• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission [NDC] "Ancile" Shield System

Whisper

Retired Staff
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=corp:conclave_ship_works:csw-s1-s1-ancile
List Any Unapproved Sub-Articles
Submission Faction(s)
  1. NDC
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
A new capital-ship class shield system for the NDC. The art is for a ship that I'm working on, but it isn't going to be submitted just yet.

The sub-article is the new corp that's going to be producing military-specific stuff for the NDC.

As an FM for the NDC faction, I approve!

Thanks!

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I can't wrap my one brain cell around how "[various stuff] pass around the bubble and emerge on the other side along their normal trajectory." If it's going around it seems like it'd be deflected and move off its previous trajectory to me. Just help me understand in the thread, for now.

Extreme gravity bends space and radiation (Sensors, light, etc.). As I understand it, the bubble from this product bends visible light and the radiation/other stuff from active sensors (The kind of sensors that have to send out a signal and then receive one back, like sonar or radar or ultrasonic) around the ship by warping space. This means that instead of the emissions hitting the ship and generating a sensor return, the sensor doesn't see anything.

Gravitational-lensing-galaxyApril12_2010-1024x768.jpg

The idea is that it uses something like gravitational lensing (seen above) to bend light (and pretty much anything else) around the ship and out the other side. It's still physically present, but the effect causes it to seem to vanish.

There's some similarities to experiments using a series of lenses, in regards to passing light 'around' objects.

Screenshot_20201118-204628~2.png

Invisible stars and galaxies are a really neat phenomenon. Gravity is weird. The Ancile's gravity shroud is a bit of a fantastic take on the concept.

So this doesn't apply to starships, then? I was asking to know how a ship on a course would pass through it, since my mind went to ship when it read "light, sensor waves, most solid objects, and more".

It would apply to starships. Without restrictions, this would split a starship, planet, etc, around itself wherever it touched, and then attempt to put them back together on the other side - which wouldn't work, I think? Seems like the molecular bonds would be irreparably broken at that point, but I haven't really looked into it.

The article avoids this by saying that the shroud still takes damage like any other shield. Trying to weaponize the Shroud in this way would just cause it to fail on impact, same as any other shield, and then you'd be ramming another ship unprotected. The parts that were touched before the Shroud failed would probably be weirdly warped apart, but I don't think it's a viable weapon. I don't intend for it to be a weapon, either.

Last edited:
Crazy as I am looking into the Holdo maneuver rn, unrelated lol. I didn't watch the recent movies :x

I want to know what @Alex Hart says about ships.

I didn't think about it being weaponized, I was just thinking about a ship passing through it vs being deflected and which follows from the bending of gravity.

I think that a starship is likely to be beyond the capabilities of this type of shield to "bend" around whatever the shield was on, but if it were, I think it would not split said starship, but more likely bend the whole starship "around" and to the other side. As I said earlier though, I don't think that this shield would be able to do so, as it would drain the power or some other in-universe explanation for the shield getting depleted and failing as one starship collides with another.

MAYBE something like this would happen if you were talking about like, a power armor trying to ram a tier 14 or 15 capital ship, but that's an edge case.

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki-style guidelines, including No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Approved

RPG-D RPGfix
Back