• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission [NDC] Spectre-class Stealth Cruiser

Whisper

Retired Staff
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=faction:ndc:starships:csw-s1-spectre#spectre-class_stealth_cruiser
List Any Unapproved Sub-Articles

(To be submitted separately)
Submission Faction(s)
  1. NDC
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
A new plot ship for the NDC!

Jack, Alex, and I have all had a hand in working on this and it gets my approval as FM.

There's a couple of unapproved articles used on the Spectre's article that I'll submit separately because they don't have a major impact on the ship itself, but I wanted to identify them regardless.

Thanks in advance!

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ghost chamber:
You linked Ghosts within the ship article but not the ghost chamber one. When are you planning on submitting the occupation?
How is it activated? Explain in article
It is an anima system but an anima system requires, "A set of simple discs, located on either side of the user's head..." no? This doesn't seem to have any connective points at all. Maybe add in to the chamber article how the discs are connected.

I'm a little (a lot) hung up on the HAVOC being on this ship.

First of all, it's overpowered for what our setting expects from tier 12 ships.
Here are some tier 12 ship's weapon systems:

Notice none of them have a tier 14 main weapon, most of them have tier 12 ones. The one that has a tier 13 even has a lower rate of fire. It's simply overpowered for the ship. From DR page, Tier 14 weapons are fielded by ships 7,544 feet, 4,051.8 feet, and 74,114 feet in length. You're within DR limitations for your total weaponry, though, I'll give you that after the number crunching but it still looks like an overpowered weapon for the ship and, also, the faction. NDC is full of growth and full of players and full of lots of things, but as the buildup limitations state: "Many individuals hate being the little person or the weak guy in a setting. This comes from the subconscious desire to keep one's creation safe from those who would cause it harm. But we must also remember that in roleplay, weakness is also necessary for both realism and, in most cases, having fun overcoming obstacles." There's something to be said for building up the locations, building up the people, building up allegiances, building up the player experiences of getting to that tier 14 weapon rather than just having it. I hope this came across clear enough. I'm a little too hung up on how overpowered it is to continue this without a bit from you @Whisper to know if tier 13 is okay for the HAVOC. That's all I'm asking, to be clear, but sometimes I draw out asking the tough stuff.

Aether weaponry is also not available outside of factions that use it, like Yamatai and to some extent Nepleslia and Kuvexia. I asked Wes about the HAVOC's aether ammunition specifically and it didn't fit.

Hey Ame! Thanks for the review!

I updated the Ghost Chamber to mention that users without a Geist can use a headband located within the unit to use the built-in Anima System. Geist users don't need the headband/discs. Thanks for catching this. :D

I also linked the 'Ghost' part of 'Ghost occupation' to the relevant page.

Some thoughts on the Havoc's 'OP-ness', because my goal wasn't to go crazy OP, I promise!
  • We have a T15 weapon on the Albion from 2017. The Shiva can fire up to T13 and is also from 2017. I know old stuff isn't a justification, but I think it matters if there's concern about the NDC suddenly having access to T14 weaponry. We've been in this weapon tier for a long time.
  • I was looking at the Plumeria as a guide for what sort of weapons to put onto a ship and it fields a T13 as a T11-sized ship. A T14 on a T12 seemed appropriate at the time and is within the weapon guidelines. (I understand the Plumeria/SAoY tech is very advanced - but it doesn't break the rules)
    • That said, I didn't consider that the Fuji and others in its weight class fielded main guns of a lower caliber - my goal wasn't to outgun other ships of its size.
  • For the aether explosion option, the Shock Array's T12 option has a total effect area of 6.89x10^12 kms. This weapon's T12 option (despite being a T14 weapon) has a significantly smaller area (1.13x10^10). The RoF is doubled, yes, but it has ~.0016% the area of effect.
    • Additionally, the Ge-Z1 Torpedo has an option that has a 32km radius, is aether-based, ranges from T13-T15, and isn't restricted to Yamatai or Nepleslian forces. We could use the torpedoes as ammo and hit 1-3 tiers higher. (We wouldn't! Just pointing it out.)
  • 8 shots/minute at T14 is too much, I agree. I intended for it to be a little less than the Shock Array's RoF, so I'm not sure why I landed at 8. Probably when I decided to give it a revolver-style loader. I've reduced this to 4 rounds/minute, which is 1 less than the Shock Array
    • I also bumped the T11 RoF down to 48 shots/minute, just for symmetry with an 8 round cylinder.
  • I sent over a note on Discord on the aether weaponry topic.
    • If the use of aether is still an issue, I've got some other ideas on how to address the tech to achieve a similar goal. It seemed like a good stepping stone, which I agree is something we wanted to do.
I don't think that the HAVOC was/is OP even with the original RoF (a difference of 5 rounds/minute and 8 rounds/minute isn't that huge in the grand scheme of things), but I do hear you and respect what you're saying.

Let me think on down-tiering the weapon and what I should do to adjust for that. Like I said - I didn't set out to make a bigger gun than the other ships in this tier, just to do something similar to one of the ships I'm familiar with and within the rules.

Last edited:
Alright, as a follow-up: I nudged most of the numbers down a tier, but kept the aether explosion at T12. I think this lines it up pretty well as 'comparable, but weaker' to something like the Shock Array. It also leaves an entire T13 weapon off the ship, which I agree with Ame is a fair trade for some of the other ship's capabilities.

Thanks for the feedback!

Giving this a bump, it seems like everything Ame asked about has been addressed and it's been sitting for a few days now.

Any chance of getting a price for these?

This starship isn't available for sale, so we didn't give it a price, similar to the way that most SAoY starships aren't priced. Is one necessary, that being the case?

Last edited:
I think Wes is wanting a price for everything in structs, I'd expect to see an approximate replacement cost on SAoY ships too, shortly.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back