• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Gaming Neat Space Warfare Game (NEBULOUS: Fleet Command)

raz

SAINT Director
🌟 Site Supporter
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Just picked up this cool space navy simulator on Steam because it was on sale. It's really awesome! You can customize everything about your ships within the task force/squadron, from exacting RGB colors to guns to the symbols that you and other players see (I chose YSS with the SAINT roundel as an experiment and it looks great ;)). Even ship registry numbers and names! Current names I've got are randomized ones, but you can call your ships anything you want.

There are torpedoes/missiles, railguns, cannons, and point defense stuff. I've seen it described as warfare from The Expanse as a game, but it's a little slower than what was depicted there. But NEBULOUS does model momentum and heading and a ton of neat stuff. It's really complex while being simple at the same time. There are currently two factions, one more high tech and military oriented while the other uses a lot of "older" ships and refit cargo/civilian ships.

Playing it even the handful of times I have so far is really inspiring for spaceship combat. It's also really easy on my aging graphics card, and a lot of people apparently run it on their "potato" computers. Check it out!

Here's a couple of "Command Cruisers" from the low tech faction.20230301230218_1.jpg

Played this game with the high tech faction to grab some screenshots.
20230302131308_1.jpg

This is a shot from "Tactical," which shows you a lot more but is less detailed. The cones are stuff like jammers or active sensors, and all the lines are either course/headings or attack vectors. Feels like you're really in command of a little fleet!
20230302132803_1.jpg

This is a shot of the Damage Control screen after someone sneak attacked me with a billion missiles on my 3 light cruisers. You can prioritize where your teams go (and even prioritize damage control resources during shipbuilding)! Spoilers: we survived and won.
20230302132158_1.jpg

Post-game continues the simulationist bent and gives you tons of details on what happened during the battle.
20230302134114_1.jpg

These last two are just a couple of HUD-less shots of my ships firing on one of the kamikaze torpedo boats, and flying through space to address a new threat.
20230302132500_1.jpg 20230302132603_1.jpg

Current names I've got are randomized ones, but you can call your ships anything you want.
Sitting there watching the randomizer give you "YSS Smoky Deuce" was a highlight! I really like the HUDless screens and your choice of words alongside them. Cool new medium to insert star army and to rp ship-based combat. R&R from writing the mission is sometimes just a vidya gaming a different mission :laugh:

RPG-D RPGfix
Back