• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Closed Naming the Korean Sub-Culture

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
Well, I noticed Wes and some other folks have characters of Korean ethnicity in Yamatai. This suggestion comes with two parts.

1. I was thinking since Yamatai itself is named after the ancient Japanese Kingdom. We could call the Korean sub-culture Gojoseon after the ancient Korean Kingdom.
  2. In that, I was also thinking about making a cultural page for them under Yamatai.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I’m gonna hold off voting, but don’t think translating every single real world culture into a SARP wiki article is very useful or necessary. Doing so limits future players into using one creator’s fictional interpretation of something that is much wider than could be put onto the site’s wiki. Some of the best cultural RP in Yamatai comes from players simply knowing cool Norse or Japanese cultural elements to finesse into their writing, and I’ve seen some attempts at codifying real life cultural elements (like Shintoism) actually make it harder to include cool culture because suddenly you have to do it this way on SARP.

That said, I think a good start to including “Korean stuff” would be to include what’s already been put into canon, such as that Miyamae once had a Neko production facility that made Korean-named Neko. Further, it might be useful to simply say that the Korean language/Hangul writing are a dialect of Yamataigo (since that’s basically where it stands right now) and give them some kind of special setting-specific names. Look into where Wes’s Korean-themed characters are from, too, to see if there’s any place that this dialect can be localized to.

While I agree with @raz on the point of not translating real-world culture into SARP, we need to avoid that. I do have to say that it would be awesome to see more cultural development within Yamatai. Because you can see that certain clans are setting their own ethics, views, and believes. It would be awesome to see that more developed as for example Motoyoshi has done so far being a strong supporter of Yamatai vision.

So while this suggestion might not survive the upvote round, it would be awesome brain food to think about the cultural impact from the start of Yamatai till now.

I can understand that point too, it was more I seen the characters Wes had and was like...Odd. There is no real information on this.

I also can't find the references to the cloning facility on Miyamae, had I been able to find them I would have included them in the system's history. Can you point this out @raz ?

I'm not upvoting, but I think it would do good for Yamatai to take cues in its society from other places in Eastern culture than just Japan. Or to have other subcultures.

I also can't find the references to the cloning facility on Miyamae, had I been able to find them I would have included them in the system's history. Can you point this out @raz ?
This character, Baek SeonJi, is approved in-canon.

"Family: Any other nekos produced by Ketsurui Zaibatsu with the last name Baek, according to official records. Most of these these neko were produced on Miyamae II in the Yugumo Cluster."

While that's a pretty short description, it is something that occurred and got approved at the time. There's probably a line or two of RP buried out on the forums like a needle in a haystack. During discussions waaaaaaaaay back then on the Star Army IRC (unfortunately before the time of archives or discord), it was figured that the Baek batch weren't the only Neko from Miyamae with Korean names written in Hangul instead of Kanji/Kana, and that it was "a thing" that the Miyamae facility did due to local culture. Would hate to see that near little bit of worldbuilding get trampled over.

Thanks Raz I will make sure I add something about it into the system article because I dove pretty hard to find what I could for that system when I updated it.

We don't need to use a real ancient kingdom or every direct Korean analog, but it would be nice to have a name as opposed to "Korean-like" every time someone decides they want to make a Korean character. One route I am going is the Ryu of the Ryu Mizumitsu as I develop them more are Lianjia migrated into the Korean-like subculture since it is the same character as a Liu.

IRL there are plenty of examples in Korea and Japan of clans not of native origin.

You could also maybe ask a few of our korean community members for ideas, or even pointers perhaps. I'm sure they could help give a view into aspects of the culture.

You could also maybe ask a few of our korean community members for ideas, or even pointers perhaps. I'm sure they could help give a view into aspects of the culture.

@Jack Pine It would be great to get their input, well everyone's input because I mean these characters are there, and as @demibear said it is a bit strange using "Korean-like" as a descriptor. Be it a culture page, or just some reference it would be nice to be able to say something other than that.

Wes once said this here: https://discord.com/channels/368976571781873665/631287180957974551/646531436815319043:
As the FM of Yamatai, let me say that it's okay and good for any Earth culture to represented in Yamatai. You can make Italian Yamataians and Mexican Yamataians and Jamaican Yamataians and South African Yamataians and Egyptian Yamataians and Korean Yamataians and Norse Yamataians and Chinese Yamataians and Gypsy Yamataians and Palistinian Yamataians

Yes there are a lot of Korean NPCs from Wes but saying "these Korean-like characters get a subculture" might make it less apparent that it's okay to go off the beaten track and make a different Earth culture or ethnicity represented in a character. Just food for thought.

He has also mentioned that Yamataians are just Nepleslians of a major culture. So I have an idea of making a Nepleslian sub-culture that just happens to use Korean names and a bit of their cultural influence.

It looks like this suggestion isn't really tickling people's fancy so I'm going to close it.

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back