it?" he said as he got out of the car and nodded to her at the suggestion to get into the meat of the business discussions.

Both Kenshin and Takara bowed their heads to Jessica as she opened the doors.

Takeda House
Test Kitchen Location, Downtown Tokyo

Yuka opened her own door and exited the vehicle, she said in a final comment to Kenshin's words, "If only we could fix the things in society that are broken, like all the damn hearts torn by this war with the Kuvexians." She straightened her skirt and proceeded to lead the way towards the restaurant. Chimes hung and lightly clanged together in the salt-tasted ocean air, it really was a nice say - the sub-tropical weather of Tokyo sure had its advantages. They were met at the door, by a neatly dressed Yamataian woman in a Takeda House uniform, she bowed in welcome. Yuka took off her shoes, put on the provided slippers, and waited for Kenshin to do the same.

Jessica looked to Takara and smiled pleasantly, as usual assistants didn't say much - the bosses were talking, and for the most part that was what they were there for. She said quietly, "Does Mister Kin or you have any dietary concerns that I should make the kitchen aware of?" Jessica asked because she knew Takeda House, especially their test kitchen was not a place where one ordered, rather they relied on the creativity of the chefs.

The Maรฎtre d'hรดtel bowed to them again and led them all towards their arranged seating once they had changed their footwear. Bubbling rock fountains, paper lanterns and beautiful shrine-like decor filled the restaurant. It was perhaps strange for some Yamatians to see the lack of Chiharu depictions on Jiyuu, but the Motoyoshi traditions placed Yui and Himiko in much higher regard and it was their likeness that was affixed in gold and stone. Elegant tile work and carpentry were accented by bamboo and greenery. The back doors of the restaurant were open, the nautical beauty of the Motoyoshi Channel filled the background as the proud sails of Viking-style ships bobbed up and down on the waves.

"Welcome to Takeda House. Are there any specific drinks or shall we present those selected by the chef for accompaniment to your courses?" the Maรฎtre d'hรดte asked politely as one of the waitresses filled their water glasses and set the still bottle upon the table.

Mino Takara moved to help Kenshin take off his footwear. But he promptly put up a hand and a stern look that stopped her in her tracks. Normally her work was more on the security side of being an assistant, so she could never be too careful not to overcompensate the other side. Once Kenshin got into the provided slippers, he bowed his head towards Yuka to continue.

Once the two were seated, Mino Takara looked over at Jessica for a moment. She expected communication to be wireless. "Mister Kai is allergic to dairy actually. Nothing life-threatening, but it will certainly annoy him." she said in a modified Nepleslian cant for Jessica to understand her. She didn't want Kenshin knowing what the assistants were worried about his health.

Back to Kenshin, he looked at the Maรฎtre d'hรดte. "A good brandy would be nice."

"I will just have the chef's recommendations for pairing, " Yuka said, and the Maรฎtre d'hรดte left the table to let the waitstaff take over their food and drink service. Yuka wanted to get to work, the business part of the business was always the smallest, yet goal-oriented parts of these types of meetings. Relationship building was always at the forefront of the Yugumo model, networking was the key to a good business at Katsuko had been a good mentor in both the Star Army and business to Yuka.

Yuka put her datapad down on the table and moved through a few screens, "While we wait for our drinks and the first course, first and foremost let us start with the Tange System since it was the subject of your original inquiry," she said as she brought up a chart with the claim sect allocations for the Tange Belt. "Because the First Expeditionary Fleet of the Star Army and our company are engaged in active humanitarian and rebuilding in the system, it is an ideal time to get on board. We have a lot of wiggle room in terms of the claim in the Tange Belt, we've divided the belt into twenty-six relatively equal-value sects. Your company would have their choice of six of those that are available for immediate operations and of course, since you're the first ones in, you would get first pick for later claims," she explained, the monthly revenue and haul values of each sect were listed on the screen. "It really depends on how much your boss is willing to bite off, also we would need to know if you planned on independent processing or if you wanted to utilize resources at Port Siren and our mobile recently purchased Dragon Refineries." There was no denying that the deal she offered was sweetened by the fact the people of Tange just needed a break.

