• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Closed Narrative-based approach to Speed

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.

Whisper

Retired Staff
Inspired by Alex's Rework how armor affects STL speeds in DRv3 thread.

As an alternative to using speed on ship pages, any thoughts on doing a DRv3 approach to speeds where instead of saying, '0.375c' we say 'Advanced, Fast' with a link to the appropriate section on the speed page?

This gives us a few wins:
  1. Making new stuff is a bit less number crunchy
  2. It's easier to get a feel for how fast/slow something is if you're not familiar with SARP's speed system. I'm not sure if most people even know that 0.375c is considered very fast or not. Using plain English feels like a win.
  3. This may also be a loss, but we don't need to worry about the speeds in between the stated values. IE, ships wouldn't be running at 0.36c because it doesn't map to the table. I don't know if we have ever or will ever use the speeds to an extent that a .15c difference matters IC.
  4. We don't need to convert old articles. The system isn't changing, we're just making the existing templates easier to read. If people want to convert, they have that option.
  5. I've been thinking of making a PA/frame/fighter/ship builder in Sheets and letting people choose these values as dropdowns is simpler for the user than having them try and figure it out on their own.
Something I'm not sure of and am interested in input for:
  • In addition to the Slow/Average/Fast scale, we also have further speeds possible by reducing your armor - up to 3 steps faster.
    • Do we use more 'Very'-s for each reduction in armor? IE, unarmored would be Very Very Very Fast ...
    • or something more sensical like, 'Very Fast', 'Exceptionally Fast', 'Incredibly Fast' or something along those lines?

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
If you want it to be on a more narrative based-basis you'd also have to take into consideration how a given vessel decelerates. We can't just slam on graphene-based brake pads.

I'm holding off on Acceleration/Deceleration in this suggestion because we've been discussing it in the other one. I agree that it should be a consideration somewhere, likely on the Speed Standard itself.

My worry with this is that we would lose the granularity of individual factions having speed standards that represent their tech with this.

My worry with this is that we would lose the granularity of individual factions having speed standards that represent their tech with this.
Maybe we can support that by linking to those tables instead? So instead of 'Advanced, Fast' you get 'SAoY, Fast' or something along those lines?

I'm mostly looking to move away from the numbers and into something that provides better context for a casual user of the wiki. Very open to suggestions.

Closed due to lack of votes.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back