• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission [NDC] BW-E-2 Anima System

Whisper

Retired Staff
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=faction:ndc:technology:anima_system
List Any Unapproved Sub-Articles
Submission Faction(s)
  1. NDC
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
The Anima System is a new tech designed to progress the NDC's culture and military goals - namely, we want more people in mechs, armors, etc, and we want to make them feel cool doing it. That includes the NDC's civilians, who will gradually start using this more and more in their daily lives. There's a lot of prose for fluff and RP considerations, so here's the basic overview.

The Anima System has these distinguishing features:
  • Allows a user to 'possess' a machine and control it as though it were their natural body
  • Can be used to perform body transfers, though with a handful of catches and a longer timeline than other similar systems
  • Users can become trapped in their machines if they spend too long in them or become 'disinterested' in their original, organic body
  • If a machine being possessed by a user is sufficiently destroyed, the user dies permanently
  • In general, it takes one feature from the original Geist and makes it into a broader, more accessible system that should be balanced and fun for players
The article also has a sub-article for an update to the Geist, one of the NDC's long-time techs that gives the user a HUD and allows for remote vehicle operation.
  • It ret-cons how easily a user can use the original Geist to take control of vehicles (it's harder now for most people)
  • It transfers most users to using the Anima System for 'possessing' machines, which has more drawbacks than the original, but is more accessible
  • Makes the installation of the Geist much easier, so that it can be widespread in the population and we can deal with all the pros and cons of that
  • Has a Civilian-specific setting that places greater limits on the use of the Geist, but still allows users to possess certain things (like construction mechs!)
I think that covers the basics. As a Co-FM of NDC, I approve this submission. :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hey all! It's been about two and a half weeks since I submitted this, so I'm just bumping it to raise visibility. :)

Okay so read over the Anima system, really good, inspired by one of my favorite mech piloting systems in sci fi. The article is solid for the most part but I have some questions, mainly involving permanent posession.
  • While it is mentioned that there is a 'time limit' and I get it's different for each thing, I would recommend a 'loose' time limit example for people who plan to make tech involving this, so they they can put a time limit on their own creations. Something like "No one from testing was able to stay in a humanoid machine for more than 3 days without risk of permanent possession, and the time for non-humanoid machines was even less" Something like that to establish a ball park for people to play around in.
  • You mention in permanent possession that "Their body is no longer a candidate for entanglement" but candidacy is never mentioned before or explained it's written like as long as anima is plugged up and they have the brain scans, it can work. So you might want to explain about why they can't just let their body 'reset' or something before jumping back in.

Hey Syaoran! Thanks for taking on the review.

I've expanded on your first point a bit after talking to the other FMs. I liked your non-humanoid machine suggestion and incorporated it. It fits well with what we're trying to accomplish. :D

For the second point, I saw most of the things I wanted to convey were already present. I changed up some wording and removed 'candidacy'. Let me know if that seems better!

Thanks again!

Okay that's looks good. Just addressing the second part brought up one question based on the answer you picked. Since your body becomes no longer 'compatible' after divergence. Does this mean that someone using the Anima, can't say jump into another organic body that is 'empty' cause they forced someone out? It has to be either a machine, or a 'blank' organic body that hasn't already adapted to a mind?

Asking because I'm pretty sure someone is gonna try to body snatch. Other than this the article is good, I'll read the sub article tomorrow.

Yep, that's the intent. You could make a new body and transfer into it, but you couldn't transfer into a body that someone has 'inhabited' before. The system wouldn't even attempt it, since it couldn't suitably alter the 'target brain'.

The sub article is basically the original Geist with a slight nerf to its ability to control machines, an increase in range, and a much easier install process.

Thanks in advance :D

Oaky two questions on the geist 2.0
  • First, is this article going to stay separate from the original geist article? If so you'll have to make it clear on the original that it's been discontinued or something, but ideally we would like it if you could compress this all into one article.
  • Though it is loosely implied that the Geist needs a vehicle with wireless connectiviy and remote operation functions to take over a vehicle, the 2.0 article does not actually explicitly state that, so making a section of "What can the Geist control" or something like that needs to be present to avoid future confusion

For the first point- the wiki has lots of examples of different iterations of a thing. Plumerias, Nekos, etc, so that's any I chose this approach. I suspect we'll have both versions I'm active use for at least a little while. That said, I don't mind consolidating the articles together. How do you recommend maintaining the original version? I could do a link to the previous version using the history?

The second part sounds fine. I'll get that added tonight.

Thanks!

Sorry for the long delay before reply. As for consolidation, you don't have to consolidate them if you don't want to, I just needed to ask to make sure the information that was needed for this was on this article as well. Everything is looking good though, want to go ahead and have this approved as it is now?

If you're good with it, then please do. :)

Thank you for all the suggestions, they definitely strengthened the articles.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back