• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Nepleslia] [Aggressor Refit] NAM Assault Mass Repeater AMP-02a

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I really hate to be that guy but I think we have a volume issue.
GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg
This is the GAU-8 with a drum of 1,350 rounds of 30mm ammo, which looks like this
1575561811305.jpeg
The AMP-02a is carrying almost 4.5 times the number of beer bottles as the A-10 Warthog! In sci-fi it’s really easy to lose track of scale and I’m sure that’s what happened years ago. While I generally tend to avoid dwelling on it I’d recommend updating the article to use a more reasonable size as even a teddy bear can sink a battleship if it is moving fast enough. A 20 mm or even a 10mm round made with a high density metal and maybe some kind of magnetic ‘afterburner’ style barrel could giddy these bullets up to ludicrous speed and become vastly more suitable for the application of a machine gun the size you want and give you ammo for days!

Another thing to look at is the weight of the ammunition. As it stands, with 30x170mm rounds, the ammunition weight would be a tad over 5 tons for the amount you want. I think this is a symptom of many other guns using this 30mm ammunition having ammunition counts that are far too high, and, frankly, doing very little damage for rounds of their size. A more reasonable size for the damage this is meant to do may be APDS .50cal or maybe 15mm if we want to get funky.

I'm not the one who made the original 30mm Chaingun for Nepleslia, I just adapted the round it uses for something bigger. And yes, this is a bigger weapon than the extant 30mm weapon.

Has there been any update on this? Have Alex or Rizzo put in place a comprehensive plan to replace Nepleslia's extant 30mm ammunition with something else?

If not, I would ask for @Ametheliana to please continue her review.

My plan currently is to replace the 30x170mm ammo with 12.7x100mm ammo in a retcon, with SLAP replacing the normal slug ammunition, and fixing the description of the high explosive armor piercing round to match the damage description (IE piercing armor first, then exploding), but I'll need the go-ahead from @Legix or @Charmaylarg Dufrain before I begin edits.

So long as the damage tier remains the same in the end, The namespace is changed and any alternate changes along the way are listed here after the fact you have my go ahead

Are you just changing the dimensions of the ammo itself or the whole lot like the 30mm chainguns name, links etc? Just so i know whether or not i have to do that down the line.

The whole lot will be changed as I go through any backlinks from the ammo. The damage tier is intended to stay the same, and I feel like these round dimensions and design better fit the current damage tiers than the rounds from an A-10.

@Ametheliana I see you started out with this? I am noticing that the issues brought up by those who have chimed in have not been addressed, however. Just a bump to see if we can get this moving again.

Thank you, Have a great SARP Day!

I got the go-ahead from Charmaylarg for that retcon of the ammo size, it's up to reviewers if they think the ammunition capacity is still to high or if it is fine with the new ammo sizes.

I would like to point out that no NTSE staffer objected to the ammo count. That was all you and Rizzo- and neither of you are Submission Mods.

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate and are not broken
[ ❌ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ✅ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ✅ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:

I find the following to be excessive, beyond just the ammo count:

1. Effective Range: 5000 meters in the atmosphere. - I see this kind of distance, in the atmosphere for an armor suit weapon to be rather excessive.
2. I do find the ammo count to be excessive as well, 6,000 rounds in a 35kg drum. This just don't make sense to me.

When these fixes are made, please post a reply here so I can re-check the article. Thank you!

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=faction:nepleslia:weapons:12.7mm_medium_chaingun Is a smaller weapon with the same type of ammo, and it carries 650 rounds in a drum while the entire weapon, drum included, weighs the same as this weapon's Ammo Drum.

Additionally, the ammo drum for this is exceedingly large- as in, it is not made to be carried by normal Power Armor, but by the Aggressor https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=faction:nepleslia:equipment:aggressor which is 13 feet tall; and the Ammo pack itself is meant to be carried in one of the Aggressor's Weapon Case System.

Additionally, the previous version of this weapon, which does not have a page ( https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?...t:aggressor#nam_assault_mass_repeater_amp-01a ) carried 5,000 rounds.

I can change the effective range to be 2km in Atmosphere, and the ammo count to roughly 2,500 rounds (half of what the original version of this weapon could carry).

I'm not trying to justify it, I'm trying to point out why I gave it the large ammo drum. This was to keep it in line with the previous version of the AMP, because if you haven't noticed, I keep getting accused of making stuff for Nepleslia that isn't "Nepleslian" enough, so any radical deviations tends to cause me to get grief. I am perfectly willing to change what Andrew found disagreeable, I just want to justify and explain myself because I am tired of having to defend myself to the peanut gallery.

Edit: And I don't want to have to deal with people accusing me of deliberately making Nepleslian stuff 'worse'.

First of all, @Ametheliana said it perfectly. I stand behind that and the unifying idea of "What is good for Star Army."

Furthering my comments, I find the 5,000m to be unreasonable in the atmosphere, and also in terms of player usability:

This is what I would find more reasonable in terms of range:
  • Effective Range: 2000 meters in the atmosphere.
  • Maximum Range: 3,000 meters in the atmosphere with severely reduced-accuracy.

In terms of the Ammo, the reduction from 6,000 rounds to 2,5000 rounds is acceptable.

Nextly, I'm sorry you're having the experience you're having in the "peanut gallery". The Community experience is often what you make of it but, it has NO impact on decisions and reviews in this forum. Reviewers are not part of any kind of popularity contest. Please leave personal discussions out of your review answers and posts in this section please as that they cause undue drama in threads.

I went with an Effective range of 2000 meters, and a maximum range of 4000 to bring it in line with other weapons that use the ammunition.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back