• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

OOC [NDC] NDS Ravenaca's Watch

Whisper

Retired Staff
Hello all!

The NDS Ravenaca's Watch is a new NDC-centric plot ship I've got in the works. We'll be using one of the new Spectre-class cruisers (when it meets all appropriate standards, etc, for in character use - Work In Progress link) tasked with exploring systems in the NDC's corner of the sector.

What to Expect
High-level, I intend for the ship to kick the bee hive of new NDC enemy every so often and deal with the fallout from that. Expect a mix of combat on the ground and in space using Frames. When the ship isn't getting into trouble, we'll be focused on exploring new worlds, meeting some new alien cultures, and generally getting to know our space a little better.

I'd like for this plot to be fairly character-centric, so where I can I'd like to pick up on plot threads that let the crew shine, work through their issues, and so on. This means that in some places I might have a light touch and let players drive things for a while before moving the plot along.

If all goes well, we should have a nice mix of character building, combat, and so on. I'm thinking that this plot will be somewhat episodic in nature, with elements here and there that tie it all together.

What to Play
Despite being a large ship, the Spectre's crew requirements are fairly light. If you want to play on the bridge crew, you're welcome to do so. You can also play as a Frame/fighter pilot or infantry. Some of what the ship faces will depend on the specifics of the crew and player interest.

I'm especially interested in getting more of our players into Frame combat, so I think I'd like to see a handful of Frame pilots who can also go groundside. The Ravenaca's Watch will be doing her best to stay away from combat situations, so if you want to play on the bridge you may also want to have another character who can go out on the front lines.

Engineers, scientists, etc, should likewise be prepared to hop off the ship or get into a fight from time to time. A big part of what drives a plot like this is characters leaving the ship from time to time, even if it doesn't always make tactical sense. ;) Think Star Trek.

All that said, any characters that would make sense within the NDC are welcome. If you think a character might make sense, but aren't sure - let me know and we can figure out the details.

When will we start?
In the next week or two, though we can put together a thread for everyone to start getting to know each other in the ship's port once we see what interest looks like. I'd like between 3 and 6 players. Post cadence will be figured out once we see who we've got.

If you're interested, post here or send me something on Discord!

You going to allow exchange officers? I need to make a NDC character, but I also have a semi-orphaned officer too I love using.

A lot of the plot will be oriented around Frame combat, looking at the current list of characters. So long as your character is okay to get in the mix on that, I think you'll have a good time. We'll still be going surface-side without frames from time to time, so survivalist and scout skills won't go to waste -but it isn't the main focus of the plot.

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm happy to have you, just want to make sure you have fun. :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

As you might have remembered, I took over the Ravenaca's Watch plot to end its first plot arc in the last year or so. After that, I had to take a bit of a break for life stuff and to re-examine how I GM in order to make it more sustainable for myself.

Now, after plenty of time to think, plot, and scheme, I'm ready for the soft-reboot of the plot. It's going to be mostly run through monthly JPs, which will run for a few days each month to give us time to get through the meat of a major plot beat. In between, players will be free to do RP between themselves, or get me if they want me involved for some stuff, though I can't promise posts in SP any more than once a week.

This first major plot beat will have the Watch, now loaded down with new crew after its shakedown cruise, starting a mission to patrol and explore the edges of the NDC's newly settled systems, starting with Newhaven.

I am interested, though it depends on what time/day the JPs will be?
I said this in the discord already, but I'm reposting it here for others: I'm fairly flexible with the JP dates, and it's probably fine if players don't make every single one. Additionally, they're likely to run over two or three days total so that people will have plenty of time to get involved and make revisions. A likely starting date for the JPs might be on Friday night, running into the rest of the weekend.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back