While they discussed the initial offers, the waitress brought the first course to the table; it was a gently cooked spicy pickled mussel with a warm broth, pea shoots, and fennel. Their drinks were then brought in a second wave, the brandy Kenshin had ordered, and a glass of white wine for Yuka.

Kenshin looked over the information on each of the 24 sects Yuka had presented him. Usually, he would send this information to the experts at corporations like Ryu Heavy Industries or Sakura Machinery. But they had thankfully sent him and Takara the information on the kinds of metals, minerals, and chemicals they were looking for the most.

Since the Ryu Kereitsu is unable to manufacture Yamatainum or Yama-Dura on their own, their metallurgists were experimenting with different alloys and minerals to develop something new material for their own use and sale. Platinum Group Metals were at the top of their priority, followed by Industrial metals and Volatiles.

"Claims 6, 8, 22, 18, 3, and 9 looks to be excellent for our needs." Kenshin said, sliding over the paperwork for those particular claims. "When it comes to our Yugumo operations, we are quite willing to contribute heavily to the development of the region. Our exploration teams are quite eager to see what is out there when allowed."

He then leaned back in his chair to take a moment to consider the needs of their mobile refineries and speak of their own plans. After a bit of thinking and stalling, he puts down the glass and leans forward.

"We are considering buying one or two mobile refineries from the Conclave's Mining Guild as well. Many of the smaller refineries we use for mobile purposes are quite old. But we are willing to purchase the use of your facilities in Port Siren and your mobile refineries to spread the workload."

He then looked at the food as it was beginning to be served. Mussels were a personal favorite of his.

Yuka looked over Kenshin's selections, she nodded and added a few notes into the datapad. "Those are good choices, I will have my secretaries at work to finalize an actual agreement when we're done." She ate the mussel appetizer with delight and commented, "That was delicious." It was nice to get out and enjoy good food, she was a huge fan of Takeda House since it launched, any chance she got to get to one she took. "Contributions are definitely welcomed, this region needs all the help it can get. Hopefully, if the Star Army gets this war out of the way we will be able to devote more of our operational power to completing the goals that have been in front of us," she replied to his statement. As they talked, the next course was brought to the table by the wait staff.

"Another amuse-bouche from our chef, an Imperial Chicken Ball - smoked chicken coated in a pancake mix and cooked in a takoyaki pan. It is served with a dollop of cilantro mayo made in house. We also have our Kameyama Lamb Sausage Roll served with a miso mustard sauce," the waitress announced as they were served what would be the final round of appetizers before the main entrees.

"It looks delicious," Yuka commented, then turned her attention back to the business at hand. She wanted to get the main articles out of the way before they finished lunch, that way she could tweak things a little as the visit went on. "So, the other projects I mentioned would include an immediately available claim in the Siren System, which is a three sect package. Mandatory use of Port Siren is required for this one, but we've found a lot of rare ruthenium and other metals in the Akuma Belt," she mentioned and then passed the datapad towards her guest, while he would take a look she would sneak a few bites of her food.

Kai Kenshin took the pause in their discussion to sample the mussel appetizer. It had been some time since he had some. Despite his relatively high position as an employee of the Ryu-Mizumitsu Clan, he didn't really have the time to enjoy a properly cooked mussel like right now.

He washed it down with his brandy before he resumed talking about business. "We are very much interested in those claims if they possess the rarest of the Platinum Metal Group." he said with a smile. "However, if we are mandated to use the facilities at Port Siren then I ask that we be able to use our own refining facilities in the Tange system once they are online. It helps us sort out which intermediate products are destined for industrial consumers in the cluster and our facilities outside of it."

He then paused and pulled out a file from within his clothing. "Speaking of Port Siren, we wish to establish a few local industrial shipyards and research facilities here. Both for manufacturing of products for sale and another line for the production of the frames and basic systems of the M19 Ryoko Mecha. I believe it will help Yugumo Corporation mate the Thought Project components we were explicitly forbidden to even look at let alone make and install. Something about our connections to Nepleslian business interests or something." he continued in a somewhat annoyed tone. But he knew such was business for the Keiretsu.

He then looked at the main courses beginning to filter to the table. His stomach growled in hunger, embarrassing him.

Give and take, it was part of doing business, in this case, it was more a matter of strategy. Yuka nodded in agreement, "That is fair, so in the Tange System you will provide your own processing and in the Siren System you will utilize Port Siren." She smiled, and pretended she did not hear the rumble in her guest's stomach, hunger and in this case a hopeful quick close out on the last items of business before the more pleasant end of networking and relationship building could continue, "In regards to Siren, the Star Army has some restrictions in that system. So while you will have access to your claim there your actions in the system will be slightly restricted. In terms of setting up industrial shipyards there, and research facilities unfortunately that won't be able to happen. Instead, I would recommend those activities be placed in the Shugosha System, the Star Army isn't as picky with what goes on there," she informed him, regret in her tone.

Yuka took a sip of her wine and forced a smile, it said more than it needed to. A warning almost for him not to press further on that and just agree. With the First Expeditionary Fleet's secret underground base, Nemesis Bastion, being positioned in the Siren System she knew that things had to be conducted with a certain caution in that system. She was a vetted VIP, head of the company that helped the base come into existence. Hopefully, Kenshin got the point and would agree to the alternative plan, it would also get them to be able to eat sooner.

Even though the last two amuse-bouche remained on the table, the waitress still delivered the first course, she announced the serving, "Jiyuuian scallops with aquaculture seaweed, roasted maitake mushrooms and kohlrabi, in a brown butter sauce with a maple vinaigrette. The maple for the vinaigrette came from Ainu Orchards."

Kai Kenshin truly thought he was making headways with what the end goal the Ryu-Mizumitsu clan was aiming for, increased industrial production to prove themselves to the Empire. When he heard that was not a possibility, he had to force himself not to visibly so any emotion. He wasn't surprised he was getting push back. But the Ryu Mizumitsu Clan was prepared for this very likely event. There were a high number of points of interest for exploration within the Shugosha System.

He also saw the forced smile of Don't bother pushing. He simply grabbed his brandy and drank for a longer period than normal. "Very well, I will recommend we abandon that proposal and accept Shugosha as just a research base. Given the history of the system, we do not believe it is proper to establish shipbuilding there. We will look to other locations for that." Kai Kenshin said, keeping his face as emotionlessly as possible so Yuka has a hard time discerning this was pre-arranged. He had no desire to let Imperial politics ruin a good business relationship. Especially when he had no power to change them.

He looked down at the first course and proceeded to serve himself some of the components of the dish. If a server insisted on doing it for him, he would politely lie to them he isn't as old as he looks.

The waitress smiled and let the man serve himself, she retreated from the table as it was obvious the discussions were still in progress.

"In consolation, we're currently building Port Jiyuu, (See: Port Jiyuu Proposal) and we would be happy to give you shipyard capacity there. It was supposed to be completed at the end of last year, but we faced some delays because of the Kuvexian War. Hopefully, that can help make up for our failure to be able to work out such facilities in the Siren System." Yuka said, it was her final proposal, at least for now - they both needed to enjoy their food.

Yuka gave a nod to Jessica, just so that she knew that she and Kai's assistant could eat as well, it was customary sometimes for assistants not to partake, but that would have been very much against the Motoyoshi ways.

Yuka looked down at the dish served to her, it was interesting she had not considered the combination of maple and scallops before. Takeda House had so far outdone themselves on the menu. She politely waited for the final say on her last offer, she didn't want to go ahead and eat without him.

"I will need to talk to Lord Ryu-Mizumitsu, but you can put it down as a tentative yes." Kenshin said with a practiced smile. He had little doubt that Ryu-Mizumitsu Masashi would turn down an offer to be located in the heart of the Yugumo Cluster. With that, he paused any other proposals he had to offer so that they can properly eat.

Mino Takara, still playing the part of assistant waited for the others to serve themselves before she touched any of the food. The last thing she needed to hear was she lacked the refinement to function outside of being the Chief Security Officer. Playing Bodyguard and Executive Assistant has its perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back